Pay to fix the launchpad from inside the VAB

My ugly big boosters have a habit of bombing the launchpad. Next time I return to the space center I inevitably enter the VAB just as I notice the blown up state of the launch pad. So I wait twenty seconds or so for the VAB to load then another twenty to exit back to the space center so  I can fix the launchpad and then once again wait to enter the VAB. If I was gonna live forever I probably wouldn't mind but since I'm not, it would be great to be able to fix the launchpad from inside the VAB. I mean, I'm staring through the doorway straight at it.

Alternatively, from a distance, make the blown up launch pad look more like a blown up launch pad.

Edited by mystifeid

There is the option to have indestructible facilities , activate it and your problems will be history.

Alternatively do what I did instinctively in KSP and add parachutes to your suborbital stages . As a highly recommended bonus install the mod called Stage Recovery which allows you to recoup some of the cost of the low level boosters SpaceX style.

11 hours ago, General Apocalypse said:

There is the option to have indestructible facilities , activate it and your problems will be history.

I like being able to blow things up and enjoy the challenge of mitigating damage without mods. I just hate seeing "Launchpad is out of service" when I try to launch something from the VAB.

First thing I do on launch is rotate to the desired heading. 

Second thing is to tilt the rocket about 5° (Aoa at 85°).

This usually saves the facilities from raining metal.

It's what they do in real life.

Edited by Lisias

4 hours ago, mystifeid said:

I like being able to blow things up and enjoy the challenge of mitigating damage without mods. I just hate seeing "Launchpad is out of service" when I try to launch something from the VAB.

It's not a mod , it's a stock option. The vehicle blows up but the pad stays intact.

Seems like a good idea to me. Moving back to the space centre just to repair the launchpad, and then going back to the VAB/selecting the launchpad from there is just adding extra clicks. Much better to just have a "would you like to repair the launchpad for x funds" when you click launch.

While one is in the VAB, time stands still

I would like to see a snap-shot of the view as it currently would be when looking through the doors of the VAB.
The time of day, Objects on or near the pad. Perhaps you entered the VAB just as a pod was making a splashdown and the parachutes would be visible in the sky. Frozen in time until you leave the VAB.

Nehhhhver gonna happen. Still it would be a nice touch.

As far as the broken pad is concerned.. you broke it.. you go out and click on it.

Edited by Daveroski
Update

1 hour ago, Daveroski said:

As far as the broken pad is concerned.. you broke it.. you go out and click on it.

I think this is the camp I fall into.  While I would like to see dynamic scenery from the VAB, and perhaps the ability requested in the OP, as per my usual, I'd rather see the dev workn on higher priority stuff rather than this.   If they get to it, cool, if they don't, cool. 

I played for a very long time without even realizing buildings could be damaged. In fact, the first thing that queued me in that buildings could be damaged was seeing the indestructible buildings option which caused me to immediately go and test crashing rockets into my launch pad and vab. It sounds like this is mostly a problem of rocket design an flight. Get slightly longer first stages and/or pitch over a bit earlier so your first stage is missing the pad. You'll get more efficient launches that way anyways. You don't want to be going straight up for long after launch generally.

Please, no more advice on how not to blow things up.

Just accept that I like to play with things that do blow things up.

My original wish was about what happens after that. And it is that - a wish - because I have absolutely no expectation anything in this regard will ever change.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.