Heritage Challenges(New thread) [2 available for reboot]

I'd like to again nominate an (unintentionally) connected series of challenge threads for Heritage status.

The basic idea for each is: figure out how to reload and reuse a launch vehicle for multiple payloads without bringing it back into the VAB/SPH. Each one necessarily puts the focus on the same hardest part: building the support machinery to accomplish the ground operations. 

The three very similar threads (that I know about) are:

And the recently started by @Kerbolitto:

The particulars of each are different, but each one requires a very similar set of problems to solve to complete. 

For the two (edit) three most recent, the poster didn't know there was an interesting history of this challenge being done in the past. It seems like a shame that this fun idea (if in slightly different incarnations), isn't recorded as a Heritage Challenge series. Since the threads have different titles and slightly different approaches to reaching the same basic challenge, I'm not sure what you'd name it, but this idea deserves to be recorded here somehow.

Edit: Also, here's a fourth challenge that had basically the same "refuel and reload your lifter outside the VAB/SPH" as "Harder Mode":

Edited by gchristopher

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello to anyone who reads this thread! Just a quick notice, I no longer feel able to maintain this thread properly, so if any active user wants to step in to take it over, send me a PM and we can discuss it. I really haven't been very active on here for a bit and am not on very much, so I feel that this thread would be better treated in someone else's care. 

--Kerbalstar

• 11 months later...

@Kerbalstar, I've exchanged PMs with @rkarmark, and we have agreed that I'll continue as new host of the Elcano Challenge.  This is the 4th iteration of the Elcano Challenge (it's already listed as a Heritage Challenge.  I have included links to the first 3 versions of the Elcano Challenge, including the first one created by Fengist.

My goal is to get the leaderboard updated, a project which may take some time.  

• 1 month later...

Been looking through this thread to see the state of the heritage challenges.  I had offered to reboot this thread but the mods aren't too keen on pinning a new thread as this hasn't been active for awhile.  So how does the challenge community feel about this thread?  Do you feel it is useful if I rebooted it again, and would it still be useful if it isn't pinned like this one used to be?

At the moment this thread is very out of date and I worked out that only 3 of the challenges are still recently active as listed on the OP:-

Jool 5

Kerpollo

K Prize

and 4 have been rebooted and still active since the OP was last updated, namely

Shuttle Challenge

Elcano

Caveman

Ultimate Challenge

The others mostly haven't seen much activity this year and quite a few may be either up for reboot or total retirement, some are maybe still maintained but have little current interest.

If this this thread is rebooted would you like like to see changes in how it is run and how to the challenges on the list are decided?  Would you like to see any challenges added/removed from the list?

Edited by Kerolyov

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.