The biggest challenge to ever exist!

(Admin pls, move to challenges xD)

So first, this is just a for fun thing, I’m a noob that cannot even reach eloo, so here comes the biggest challenge in KSP history.

Mods allowed:

Mods needed:

Well the challenge is to reach proxima centauri, the nearest planet that can be habitable by humans, it is 4 light years further earth!

This was done before in this threat:

But the real challenge comes now:

-You must reach proxima centauri, orbit it and after that land on it ( proof with pics).

-You must land on every single planet of the kerbol system before doing this but on jool.

-The travel cannot take more than 1000 years.

So here is the challenge, can you acomplish this? 

Edited by Luc1fer

-You must land on every single planet of the kerbol system before doing this but on jool.

It's basically not possible even with a WhackJob sized craft launched straight from Eve.  Not really a challenge so much as not actually possible.

19 minutes ago, bigcalm said:

It's basically not possible even with a WhackJob sized craft launched straight from Eve.  Not really a challenge so much as not actually possible.

It has been done 

37 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The video is from 2013....KSP changed a lot in the last 5 years (aerodynamic & reentry heating, new / rebalanced parts...). I doubt it is possible with a newer version.

It is depending on the mission constraints. If a part of the vehicle may detach and land on the more challenging bodies (Tylo, Laythe, Slate, Eve), then it's totally possible.

I am currently doing a "GTO" mission (Grand Tour + Outer Planets Mod). Launched one giant ship into orbit, launched the Eve return vehicle and docked it, started at Eve and went along from there. Of course the entire Eve return vehicle is scrap afterwards, so I'm left with the mothership and the lander designed to tackle the tougher nuts.

The new parts also include the entire ISRU/mining stuff, so that helps of course.

I already did an OPM tour with one ship + lander, the "Ozymandias" mission, you can watch it here if you so desire.

48 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The video is from 2013....KSP changed a lot in the last 5 years (aerodynamic & reentry heating, new / rebalanced parts...). I doubt it is possible with a newer version.

i did it in 1.2.2 

Edited by invision

14 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

The new parts also include the entire ISRU/mining stuff, so that helps of course.

I already did an OPM tour with one ship + lander, the "Ozymandias" mission, you can watch it here if you so desire.

Well, yes...ISRU will make things easier, but I just can't imagine that it is possible.

I already know your YT channel and subscribed some time ago but haven't seen this series yet...I'm going to watch it and maybe it will change my mind ;)

24 minutes ago, invision said:

i did it in 1.2.2 

Thats impressive! :)Is there some documentation about your mission like a mission report, video, imgur album? I'm really curious to see a ship wich is capable to do this mission.

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, yes...ISRU will make things easier, but I just can't imagine that it is possible.

I already know your YT channel and subscribed some time ago but haven't seen this series yet...I'm going to watch it and maybe it will change my mind ;)

Thats impressive! :)Is there some documentation about your mission like a mission report, video, imgur album? I'm really curious to see a ship wich is capable to do this mission.

if i did it would have been on the other pc which had a bad windows update and 1803 patch killed it and i was forced to reinstall the OS which deleted everything. i ranted about it in one of the threads in the lounge. it wasnt so bad since i never keep anything of importance on my computers, they are just gaming machines with internet access to me.

but about the ship build, most people over build and i like my rockets and ships as small as possible. the only hard part of landing on all bodies is 2 particular places....EVE and Tylo.....i think its Tylo......its whatever moon Jool has with same gravity pull as kerblin. so all you need  is to land on EVE first and use solid rocket boosters to lift off  from it and the same for Tylo except the boosters can be much smaller just to boost you up.

the rest are easy and only require 2 nuclear engines to lift off and land on every other body, and a drill kit to farm fuel.

you could just land on EVE last if you dont have to return to kerblin which makes the challenge even easier but you wont be able to leave  as you  wont have the solid boosters.

Thats unfortunate :( I got lucky and 1803 just messed up my sound but still really annoying.

In my opinion, landing and returning from Eve is way harder then from Tylo. Once you know how to build a Tylo lander, there is nearly nothing you can mess up. Point your lander retrograde and burn until you land (maybe play around with the thrust on the way down). To return, just get a little boost to lift off and then burn horizontal until you reach orbit.

On the other hand, Eve landing is way easier if you bring enough heatshields and chutes. But getting back? I'm struggeling like everytime. Especially, if you land at sea level, you need a really good ascent profile which can be messed up easily and you may end on a suborbital trajectory without any fuel left...at least, this happens to me way more often than I mess up a Tylo landing. Maybe, I haven't found 'the trick' for Eve ^^

On 6/7/2018 at 8:09 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

It is possible :D

But I don't know if this would make it to proxima in time

Edited by Kergarin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.