SpaceX about to reach needed support to become official Lego set

For the first time a SpaceX project on Lego Ideas is about to finally hit 10,000 supporters. At which time it will go in front of a Lego review board to be green-lighted. Elon Musk will also have to give it his blessing. It only has a few hundred supporters to go. Check out the updates tab to see the upgrades (including the FH Block 5). The creator is a STEM teacher who built the set to inspire his students. Let's support him and get him the rest of the way!

Lego can and will tweak the concept designs when developing the production design. The Saturn V set ended up being quite a bit different (internally if nothing else) to the originally pitched model.

12 minutes ago, KSK said:

Lego can and will tweak the concept designs when developing the production design. The Saturn V set ended up being quite a bit different (internally if nothing else) to the originally pitched model.

Agreed. I was just saying that whatever pictures and information is submitted at the start can’t be physically edited on the site. Only updates can be added on the updates tab. But yes Lego always makes the builds much better.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Yes, it really shares practically nothing in common with the submitted design. But it is awesome !

Impressed that the original is as detailed as it is.  Considering that was probably made with almost all stock parts.

Lego will most likely redesign the whole thing from scratch to make it a doable project, but without changing the model much.  While I was working on my engineering degree, a frat brother graduated as an ME, and immediately got hired by Lego.   His job (back in the late 90's) was to take the artists' concept designs, and then make the working model from them.  His office was filled with bins of parts, and he had a CAD program that would allow him to make new parts from scratch, along with assemble whole models with those parts.   They had a machine that would be able to make custom parts on demand.  I assume it was a 3d printer, but he just called it 'a machine', as that term really wasn't in use yet.   They were encouraged to bring their kids to work every now and then to 'play test' the new models. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:58 AM, Gargamel said:

Impressed that the original is as detailed as it is.  Considering that was probably made with almost all stock parts.

Lego will most likely redesign the whole thing from scratch to make it a doable project, but without changing the model much.  While I was working on my engineering degree, a frat brother graduated as an ME, and immediately got hired by Lego.   His job (back in the late 90's) was to take the artists' concept designs, and then make the working model from them.  His office was filled with bins of parts, and he had a CAD program that would allow him to make new parts from scratch, along with assemble whole models with those parts.   They had a machine that would be able to make custom parts on demand.  I assume it was a 3d printer, but he just called it 'a machine', as that term really wasn't in use yet.   They were encouraged to bring their kids to work every now and then to 'play test' the new models. 

That's awesome! 75 more supporters until 10,000!

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Honestly I cant say I like it. Compared to the Saturn V model, its a bit shonky.

It looks a little better in his update images:

5472468-FotoJet_4-l0Uz3Srd6ILRNA-thumbna

My big problem is that it's not to scale with the Saturn V, but if it was, it would be the diameter of the LEGO Saturn V CM.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

My big problem is that it's not to scale with the Saturn V, but if it was, it would be the diameter of the LEGO Saturn V CM.

"Approximately 26 inches tall and roughly estimated to be around 1700 pieces. Designed to match the scale and asthetic quality of the Saturn V." 

The guy who made it shot a comparison pic (it drives me a little crazy to see it out of scale):

1 minute ago, Steel said:

"Approximately 26 inches tall and roughly estimated to be around 1700 pieces. Designed to match the scale and asthetic quality of the Saturn V." 

The Apollo CSM is 3.9m in diameter. Falcon 9 is 3.7m in diameter. The airframe of the F9s should be smaller than the LEGO Saturn V CSM (or at least the same, since LEGO constraints).

It's grossly out of scale.

Total height should put it close to the bottom of the fairing on the current version (at the much thinner diameter).

4 minutes ago, tater said:

The guy who made it shot a comparison pic (it drives me a little crazy to see it out of scale):

The Apollo CSM is 3.9m in diameter. Falcon 9 is 3.7m in diameter. The airframe of the F9s should be smaller than the LEGO Saturn V CSM (or at least the same, since LEGO constraints).

It's only .2 metres. Close enough.

I'm not really a perfectionist in real life. Only in KSP :P

If you look at the updates you’ll see that the dimensions you listed are outdated. It’s now 32 inches tall and 2018 pieces. What made the Saturn such a great kit was the build itself. It was very  intricate. If you did a falcon rocket at the same scale all you can do is stack pieces on top of each other = boring AF.

1 hour ago, toomanycrashes said:

If you look at the updates you’ll see that the dimensions you listed are outdated. It’s now 32 inches tall and 2018 pieces. What made the Saturn such a great kit was the build itself. It was very  intricate. If you did a falcon rocket at the same scale all you can do is stack pieces on top of each other = boring AF.

I don't actually disagree with you, I just hate to see 2 models near each other at dissimilar scales unless they are grossly different. If that makes any sense.

I'd personally rather have a few small, high quality models to scale, I suppose, for the shelf behind my computer (though I'd need to move books for that).

The comparison pic makes me want to make a KSP replica FH to the LEGO scale (vs Apollo), then see what kind of payloads it can fly, lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.