How to rep "farm".

Here are three ways to get rep:

1. Post interesting/Funny/Helpful Stuff instead of Boring/Rude/Non-Helpful Comments.

2. Posting status updates often get 2-3 likes.

3. Probably the most effective way to get rep is by posting a great looking craft and saying: You get a copy of it if you like this post!

I hope this was helpful!

Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

How to rep "farm"

Why? I mean really, why?

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

saying: You get a copy of it if you like this post!

Seriously, yuck. Like repulsive e-peen measuring contest yuck.

4 hours ago, dundun93 said:

3. Probably the most effective way to get rep is by posting a great looking craft and saying: You get a copy of it if you like this post!

I'm more likely to like a post that offers that craft on kerbalX, without having me prostrate myself before the poster. 

This is more like how the commercial side of social media works. 

We don't need nor want that here. 

"Rep farming"?

Are we really stooping that low?

The rep button used to be inconspicuous. After an update to the forums (I think it was the migration to this platform) there was a "like" button instead. Rep became much easier to acquire.

Even so, it's pretty meaningless. I guess rep could be construed as "internet points."

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

Why? I mean really, why?

Because this is a gaming forum and rep is a score. And, for a significant section of a given gaming community, that's enough. Doesn't matter how tedious, grindy or pointless a task is - if there's a score attached to it, they'll do it. Especially if that gives them the chance to dismiss or belittle the 'noob scrubs' who aren't playing the game the 'right' way.

Playing the game to have fun is optional, min-maxing and score is everything. Mind you, that same score obsessed part of the community will complain endlessly whilst grinding out their score. Then, if their complaints are listened to and the game made less grindy, they'll complain again because their grind has now been invalidated.

It's nonsense like this why I have very little time for gamers anymore. In my experience, the quickest way to become throughly disenchanted with a game is to spend any length of time on its official forum.

Rep farm... ugh.

Y'know what's harder more challenging ? Farm warning points.

Edited by YNM
This post is proving itself massively.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

The rep button used to be inconspicuous.

It used to be a lot more meaningful too, IMO. VB had the option to give a variable amount of points and leave a message, now it's just some faceborg-esque "like" thing.
No excuse for farming it either way, that's just ridiculous.

58 minutes ago, KSK said:

Because this is a gaming forum and rep is a score. And, for a significant section of a given gaming community, that's enough. Doesn't matter how tedious, grindy or pointless a task is - if there's a score attached to it, they'll do it. Especially if that gives them the chance to dismiss or belittle the 'noob scrubs' who aren't playing the game the 'right' way.

This is a perfect example of why I hate people. Well some of the time, anyway. This competitiveness for competition's sake thing really grinds my gears.

Playing the game to have fun is optional, min-maxing and score is everything.

I can grok min-maxing for personal enjoyment (I do like optimal solutions), ESP. in old-school RPGs, but forum cookies? Sheesh.
Min-maxing and grinding just to lord a pointless number over others though, that's pretty repulsive behaviour right there.

It's nonsense like this why I have very little time for gamers anymore.

Exactically. This is why I have never had any time for gamers, particularly the online FPS adolescent liquiding contest kind.
I thought this community was relatively free from this kind of behaviour, especially as there is no real "score" to rate one's peen with. Kinda the reason this is the only game-forum I regularly post on.
Where there's a will there's a way I guess. :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, YNM said:

Farm warning points.

Huh, recon I'm not doing too badly on that count, though mostly unintentionally. :P
It might be mildly interesting, element of risk and all...

Edited by steve_v

I honestly don't pay much attention to mine, I know it's really, really high, and I just don't care anymore. But I find the idea of "farming" somewhat... distasteful... and a little insulting to those of us that worked at something to get our reps where they are.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

It used to be a lot more meaningful too, IMO. VB had the option to give a variable amount of points and leave a message, now it's just some faceborg-esque "like" thing.
No excuse for farming it either way, that's just ridiculous.

I wouldn't say it was more meaningful. I don't remember the variable points thing, but leaving a message was a redundant feature. It's a forum, you can already post and send messages. 

Definitely faceborg-esque. Although I do remember having trouble finding out which button was the rep button... so I think making it easier to find was a good change. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I wouldn't say it was more meaningful. I don't remember the variable points thing, but leaving a message was a redundant feature. It's a forum, you can already post and send messages.

Maybe it's just me then. 
It was still just silly internet-points, but being presented with those options when I finally found the button certainly made me stop to think about how many points a helpful or interesting post warranted, and why. Now it's kinda too easy to obtain, and far too easy to game, as we see here.

Then again, I'd be just as happy if the whole rep thing went out the airlock. I don't care about my rep count, but every now and then I run into a rep-bait post or a rep-farming circlejerk so obvious it makes me cringe.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

this was one thing about the old rep system I missed. It allowed you to give feedback to the person you're giving rep to.

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Y'know what's harder more challenging ? Farm warning points.

Hehehe... as you can tell by mi signature image, I know the secret to gaining these fairly quickly. In fact, I kinda liked the old forum software - there was one time I received warnings from two separate moderators over the same post. Now that takes talent, my friend... :cool:

Mark me down as in favor of making each time you rep something worth 5, but only giving people five chances to rep things per day. 5*5= 25, which is still the limit on how many individual reputation points you can give out per day.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

As you can tell by my signature image, I know the secret to gaining these fairly quickly.

So am I now !

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

It might be mildly interesting, element of risk and all...

Spoilers : Not as hard as you think...

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Getting a message about why someone appreciates the content you posted, in my experience, is significantly nicer than seeing a number increment by +1.

And that's still possible. It's just not tied to the rep system.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

this was one thing about the old rep system I missed. It allowed you to give feedback to the person you're giving rep to.

You can still do that...

Wanna know how to rep farm?

Post high quality, funny, or helpful posts helping people, telling good stories, or just for the heck of it. Most people should just be doing this already...

Edited by Kernel Kraken

I'd like to have an option to hide your reputation as we used to have in the old forums.

I remember it wasn't possible when people asked back then, but maybe an update has changed things since then. (Pinging @ManeTI because why not)

11 hours ago, steve_v said:

Why? I mean really, why?

I need to get 1000 rep. I'll post a craft and give it to anyone who likes it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.