New to KSP, what is the use of mechjeb?

Nitehawk

Welcome to the community Nitehawk :)

MechJeb is just an add-on, and is not, and most likely will not become, a part of the KSP base game.

Some people like to use it, others not, and others like to learn from Mechjeb how to attain orbit and such before attempting it themselves.

By all means, use it or refrain from doing so, whichever is your preference, there is no need to install it if you do not want to, I myself prefer to fly all my craft by hand, without even the benefit of the ASAS :)

Well without mechjeb I would still be in kerbin atmosphere trying to get a good orbit. After playing around with mechjeb I learned how to build space worthy rockets and how to get a good orbit.

And I would not say it takes away half the fun, it more likely adds some instead, It can be harder to use mechjeb than controlling manually if you build a bad rocket... I almost always use mechjeb these days.

By the way, welcome to KSP! ^^

Personally I don't use the autopilots, but the info it gives you is astounding. I can see my orbits inclination, true altitude when landing on the Mun. It's pretty useful to know I am 1000m above the surface, rather than 3000m above sea level. :P Welcome to the forums!