I docked myself good this time...

Yeah, so, I screwed up.

I'm building a new space station and everything was going well until I just now figured I could weld the parts that were on there already. They weren't coming off again anyway.

Turns out, they should come off because I used regular Clamp-o-trons. 

So my question is this: How am I gonna replace all the Clamp-o-trons for Construction Clamp-o-trons? I mean, I enjoy building space stations, but I have my limits here, so I'm willing to cheat on this one. In fact, I'd prefer to cheat because every other option I can think of is just an excessive amount of manual labour that would likely end up in a wonky space station anyway.

Edit: I'm leaving the question open for now, but I found Hyperedit and I'm seeing if that does what I want.

Edited by Bakkerbaard

8 minutes ago, Kryxal said:

put it in the same orbit

I screwed something up installing Hyperedit, the blame of which lies solely with me, and now there's nothing in the skies anymore. I just put my half finished station back in orbit (the game did remember my designs) and will resume work as if nothing happened. Luckily I had just started a new game anyway, so all that's gone are three satelites and the old crappy station that had to go anyway.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would edit the save file, and replace all the normal ports with Konstruction ports.

I fixed it with Hyperedit for now, but I would like to know how I go about that should something like this occur again.

11 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I fixed it with Hyperedit for now, but I would like to know how I go about that should something like this occur again.

Best way would be to just stop using the regular docking ports.  Doesn't help with the inline or shielded ports, though.

I'll look into making some MM patches to give the regular ports the Konstruction ability, as well as giving the inline ports the ability to dock with Konstruction ports (which I've done before, they just can't weld)

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Best way would be to just stop using the regular docking ports.  Doesn't help with the inline or shielded ports, though.

Yeah, but the shielded (which I think are pretty cool, with the opening mouth) and inlines are distinctly different, that the Clamps and ConstructionClamps are more alike was my problem. I don't use the regulars anymore unless it's for a visitors dock. Those don't need to weld anyway. Ofcourse, playing into the early hours doesn't help with the concentration either. ;o)

The regulars have no advantage over the Constructions whatsoever, right?

1 minute ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Nope.

Do you have DockRotate?  It's really handy when building in orbit, lining up the ports after docking with DockRotate, then welding, is much more accurate than the rotation snap Konstruction! does when docking.  Also makes for less violent docking.

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Do you have DockRotate? 

I'm a lazy man. I just tell Mechjeb to go and fix it for me, turn on Force Roll at 0º and watch the oddly hypnotic show. Indeed the roll-snap-dock built into the ports can really screw things up for you.

1 hour ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I'm a lazy man. I just tell Mechjeb to go and fix it for me, turn on Force Roll at 0º and watch the oddly hypnotic show. Indeed the roll-snap-dock built into the ports can really screw things up for you.

It's still not terribly accurate.  I've had Konstruction ports the were set to a certain degree, but DockRotate reported them as a few degrees off even after they'd docked.  DockRotate lets you adjust the rotation angle after you've docked without undocking.

Edited by Geonovast

1 hour ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I wouldn't go that far.  For stations maybe, but you can use docking ports for more then just assembling stations.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

DockRotate lets you adjust the rotation angle after you've docked without undocking

That is a good sales pitch. I'll check it out after all.

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

For stations maybe, but you can use docking ports for more then just assembling stations.

That is true, ofcourse. But it's what I'm in the middle of. :o)

I do stick regular docking ports on visitors docks too. But from where I'm sitting it seems that Construction Docks act like regular docks plus a weld feature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.