Stock SSTO mission to an Exoplanet

JacobJHC

I always thought that with the use of ions and gravity assist that an exoplanet mission wasn't too far out of the question. So I gave it a try and...

Big thanks to @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures for making the Extrasolar system pack which is used to add the exoplanet into the game. You did a very good job with everything, from the design to the visual enhancements.

3 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

Those gravity assists, you used several of them... How do you plan those??

I either got lucky that the trajectory was going to line up or I timewarped until I got an encounter. When it comes to gravity assists patience is the key. Also Kerbal Alarm Clock tells me when certain launch windows are so that helps also.

9 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

About 1690 years.

Good gravy... That's a long time, very few things IRL would last that long, although that's only about 480 Earth years. Realistically, three things would have happened.

1. The ship would stop working

2. Kerbin would invent warp drives and rescue the crew of the mission before they got there (or home)

3. They would land back on Kerbin and find a futuristic civilization

4. They would land back on Kerbin and find a post-apocalyptic wasteland and nobody on the planet would remember the mission

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Kerbin would invent warp drives and rescue the crew of the mission before they got there (or home)

The crew of the mission would be very disappointed though...all their sacrifices and efforts in vain because some SmartS scientist invented the Warp Drive..... :(

No matter what the outcome is, it will most probably lead to despair...

1 hour ago, Nivee~ said:

The crew of the mission would be very disappointed though...all their sacrifices and efforts in vain because some SmartS scientist invented the Warp Drive..... :(

"Back in my day we used something called ion propulsion. "

"Settle down Mr. Harsby we hear you."

3 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/slowerlight.php#jumpingthegun

vanceAstro2.jpg

9 hours ago, DAL59 said:

vanceAstro2.jpg

Woah.... now I am very curious about this comic!!

(If I were Major Astro, I would kick all of them in their faces, except the little baby.... "Oh,Harkovian physics, I see? Come to think of it, why the heck did you not rescue me 800 years ago? HUH??? :mad::mad:)

(edit: @DAL59 Your member title is the most helpful member title that I have come across! :D)

Edited by Nivee~

35 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Do a Valentine Grand Tour

It's absolutely doable, it would just be tedious. But, I haven't done rockets in a while so  I may give this a try...

M   O    A   R          B   O   O  S  T  E  R  S         W   I    L   L          B  E               N   E    E   D   E   D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.