Highest Splashdown Speed Challenge

I was testing a new airplane today when I accidentally encountered the ocean east of the KSC at high speed.  As would be expected, the airplane proceeded to redistribute itself across about 500 meters of the ocean's surface, and some bits, seemingly unsatisfied with being up at the top, wandered off to the bottom.  Surprisingly, Jebediah was still contentedly ensconced in his Mk 1 cockpit, entirely cool with the whole thing.  My challenge is this:  build a craft of some sort that can motivate itself at high speed above the ocean and crash land safely on the surface at speed.  The craft must have a command pod of any type on it and it may not have parachutes.  The craft is not required to remain intact, however the command pod must survive.  The winner is the craft that splashes down at the highest speed without sending it's unfortunate pilot to Davey Kerman's kubby.  Screenshots of the craft in takeoff configuration, after crashing landing, and of the Flight Results screen are required.  The Honor System will be employed regarding actual impact speed, since it can be pretty hard to get that perfect screenshot of a high speed rendezvous with the briny deep. 

Note:  I may update the rules to factor in things like elapsed time since takeoff, highest G forces and perhaps even highest altitude, since that could conceivably be abused to pad the Flight Results numbers.  We shall see how things go before I go about thinking about all that though.

My submission.

iMMmSz8.png0bwnnyn.pngh6E5l50.png

Have fun all, and enjoy the challenge.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.