Just ... what?

NewtSoup

Just now, NewtSoup said:

I have no idea what my boy is playing on his computer but I just heard from his room :

"Quick, we need a cheese gun, the UFO is lactose intolerant, has anyone got a cheese gun?"

wait a second...

I dont know anything about asdf but when I read what you heard I just thought "Oh, thats just standard internet gibberish."

...which was correct ;)

Pretty sure my fiance wonders what my state of mind is like when she hears things like "Welp, my kerbal is now a miles-wide pyramid." (encountered a glitch which turned a stranded-in-space kerbal into a geometric looking object about the size of minmus)

NB: "gibberish" not necessarily meant as a derogatory term here, just representative of the propensisty of internet users to seek more and more outlandish things, usually humour, and the amount that is available.

Edited by p1t1o

49 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Your boy has entered the wonderous world of the Internet and its spicy memes that older people don't understand.

You kids crack me up. As if younger people were even around when the internet was created, or created the first memes. I'm laughing here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-43783521

Yeah, I'm a LOT older than I look most people guess me around 30 but I'm actually 47.  Wrote my first programs in 1981 on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, learned Fortran in 1989.

My "boy" is actually 17 himself.

1 minute ago, LordFerret said:

You kids crack me up. As if younger people were even around when the internet was created, or created the first memes. I'm laughing here.

Just because you were around when it first started doesn't neccesarily mean you know more about it. Goddard was the first man to make a working liquid fueled rocket, but i doubt he knew much about spaceflight as we do right now. Im not saying he is stupid, but he lived in a period of time before spaceflight became a big and broad thing, Goddard didn't know how the ISS was built, but we do. Same with memes, memes were a funny little thing in the past when they first started, but aren't as widespread and broad as they are now.

Another thing to note is that memes evolve extremely rapidly nowadays and 'the first meme created' is now either seen as a funny coincidence or an unfunny normie meme because they don't really apply to the meme culture of today. The meme in the article you showed is just a funny coincidence, not an actual meme-meme, because they don't really spread like wildfire. Another meme people think is the first meme is the dancing baby meme, but that is a prime example of a meme that has become stale. Think of a meme like the corpse of an animal and the viewers as scavengers, back then, memes lasted a bit longer because there were less viewers, but now, there are litterly billions of people munching down on internet memes.

Also, i am referring to the memes we often see on the internet, not the Richard Dawkins definition of meme.

There's too much internet for one person to know it all.  I see the memes that crop up on my facebook feed and a handful of other places.  It's like "do you like Anime? Have you seen.....?" there's so much of it out there you can have two or more consumers with little to no overlap in consumption.

11 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The meme in the article you showed is just a funny coincidence, not an actual meme-meme, because they don't really spread like wildfire.

Considering the time difference and the media difference between today and yesterday, I'm convinced you don't know what you're talking about. Let's leave it at that.

10 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm convinced you don't know what you're talking about. Let's leave it at that.

I do know what im talking about, I think its just the fact that nobody knows the exact definiton of a meme and it differs between people. Its a little bit like the 'Airplane on a Treadmil' problem.

Edited by NSEP

There are internet memes, and then there are actual memes. 

One could argue that language is a meme... or a family of memes. Something to that effect.

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I do know what im talking about, I think its just the fact that nobody knows the exact definiton of a meme and it differs between people. Its a little bit like the 'Airplane on a Treadmil' problem.

A meme is a concept or idea that passes from person to person. Analogous to a gene, but in terms of thoughts.

As such, almost anything can be a meme.

Edited by Bill Phil

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

A meme is a concept or idea that passes from person to person. Analogous to a gene, but in terms of thoughts.

That is the Richard Dawkins definition of meme, but not everyone agrees with that. The Richard Dawkins definition of meme is too broad and very vague. The other definiton of meme is an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations. But not even this is a definition everyone agrees with.

Again, memes change rapidly, and so does the definition.

37 minutes ago, NSEP said:

That is the Richard Dawkins definition of meme, but not everyone agrees with that. The Richard Dawkins definition of meme is too broad and very vague. The other definiton of meme is an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations. But not even this is a definition everyone agrees with.

Again, memes change rapidly, and so does the definition.

That's just what a meme is. It comes from a word that means "to mimic" or "to imitate." 

It's like how "theory" in common vernacular isn't a scientific theory at all. A "meme" in common vernacular is not a meme in the memetic sense, but also is at the same time...

Since anything can be a meme any definition is technically correct.

Dawkins coined the term. I think his idea and the ideas he agreed with regarding it take precedence.

Ever since the creation of dictionaries the change in the definition of words has begun to slow down as well.

We're talking about language with language. Neat.

We won't accomplish much by diving into semantics, though.

12 minutes ago, razark said:

"Reposting funny pictures on the internet" is a culture now?

Yes, sort of. Every long-lasting trend starts some kind of subculture, and so do memes. It has become more than posting funny pictures on the internet, there is alot more to it than just that.

There is an entire 'meme economy' on reddit, have a read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MemeEconomy/

2 hours ago, razark said:

"Reposting funny pictures on the internet" is a culture now?

Like "reposting" genes was it for billions years before.
Genes are biomemes, memes are abstract genes.
That's how ideas spread.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.