Too many Polygons

I was making a LFO tank+ Engine for my upcoming mod. Since I know how to use SolidWorks, I made the part in there and imported it to wings3D.

0nbMEI9.jpg

As you can see, there are LOTS! of polygons, and they will be a nightmare to UV map. I somehow need to decrease the number of polygons.

Can anyone help me out on this one, please?

3 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

I was making a LFO tank+ Engine for my upcoming mod. Since I know how to use SolidWorks, I made the part in there and imported it to wings3D.

0nbMEI9.jpg

As you can see, there are LOTS! of polygons, and they will be a nightmare to UV map. I somehow need to decrease the number of polygons.

Can anyone help me out on this one, please?

There's all sorts of ways of reducing polygon counts, most of which are dependent on the software you're modelling in. But to be honest, what usually works best is just recreating the mesh components from scratch with less faces.  If possible set the original mesh to wire frame and then make a low poly version in place in solid view.

I'm not familiar with either solid works or wings 3d. I know there are users somewhere here though. But most software will have some sort of automatic system to reduce polygons. But it's often a bit daft. And I'd say some sections of the model should be excluded. That outside frame for instance doesn't need any reduction, and any automatic polygon reduction will make a mess of it. So you'll need to split the part up, and use differing levels of polygon reduction on each component.

look for something like a decimate function. Or subdivide if it can be cranked negative.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:32 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

There's all sorts of ways of reducing polygon counts, most of which are dependent on the software you're modelling in. But to be honest, what usually works best is just recreating the mesh components from scratch with less faces.  If possible set the original mesh to wire frame and then make a low poly version in place in solid view.

I'm not familiar with either solid works or wings 3d. I know there are users somewhere here though. But most software will have some sort of automatic system to reduce polygons. But it's often a bit daft. And I'd say some sections of the model should be excluded. That outside frame for instance doesn't need any reduction, and any automatic polygon reduction will make a mess of it. So you'll need to split the part up, and use differing levels of polygon reduction on each component.

look for something like a decimate function. Or subdivide if it can be cranked negative.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:48 AM, SpaceMouse said:

I agree with @TiktaalikDreaming, Most of those are rather basic shapes and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to recreate at a lower res. In Blender you could probably use Edge Dissolve as well, a tool I've grown quite fond of. I have no familiarity with solidworks though.

I recreated it from scratch in Wings3D, it has now 350 polys compared to 1700-something earlier! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.