I'm kind of proud of myself.

So I accepted a contract to explore Ike. I built my rocket and loaded it with science experiments. I never revert unless the game glitches out. Anyway, I launch my rocket and when I deployed the fairings once I get into space I noticed the camera would shake like crazy, I go to map mode and I can see my AP and PE but no orbital track and if I rotate my camera the AP and PE were waaaaaay south of Kerbin. I couldn't time warp because it thought my craft was landed. It was weird. So I revert my flight and it happens again. Revert, same problem. Revert, same problem only this time I notice the bottom ring of the fairings was still stuck on my rocket. It was hung up on my landing legs!! Revert again, get above the atmosphere, lower my landing legs, deploy the fairings and everything is good!!!

I create a maneuver to get to Duna, then I create another maneuver to get an encounter with Ike. I don't have enough fuel to get into orbit of Ike so I satisfy one requirement of my contract (science date from space around Ike) and my trajectory has me crashing into Duna. I was able to transfer quite a bit of science data as I fell towards Duna. The last date was received by my probe three seconds before slamming into the planet Duna.

It didn't quite go as planned but I learned so much from this one mission. I love this game!!

I've currently got a crew on the way back from a flyby of Duna and Ike in a stock (plus Better Burn Time) career, though I've been distracted the past week or so trying to get a full 1.3.1 RO/RP-1/RSS/Principia install working right (Remote Tech is, I think, disagreeing with KSC Switcher -- Switcher says Mission Control is at the equator, in northwestern Brazil or eastern Colombia, which doesn't work out well to connect to sounding rockets launched from White Sands or Wallops).

14 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Well I personally don't call lithobraking a landing (unless something useful is still intact/the crew can get out) so..

It's surprisingly easy to lithobrake usefully on Duna, assuming that was the planned target. Oftentimes I underestimate parachutes or the altitude of the ground, leading to an impact of around 15-20m/s. Something often survives :D 

Spoiler

2f86W0j.jpg

Given that the OP aimed at Ike and got science from flying at Duna, I consider that a successful mission!

I actually ran out of fuel after my encounter with Duna and had to use RCS to actually achieve my orbit and just by dumb luck I acquired an encounter with Ike as I was breaking (which took forever by the way) but didn't have enough RCS to achieve an orbit and ended up slamming into Duna. I consider it a successful failure because I did get some science and it was my first attempt at an interplanetary transfer.

7 minutes ago, Snark said:

Moving this excellent mission report to Mission Reports.  :)

Oops!! I apologize!! I'm still learning this site. I didn't realize this should have gone there. Thank you.

Edited by ussoldier2002

1 hour ago, ussoldier2002 said:

Oops!! I apologize!! I'm still learning this site. I didn't realize this should have gone there. Thank you.

Heh, no worries. It's what we're for. ;) Welcome aboard!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.