Heritage Challenges(New thread) [2 available for reboot]

HERITAGE CHALLENGES - THE ONE STOP SHOP
Z5hSyCv.pngFQSNsUJ.png65JDmMo.pnggDmEbjw.jpgYgXYW8T.jpg?1UkFbV35.png?20TsTWbl.jpgksp_tornado.pngjC9OmmT.pngz30Rshm.jpg   hinq9EV.jpgrxipL1f.png19Bh9zll.jpgxzszxkf.pngcircumnavigator+resized.png

Welcome to the Heritage Challenges.  Here reside the Challenges so awesome, so timeless, so Kerbal that you will always find them even when they are residing in the boondocks of the forum.  If your challenge is featured in this thread I would encourage you to add the tag "Heritage" to your OP

Note:  @Speeding Mullet has given me permission to maintain this thread, due to his lack of time. Most of this post is his. Also, if @Snark or @Vanamonde or another mod could sticky this for me, that would be great.

THE AIM OF THIS PAGE IS TO IDENTIFY:

Currently open Heritage Challenges that may have slipped down the pages

Currently closed Heritage Challenges available for re-boot

WHAT IS A HERITAGE CHALLENGE / HOW DOES MY CHALLENGE BECOME HERITAGE LISTED:

A Challenge is considered to be heritage when it is:

In it's second (or more) iteration and still going strong
Identified as a thread of the month.
Accepted by the community in its first iteration as an amazing challenge by pure quality and volume of entries.
By peer review of 4 or more Heritage challenge owners

HOW DO I TAKE OVER A LOST CHALLENGE:

If the challenge listed in this thread is identified as closed then it is free to re-boot
If the challenge is not listed in this thread then feel free to ask, and the community (or the OP of the challenge where possible) will guide as to whether it's fair game.

OPEN HERITAGE CHALLENGES

The Eve Rocks Challenge.  Everyone knows it as one of the hardest things you can possibly accomplish in KSP.   The surface of Eve is littered with the debris of launchers that were almost good enough.  Time to return to the ol' stomping ground with your mahoosive landers? Now maintained by @Johnster_Space_Program

Kerpollo! Currently in its first iteration, by @5thHorseman, this challenge challenges you to start a science career and land on every body in only 9 launches! That's right, only 9 times may a vehicle leave the Runway or Launchpad! If you want more challenge than a Jool-5 but less than an Ultimate Challenge, this is for you! You'll be doing a Jool-5. an Eve-2, a Duna-2, and a Dres-1! Check it out!

The Duna Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge. Currently in its second iteration, by @Death Engineering, this challenge challenges you to land 4 Kerbals on Duna before Year 5 Day 1, and to set up a permanent Dunatian surface presence by Year 10 Day 1, using only one lifter and a number of launches calculated by how much that lifter can lift. This requires MORE Planning as opposed to MOAR Boosters! My ( @Kerbalstar) own entry is underway!

Now in it's 6th iteration the Shuttle Challenge has gone from strength to strength, changing as the versions progressed.  In its current format it's the ultimate selection of missions to test your mettle, presenting both serious engineering and flight challenges provided by @sturmhauke.  Check out the badges too!

The Jool 5 Challenge.  I mean if you don't know this one where have you been??   To execute one giant mission, the bravest and craziest of all time, in which you will land on all the moons of Jool and come back in one shot is one of the longest-running and most well thought out challenges on here.  Prepare to launch a behemoth, or try it with an SSTO.  Go for minimalist records it up to you, but this one is worth doing.  Trust me, I've done it twice!  Currently maintained by @JacobJHC and originally created by @Ziv.

Originally by @Just Jim and now being maintained by  @IncongruousGoat  So you've completed the Jool 5 and now your KSP life feels kinda empty?  Well prepare yourself to visit all 14 bodies in the Kerbol system and return home to tell the tale.  It's easy, really, check it out!

The K-Prize.  This thread would be incomplete on every level if it wasn't featured.  Maintained by @boolybooly and started way back in 2012 (possibly even earlier) your task is clear - Design, build and fly an SSTO to orbit and back.  Simple you say?  Add a few Kudos points, or possibly even gatecrash, but if SSTO's have you tearing your hair out, or if your space program runs off of them this is the place for you to prove it to the world!

I can't personally recommend this challenge, but @Speeding Mullet said this about it: On the face of it driving a rover in a circumnavigation of a celestial body might not sound like your idea of fun, but trust me its way up there as one of the most enjoyable experiences in my time playing KSP.  Pick your planet or Mun, go there, and drive the billy-o out of your rover.  Originally started by @Fengist, maintained by @Claw, and currently in @rkarmark's hands, its timeless quality make it a sure fire hit for the budding or seasoned explorer.

The premise of the challenge is simple. Show your support for our loneliest planet, Dres!  This is a challenge to perform a mega-mission to make Dres feel happy.  Go on, go to Dres and go large!  Mega large even...You know you want to!

Facilities upgrades are forbidden, crappy runway and launchpad mandatory.  Part count of 30 and a weight limit of 18t mean you are going to have to get seriously inventive to get anywhere.  But how much science can you do?  You need 1188 science points and it will test the limits of your ingenuity!  Just rebooted for 1.3.x by @The Dunatian!

Any and all of @Death Engineering's are worth doing.  They are consistently brilliant, well thought out and complex challenges.  This one, in particular, had me modding my copy of KSP to death (literally) in a failed attempt to re-create every little detail possible.  It will take time, but if you have time on your side and are looking for a brilliantly fun way to do Duna (and Eve) then this one is for you! (Forum says this is old, is it still being maintained @Death Engineering?)

Dr. Jason Dworkin aka @IonStorm is the Project Scientist for the Osiris-Rex mission and creator of the challenge in which you have to create, launch, rendezvous, and return a sample from an asteroid.  I've returned a whole potato to Kerbin before, but never a bit of it, so go on, have a crack and engage with an actual Mission Scientist in this fantastic challenge!  Although the challenge is technically over,  you can still post entries for the fun and education of it all!

Why?  Because spinning up Kerbals to a 1000g and pressing decouple is a hilarious, and highly scientific pursuit.  Thread of the month in September 2016, @Cunjo Carl challenges you to fling your plucky Kerbal from orbit of Ike to a variety of places.  Thing is though, we now have auto-struts which injects new and interesting possibilities. (Old, @Cunjo Carl, is this still being mantained?)

It wasn't supposed to end with Apollo 17, and with you in charge it doesn't have to.  Design a Rocket family to take you to the Mun and beyond.  With Super Manley Kerbanaut mode, and creativity encouraged throughout, this one could keep you busy forever! (Once again is this still maintained @GregroxMun ?)

Now in it's 4th plus iteration with many many entrants this is the classic get around the world challenge.  Your plane either has to make it, make it quickly, or compete for endurance and get round as many times as possible.  Are you an elite circumnavigator?  Prove it.

Rebooted by @53miner53 very recently.  Check in and have a go!  A Space Station built by the community, what could possibly go wrong?  I'm sure this station will be functional, efficient in design, and most importantly sensible on every level.  Well it's not.  It's a horror show and its absolutely fantastic!

Created by @keptin, a second iteration made by @Mjp1050, and now maintained by @CrazyJebGuy, this challenge is all about updating Kerbal Express Airlines aging fleet of regional jets and turboprops.  It's a big client, operating hundreds of airports around Kerbin, so get your aircraft hat on and go design the fleet!

Now in version three of the third iteration, twice reduxed (trust me it makes sense).  The Apollo style redux mission v3 by @kspnerd122 , originally @Xeldrak tasks you with getting to the Mun and back in the good 'ol fashioned Apollo way.  With points for the realism of design and accuracy of mission this is the challenge to run if you are into historic missions!

CLOSED HERITAGE CHALLENGES

Last post: December 12th 2017
Last OP site visit: current

I think there must have been a Stock Payload Fraction Challenge for as long as payloads existed.  Clear task:  Build and fly the most mass-efficient lifter possible to low Kerbin orbit.  How efficient are you though?!  Get the rulers out!

•  
Edited by Kerbalstar
Added ShuttleV6 and Apollo Redux V3.

1 hour ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Ok, when I get to my computer I will move it to the closed section. 

Also, to those challenge maintainers I have pinged, if you do not respond within a week, I will move your challenge to the closed section. If you reply after that time, I will be happy to move it back for you.

1 minute ago, sdj64 said:

@kerbalstar The Jool 5 Challenge is currently maintained by @JacobJHC.  You have the right thread linked though.  Thanks for keeping the heritage challenges updated, it's a great list to have.

Whoops, you're right, I'll fix that. Also, does anyone know how you do the pretty linking thing? 

1 minute ago, kerbalstar said:

Whoops, you're right, I'll fix that. Also, does anyone know how you do the pretty linking thing? 

I think it auto-formats if you paste the URL into the editor.  If you click the hyperlink button, it makes a blue underlined text link instead.

2 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I think it auto-formats if you paste the URL into the editor.  If you click the hyperlink button, it makes a blue underlined text link instead.

Gotcha, thanks. Editing it is locked up right now, but I'm editing it in another tab.

15 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

The tornado picture is broken by the way, just says ksp_tornado.png

It was broken on the other one too, if you give me a picture I'll be happy to put it in.

16 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Yup, you're right. Thanks!

16 hours ago, sdj64 said:

@kerbalstar The Jool 5 Challenge is currently maintained by @JacobJHC.  You have the right thread linked though.  Thanks for keeping the heritage challenges updated, it's a great list to have.

Fixed!

20 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Fixed! I hope it's all right that I said available for re-boot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 12:05 AM, Gargamel said:

Excellent idea @kerbalstar, I was just coming over here to link the Elkano thread, and I was thinking, Hey wouldn't it be great if we had a sticky that contained all the great challenges?   And oh wow, here it is! 

Kudos sir. 

Why thank you @Gargamel! This was all really @Speeding Mullet's work though.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:52 PM, kerbalstar said:

Originally by @Just Jim and now being maintained by @HoloYolo.  So you've completed the Jool 5 and now your KSP life feels kinda empty?  Well prepare yourself to visit all 14 bodies in the Kerbol system and return home to tell the tale.  It's easy, really, check it out!

@HoloYolo hasn't been online in seven months. Should the challenge switch hands again? @Just Jim could take it back maybe.

2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

@HoloYolo hasn't been online in seven months. Should the challenge switch hands again? @Just Jim could take it back maybe.

I'm considering doing it. Normally, I wouldn't put up a re-host of the challenge without @HoloYolo's consent, but (as you said) they haven't been around for more than half a year.

The problem is that there are a couple things I disagree with in the way the Ultimate Challenge was hosted back when I did my submission, so it wouldn't be exactly the same. If I were to re-host it, I'd probably add a few basic rules for clarification purposes, and probably ditch the dedicated save. If people think that's fine, then I'll go ahead, but if you all feel that I should try and preserve the original challenge as much as possible I might have to leave it to someone else.

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I'm considering doing it. Normally, I wouldn't put up a re-host of the challenge without @HoloYolo's consent, but (as you said) they haven't been around for more than half a year.

The problem is that there are a couple things I disagree with in the way the Ultimate Challenge was hosted back when I did my submission, so it wouldn't be exactly the same. If I were to re-host it, I'd probably add a few basic rules for clarification purposes, and probably ditch the dedicated save. If people think that's fine, then I'll go ahead, but if you all feel that I should try and preserve the original challenge as much as possible I might have to leave it to someone else.

Are you interested in hosting it? I'm not opposed it it, if @HoloYolo has moved on. And I'm afraid it does appear that way.

I'm not sure what you say you disagreed with, if that was when I had it or Holo, but I was just trying to adhere to a contract I received in a career game that said, in a nutshell, land on every planet and moon (other than Jool, of course) and come back to Kerbin. I have a screenshot of it somewhere... but it might take a bit to find it. If you wish to clarify the rules, that's fine. Honestly, the contract the challenge is based on is a little... well... fuzzy about the details.

Oh, here it is... the original "Ultimate Challenge" contract that started the challenge.

vYpu7sP.jpg

yV3f1C6.jpg

Anyway, I have like 8 things going on at once, and I'm just super busy at the moment, or I'd take it back over... So if @Darth Badie and/or one of the moderators like @Vanamonde say it's OK, I have no objection to you taking it over.  ;)

Edited by Just Jim

8 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

We don't generally get involved in this sort of thing. We'll close or open threads as needed, but that's about it. 

Understood, I just I don't want to violate the rules or anything. 

See, I was the original challenge OP, but when I got too wrapped-up and involved writing Emiko, I asked if anyone wanted to take it over, and @HoloYolo volunteered. And I believe it was @sal_vager that gave the OK... but don't quote me, it was a couple years ago.

But now it appears @HoloYolo has moved on, and I'm still super-busy, so it's sort of the same situation as someone taking over and maintaining another members mod, I suppose. Again, I'm fine with @IncongruousGoat taking it over, or starting a new one and picking up where the other left off...  I just want to make sure it's not going to be a problem, or violate any rules, is all.

Edited by Just Jim

18 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

It's fine. :D

All I needed to know, thanks.

@IncongruousGoat If you're serious, and no-one can get a hold of @HoloYolo, then I suppose it's all yours, at least as long as you want to do it. All I ask is if you start a new thread, please include links to the old ones in the OP, so we can keep everything together, OK? Thanks.

Oh, and you're free to copy and use the contract screenshots I posted a couple replies above this if you like... they're what it's all based on.

57 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

All I needed to know, thanks.

@IncongruousGoat If you're serious, and no-one can get a hold of @HoloYolo, then I suppose it's all yours, at least as long as you want to do it. All I ask is if you start a new thread, please include links to the old ones in the OP, so we can keep everything together, OK? Thanks.

Oh, and you're free to copy and use the contract screenshots I posted a couple replies above this if you like... they're what it's all based on.

I'll make sure to do that.

I don't know if I'll include the screenshots of the contract, though. @HoloYolo didn't actually require submissions to complete the contract, as long as they visited every planet in one mission (the contract is slightly more restrictive), and I think I'm going to stick to that on the grounds that it allows more interesting submissions. As such, I don't know if it makes sense to keep the screenshots of the contract.

Just now, IncongruousGoat said:

I'll make sure to do that.

I don't know if I'll include the screenshots of the contract, though. @HoloYolo didn't actually require submissions to complete the contract, as long as they visited every planet in one mission (the contract is slightly more restrictive), and I think I'm going to stick to that on the grounds that it allows more interesting submissions. As such, I don't know if it makes sense to keep the screenshots of the contract.

Yay. My submission is currently just under a quarter of the way done. When it's done I think you'll like it.

9 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I would include them... it's a real game generated contract, and how the whole thing got started. But it's also a really vague contract, and open to a lot of interpretation. So set the actual rules as you see fit. If you want to adjust them concerning submissions (or lack of)... fine, so long as the players competing for it don't complain, I see no problem with that.

Actually, this would be fairly easy to set up as a Mission, if someone wanted to do it.

Edited by Just Jim

10 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

As such, I don't know if it makes sense to keep the screenshots of the contract

I think it makes at least a nice backstory. 

I'm also considering rebooting the Apollo challenge since I think I did that one once and it was quite a good challenge. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.