Narrow Band Scanner

Just because I could, I dropped a Narrow Band Satellite in a Polar orbit of Minmus.  I guessed it needed to be polar as the descriptions says it only looks at the area directly underneath so a polar orbit is going to eventually cover most if not all of the surface. 

YGKgqN0.png

It's considerably more than what's actually needed, I know, but I was trying to make it look less boring than going for minimalist and functional.

My question is - now that I have it in place, what can I actually do with it?

3 minutes ago, CrashyMcCrashFace said:

You have the wrong scanner for that. The M700 Survey Scanner works like you described. You just need to be in a polar orbit and it works immediately. You don't need to wait. The narrow band scanner just scans what's below you.

I have both, the narrow band won't actually work until a survey has been done with an M700 - I tried it in Kerbin Orbit - Said no Kerbnet Access and that a survey was needed.  I just want to know what to do with the Narrow Band.  I'm thinking it may be useful to spot anomalies on the surface of moons / planets.  You can drop waypoints to precise locations with it.

M700 scanner provides a scan of the whole body.

Narrow Band provides a slightly more accurate scan for each biome.

Surface Scanner Module provides a very acurate scan for each biome. (To be more precise: You get the ore concentration for every inch on the surface but you have to perform the scan in every biome)

You can actually skip the narrow band scanning but it is still a nice-to-have, because you get KerbNet acess which will allow you to look for very good ore concentrations.

edit: There was a similar thread some time ago, you may want to read through:

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

My question is - now that I have it in place, what can I actually do with it?

Well dang. I think you're going to be disappointed. :(

The NBS scans for ore concentrations for mining purposes. It presents the results in a very confusing topographic/isobar display. And that's it. It can't locate anomalies (0% detection rate). To even use it for serious ore detection, you need to use a surface scanner in each biome first. And the results are realtime only. You have to drop a waypoint at the high ore concentrations, because none of the display is saved (unless you screenshot it or something).

Edited by bewing

11 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

I have both, the narrow band won't actually work until a survey has been done with an M700 - I tried it in Kerbin Orbit - Said no Kerbnet Access and that a survey was needed.  I just want to know what to do with the Narrow Band.  I'm thinking it may be useful to spot anomalies on the surface of moons / planets.  You can drop waypoints to precise locations with it.

Ah. Yeah the narrow band is more accurate and can identify higher concentrations in specific areas. i.e. If you care about hitting 15% instead of 9% then it's useful.

Just now, bewing said:

Well dang. I think you're going to be disappointed. :(

The NBS scans for ore concentrations for mining purposes. It presents the results in a very confusing topographic/isobar display. And that's it. It can't locate anomalies (0% detection rate). To even use it for serious ore detection, you need to use a surface scanner in each biome first.

Haha, that's ok :) well Minums provides all your refuelling needs pretty much forever even on the scans from an M700.  Been hunting on the net for how to find anomalies.  And it's keep on checking Kerbnet with the highest level probe core you can use, so that would be the Mk2 Drone Core with anomaly detection at 48%

Time to build another satellite! :D  AND a lander / rover with a rover core in it.  Maybe actually a whole Exploration Vessel!  I'll start with Minmus and work at putting a Flag down at every anomaly in the game.

I wish there was a use for scientists and science points once you've completed the tech tree

17 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

so that would be the Mk2 Drone Core with anomaly detection at 48%

Well, technically what you want is both a high anomaly detection rate and a good range. And you can accomplish that by using 2 probecores on your ship. So I recommend the Rovemate for a 100% detection rate, plus an additional HECS2 or something similar, that has decent range. I think you can find the ranges in the wiki.

>  I wish there was a use for scientists and science points once you've completed the tech tree

I kinda do too. About the only thing you can do is convert the science points into money or reputation with an admin strategy. But by the endgame, you don't usually need those, either.

I had no idea you could combine a Hecs2 and a Rovemate on the same rover to increase range.  I just had the idea that a scientist onboard could increase detection rate of an orbital vessel from a lab of course.  So you could add scientists with diminishing returns.  And then for the rovemate an engineer present could increase the range as that's an engineering issue not a scientific analysis issue.

I was just going to spot anomalies from orbit and mark a waypoint and then drop a rovemate in the vicinity.    Of course I'll still do that as more range is more range.

Oh why do you specify a Hecs2 and not a mk 2 probe core?  I do see that "scans enhanced while above the ground  on the mk 2.  Does the H2 give a better can when on the floor?

Edited by NewtSoup

I have to say I'm either not impressed at all with the anomaly detection system or I just plain can't work out how to use it.

Built a rover.  Put a Hecs 2 on it.  Put a Rovemate on it.  Orientation of the Rovemate makes no difference to the scan.  The field of view seems to point stright down so a 160 degree field of view gives you short range  360 degrees around the rover, 180 gives you a longer range.  Not sure it's 10km like people say.  seems more like 2 or 3.

Started at the runway.  I know there's an anomaly at the KSC - the statue of the old pod. The Hecs 2 shows nothing regardless of orientation or field of view so it's no use at all on a rover to boost range it seems.    The Rovemate does show an anomaly but it's at an empty space half way along the crawler way.  I've no idea if it's detecting the statue or not.

b1b4keu.png

The only thing I can think of it that you'd use the hex to get close on descent to the anomaly.  Then use the rovemate at max FOV.   I was kind of expecting the Rovemate to have a FORWARD FOV with a 10km range that you could narrow down as you got closer to whatever was detected.  would kind of be more useful that way I think.

Just now, NewtSoup said:

I have to say I'm either not impressed at all with the anomaly detection system or I just plain can't work out how to use it.

Built a rover.  Put a Hecs 2 on it.  Put a Rovemate on it.  Orientation of the Rovemate makes no difference to the scan.  The field of view seems to point stright down so a 160 degree field of view gives you short range  360 degrees around the rover, 180 gives you a longer range.  Not sure it's 10km like people say.  seems more like 2 or 3.

Started at the runway.  I know there's an anomaly at the KSC - the statue of the old pod. The Hecs 2 shows nothing regardless of orientation or field of view so it's no use at all on a rover to boost range it seems.    The Rovemate does show an anomaly but it's at an empty space half way along the crawler way.  I've no idea if it's detecting the statue or not.

b1b4keu.png

The only thing I can think of it that you'd use the hex to get close on descent to the anomaly.  Then use the rovemate at max FOV.   I was kind of expecting the Rovemate to have a FORWARD FOV with a 10km range that you could narrow down as you got closer to whatever was detected.  would kind of be more useful that way I think.

Normally you look for anomalies from orbit, and when you detect one you place a waypoint there, which you can navigate to via rover.

4 hours ago, bewing said:

Well, technically what you want is both a high anomaly detection rate and a good range. And you can accomplish that by using 2 probecores on your ship. So I recommend the Rovemate for a 100% detection rate, plus an additional HECS2 or something similar, that has decent range. I think you can find the ranges in the wiki.

Maybe I've misunderstood what Bewing has said - If you put the rovemate on a SHIP you get 100% detection rate, as in orbital.  The HECS2 and every other probe core has a detetection rate not tied to range.

But I know that Detection is on a Per Core basis.  I'm going to hack a probe with a Rovemate and a Mk2 Probe Core on it into Minmus orbit and see how it works. 

After a bath and an episode of agents of shield though.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod a science lab so that each scientist aboard ups the detection change by 1% per Star Per Scientist ( with a 6 crew mod too ) so you could get a maximum of +30% detection from a Science Lab fully crewed with 5 Star Scientists. 

Edited by NewtSoup

11 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

Maybe I've misunderstood what Bewing has said - If you put the rovemate on a SHIP you get 100% detection rate, as in orbital.  The HECS2 and every other probe core has a detetection rate not tied to range.

I believe you did.

The rovemate has 100% detection but terrible range. The HECS2 has great range and so-so detection. Put them on the same ship in orbit, you have 100% detection and great range.

I didn't know of this trick either and am excited to try it. For once, Kerbnet will be useful.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Yep that worked.

r8LySUY.png

Pretty sure I can land this too.. it has 2600 dV left. Though it's likely just an obelisk.

Unless I overdo the time warp and pile into the surface.. DOH!

Now to build a tall ship and find a star to sail her by.

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

Yep that worked.

What were you scanning with? The HECS2? Because it has to get lucky sometimes.

I tried it. Didn't seem to work in 80km Kerbin orbit but the HECS2 found the one on Minimus.

Took it to the mun where I have all but one already visited and waypoints marked with the narrowest FOV onsite.

The sat was in a 20km polar orbit. Of the first four I flew over or near, the HECS2 saw only one. The rovemate saw none.

When my orbit narrowly missed overflying the fourth one, I reversed orbit and burned anti-normal until I could see I would be directly over the top at 20km. It's an arch and I have a rover parked directly underneath (the purple waypoint). The HECS2 sees nothing so I reload and try with the rovemate and for one 3.5 second refresh, there it is - I was lucky to get the screenshot because it literally blinked on and off.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. If so, I'd love to know what.

Scan with HECS2 - in order to be able to show the image of the satellite, I'm not looking straight down.

oCnxZbc.png

Lucky snap with rovemate

YZQ0595.png

Edited by mystifeid

Hmmm. Maybe combining probecores for anomaly detection doesn't work anymore. You used to be able to combine them like that.

2 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

The anomaly at KSC is the monolith, not the Pod Memorial. And the locations of the ? indicators are deliberately approximate. They can be off by as much as 2km. They are only supposed to get you close.

But yes, the FOV and range are from about 3 meters above your current altitude. So even with a fairly large FOV -- if you are at ground level, you won't see more than a few meters on Kerbnet. You have to be a bit above the surface to be able to see the horizon. And yes, the RoveMate (by itself) has a maximum detection range of 10km. So on an airless body, if that's the only probecore you've got, you want to be less than 10km above the surface while you are orbiting or in flight.

I scanned with the Rovemate first as that has the 100% and then switched to the HECS2.  No idea if that's what did it.  Either way I guess it's as good as it's ever going to get.

I just made this - it's a Mostlyversal lander.  Has 3804 m/s dV and can almost get into Kerbin Orbit.  What's more it has a small ore processor, 2 small ore tanks, 2 medium TVCS and 2 small drills ( I know they're wasteful but weight was an issie ).  In theory this should be able to make a powered landing on Laythe and take off again.  Four Aerospikes gives it the TWR For everything except EVE ( and it' doesn't have the dV for that anyway )

jDw7Bya.png

The idea is that it will be attached to an interplanetary craft.

I'm thinking the best way to land on Laythe is in fact a space plane

Time for a redesign.  Even if it's full rocket powered and doesn't use Jets I think a space plan will work better.

:D A Mostlyversal lander. You crack me up.

I dunno, I think that design has a lot of potential. You are trying to land it on its tail in atmosphere without a chute? Yeah, that takes some pretty serious dV for those last few hundred meters.

But I think a few aerodynamic tweaks would make this design work pretty well until the actual landing part.

Spaceplanes are a lot of fun though. ;)

Edited by bewing

10 minutes ago, bewing said:

:D A Mostlyversal lander. You crack me up.

I dunno, I think that design has a lot of potential. You are trying to land it on its tail in atmosphere without a chute? Yeah, that takes some pretty serious dV for those last few hundred meters.

But I think a few aerodynamic tweaks would make this design work pretty well until the actual landing part.

Spaceplanes are a lot of fun though. ;)

it's the aerodynamics that are getting me .  It tumbles uncontrollably through laythe's atmosphere.  Then when I get it back I can aim for land.. but as soon as I'm going backwards again I lose control.. I tried fitting AIRBRAKES  ( x 4 at the top of the nose cones ) but they make it spin along it's axis like a top.

I'd love to get it working though because to my eye it looks like something out of a 70's sci-fi novel

38 minutes ago, NewtSoup said:

I'd love to get it working though because to my eye it looks like something out of a 70's sci-fi novel

If you'd like to post the craft file, I'd be interested in tinkering with it.

I certainly will.  You have to do funny stuff with the camera to get to the probe cores.  Its a bit of a hassle but I felt hiding them under the fairing was important and besides it looks nice.  Also it only has a pair of 16-s on it because it's meant to connect to an orbital ship for kerbnet access.

This should work:

Mostly-Lander.craft

One tip - absolutely do NOT use prograde hold to do an automated gravity turn.  She likes to feel your hands on her controls other wise she will throw a tantrum.

13 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

it's the aerodynamics that are getting me .  It tumbles uncontrollably through laythe's atmosphere.  Then when I get it back I can aim for land.. but as soon as I'm going backwards again I lose control.. I tried fitting AIRBRAKES  ( x 4 at the top of the nose cones ) but they make it spin along it's axis like a top.

So just by cursory inspection I'm guessing your tumbling when holding retrograde is because there are so many draggy bits trying to point into the incident airflow.  Remember, like an arrow, you want you want heavy parts up front and draggy parts in the back.  You're right though, it does look cool, it's just not well suited to atmospheric entry if you're trying to hold retrograde.

Oh precisely.  I knew it would hate a retrograde landing in an atmosphere but I thought I’d try it anyway.   At least it doesn’t explode :)    I’m at work at the moment but I’ll be back later. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.