Visual Glitching With Crafts 1.4.3

My mods are: Scatterer, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Trajectories, RCS Build Aid, Hanger Extender.

I'm not sure when it started, but I've noticed this weird visual glitch where any overlapping parts flicker between eachother. The effect is mainly observable in flight.

Craft when stationary:

TAmOdve.jpg

Craft in flight:

giphy.gif

This glitch only began to occur recently and I'm not sure why, it looks absolutely awful. While I'm not entirely certain, this glitch seems to have only started happening since I updated to 1.4.3. I also post my craft to KerbalX so getting good screenshots is important for me. The effect gets worse the farther the camera is from the craft, so screenshots with low FOV will show this effect even on stationary craft.

giphy.gif

Once again, the effect gets much worse when in flight.

This effect, as you can see, occurs even on things like wing parts which are placed normally, since wings in KSP are designed to kind of clip into each other by default.

This issue is seemingly unavoidable and extremely crippling. I'm not sure if any of my mods would cause something like this. My fear is that this is some bizarre stock feature (Maybe to prevent Z-fighting, or something?), in which case I'm completely stuck. It's so frustrating when I see no Z-fighting in the SPH only to get a glitchy mess in flight.

It even occurs between fairing segments (Sorry it's a bit hard to see)

giphy.gif

I would MASSIVELY appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

• 2 months later...

I am also having this bug, with the horrible "shakey" switching back and forth between two parts that clip (or even touch, it almost seems!) I have noticed that this only occurs if there are another craft within 2.8 kilometers or so though. It also seems to be gone if i leave two crafts that are glitching next to one another, close the game, then start it again. But as soon as I pull away it returns.

Please, does anyone have a solution to this issue? It was not present prior to 1.3 as far as I know.

EDIT: I have tried with no mods and the issue persists.

Edited by Kerfluffled

Okay, so it is a well-known stock bug that Squad knows about and is trying (hopefully) to fix? That is good to know, thanks!

I'd like to add though, that the issue appears (mainly) on parts that is clipping, but since it only comes into play when two crafts are closer than 2.8-3.0 km, it seems unlikely that it is the clipping parts that is the problem. The problem would surely be more likely to be connected to the physics engine somehow glitching the graphics when it deals with two crafts at once? (if memory serves, crafts further away than 3.0 km is static models "on rails"). The fact that two crafts that are in close proximity when the game loads does not experience this bug (perhaps due to the physics engine starting the simulation on both simultaniously) would, at least to me, seem to support this.

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Stock bug, case closed.

DONT CLIP PARTS INTO ONE ANOTHER.

I would be satisfied with that, but part clipping isn't even necessary.

U9N9fkh.gif

As you can see in this gif the glitching even occurs between the segments of a single fairing, where there is no part clipping whatsoever Not too mention the solar panels at the front that are also being affected despite not even TOUCHING the parts below them.

The glitch also seems to reset once the craft is above a certain altitude, in this case 200 meters. Dipping back below 200 meters also caused the glitch to come back, the glitch seems to build in intensity the longer the craft is flying below this "reset altitude". I have heard others mention this phenomenon as well, but the altitude at which this occured was different from mine, I am unsure what factors decide the altitude.

It should also be mentioned that the glitch does not completely disappear above the "reset altitude". This is most apparent if you look at the turbines after the craft goes above 200 meters. Setting the camera FOV low will also still make the glitch worse above the "reset altitude".

The glitch can also get much more severe than this.

21 hours ago, Kerfluffled said:

I am also having this bug, with the horrible "shakey" switching back and forth between two parts that clip (or even touch, it almost seems!) I have noticed that this only occurs if there are another craft within 2.8 kilometers or so though. It also seems to be gone if i leave two crafts that are glitching next to one another, close the game, then start it again. But as soon as I pull away it returns.

This is interesting, what you described is extremely similar to this glitch (I have also confirmed with others that they have experienced it as well) but I only started noticing after 1.4 and for me even a single craft with no other craft in physics range will experience the glitch.

13 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Did you have fairings in the cockpit?

Can you explain what you mean? The cockpit is inside of the fairing and is not visible, the "cockpit" at the front is actually a couple of solar panels.

Also as has been mentioned the glitch occurs without scatterer installed.

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/13/2018 at 6:52 PM, Xd the great said:

Stock bug, case closed.

Bug #?

On 8/14/2018 at 1:35 AM, Xd the great said:

Ah, thats why.

Z-fighting, that's why (probably). Jump to conclusions much?

1 hour ago, Galahir950 said:

I experience it as well and I almost never use parts clipping.

KSP has always had z-fighting on clipped parts to some extent, but the examples above are pretty extreme. I suggest eliminating any visual mods first, and making sure you are using the default renderer for your platform (which is?).
If it persists, reproduce the effect with an unmodded install, cap a video, and report a bug.

On 9/6/2018 at 4:43 AM, steve_v said:

KSP has always had z-fighting on clipped parts to some extent, but the examples above are pretty extreme. I suggest eliminating any visual mods first, and making sure you are using the default renderer for your platform (which is?).

If it persists, reproduce the effect with an unmodded install, cap a video, and report a bug.

Now that I am actually coherent, I have no memory of writing that post as it was 3:30am, I tracked it down to Scatterer causing it. I am on Win10 64bit, running without launch options. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I am pretty sure this is related to the near and far clipping planes of the camera having changed in a recent version, which causes a crap load of z-fighting. I see a fighting even on non-coplanar surfaces, e.g. where the crawlerway mound meets the ground.

As much as I love KSP, they really don't get the basics right yet, after all these years:

Improper camera clipping planes.

Bad Shadow Cascade values.

No postprocessing stack (at least there is a mod for that).

Well. I'm considering making this into a mod.

Edited by Thygrrr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.