Aircraft explodes approaching Easter Egg--Bug or intentional?

I saw this on the large map indicated in green. I thought at first it was another tracking station, until I got down low. I saved my game (since my landings are not always the best) and as I approached, I blew up in midair. The game claims I crashed into the ground. I tried 3 times on the same route...no luck. The 4th time I tried landing a bit outside the low level depression the egg was in. I landed fine, but as I tried to taxi to the easter egg I just blew up. Its like I hit a forcefield.

There is a video and screenshot below. I hid it so as not to spoil this for others.

Spoiler

jxpXoMR.png

w4G9kUf.png

Edited by Klapaucius

It looks like a bug.  I made a cursory search of the bug tracker, and the closest thing I found to your experience is that things explode if they are loaded while sitting on a radar dish at one of the CommNet field stations--but in those cases, that's only on load and only after the kerbal or vessel is already in contact.

What you were seeing was the secondary KSC, and the crash report said that you collided with the surface, i.e. the ground.  Since we've been able to visit it in the past, I think that this is definitely worthy of a report if you are running a stock installation.

I'm not sure if it helps in this case, but would you change the terrain details in the settings and trying to approach again? The last time I was trying to visit the Monolith in the old launchsite, it was beneath the surface (along with many other anomalies).

If not, maybe posting the coordination and the game version so other can try to see what happens.

The terrain around Baikerbanur is covered with extremely steep scarps. Driving around at 41m/s is likely to get you killed. I'll fly over to it today and see if there is anything strange there, but I'm not convinced by just one pic.

Edited by bewing

36 minutes ago, bewing said:

The terrain around Baikerbanur is covered with extremely steep scarps. Driving around at 41m/s is likely to get you killed. I'll fly over to it today and see if there is anything strange there, but I'm not convinced by just one pic.

The video is more compelling.  The aeroplane was clearly quite high in the air; where KSC2 is somewhere around ~500m surface elevation, the plane crashed at ~1710m.

I can't reproduce the problem in stock. I can overfly KSC2 at any altitude. I can land and drive up to any structure. The monolith is aboveground on High terrain detail. And I took pics if anyone wants proof.

SOLVED!

Modular Flight Integrator is the guilty party!  I don't even remember why I installed it; I think I needed it for something else that wound up not working in  1.4.3 and the other stuff got left.

6 hours ago, bewing said:

This was a good clue. I did not even realize I was at Baikerbanur.  The dish and launch pad were missing and the building was weird. I went back and compared old screenshots and realized I was in the same place.

lRYdhWr.png

vs:

mHcXuGR.png

I was also clued in that something bigger was going on by some very weird parachute behavior.  See video:

I was actually able to get to the building. Once I parachuted in, though it got stuck in midair and then had a weird error. I also taxied in, this time going very slowly. I did not explode, but I had a fireball erupt around me.  If anyone is interested, a compilation of explosions and weirdness:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.