[1.12.x] ScienceAlert ReAlerted : Experiment availability, now with DMagic support

8 hours ago, IanCanberra said:

Is anyone seeing the issue that on Minmus and Mun that the Bio Drill Scan is showing up but can never be run? All it states is can't be run now.  https://imgur.com/gallery/VvmHx88

Can you run it by hand?  If so, then please send me your save file

21 minutes ago, IanCanberra said:

But why is it showing up as available on non atmosphere bodies?

Right now, it's a quirk.  Also a similar problem with the EVA Science Experiment

Thanks for the save file, I've tried loking at it, but getting a message that the save is incompatible.  I'm guessing that you have mods installed I don't have.

So, can you please get me a log file (Player.log), and, assuming you used it, a CKAN modpack?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! Would asking here, or on Kerbalism's page be more appropriate for the question of potential interfacing with that mod's science overhauled system? Or would it be so wildly different so as to be a moot question? Thinking about if it would be easier to just put in a feature request to have this mod's basic idea (a single menu for available science experiments on vessel) for that mod, or if this would still be able to have functional compatibility.

14 hours ago, Jaxx said:

Hello! Would asking here, or on Kerbalism's page be more appropriate for the question of potential interfacing with that mod's science overhauled system? Or would it be so wildly different so as to be a moot question? Thinking about if it would be easier to just put in a feature request to have this mod's basic idea (a single menu for available science experiments on vessel) for that mod, or if this would still be able to have functional compatibility.

Kerbalism

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

I'm having a weird problem, possibly due to mod incompatibilities. (I also am using [x] Science!, but not for collection.

The problem is that when I run the experiments, there is no way to collect the data to the command pod, nor to review the data either.

No logs, no support.

I really need more detail, there isn't much to go on here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

Small(ish) issue on Universal Storage II science parts, which seem to enter an unusable state (and loss of the science data) when activated by this (or another) auto-science mod, and then EVA collection of data is attempted. I'm not 100% on the conditions, it doesn't seem to happen with recovered parts, at least not that I've seen yet.

Likely caused by USII's custom science module implementation as sciencealert works fine elsewhere. 

I've posted logs here

Just a heads up in case there's anything that could be done in differently in sciencealert to avoid this scenario occurring in USII?

Update on this Universal Storage II issue:

• It's caused by the science experiments not being 'deployed' prior to an experiment being run. 
  • Normally the player cannot run an experiment without deploying the module first but ScienceAlert inadvertently bypasses this

I was wondering why I hadn't noticed before, so I checked the science archive, which just shows no data recovered for the affected experiments.

qCeSzRw.png

So the experiment is recorded in the archive, but the science data on the craft is immediately destroyed and the experiment is locked (USII thinks it's full, and locks the part until it's emptied, but it can't be deployed or interacted with - it's entering a state it shouldn't be in). 

Workaround is to manually deploy everything before doing any science. Nope, even that doesn't work

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kielm

36 minutes ago, Kielm said:

So the experiment is recorded in the archive, but the science data on the craft is immediately destroyed and the experiment is locked (USII thinks it's full, and locks the part until it's emptied, but it can't be deployed or interacted with - it's entering a state it shouldn't be in). 

Workaround is to manually deploy everything before doing any science.

Hope this helps.

definitely does  help, not sure what to do right now, but thanks, will see what I can do later

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, Kielm said:

Workaround doesn't work - even opening the bay doors first and using sciencealert to run the experiment breaks it. How annoying :(

How about some specific steps to replicate?  Include a log file, please, and the specific experiments you are using, etc

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How about some specific steps to replicate?  Include a log file, please, and the specific experiments you are using, etc

1. Put a Universal Storage II Materials Bay (wedge) on a craft. 
  2. Launch it, and attempt to use sciencealert to gather the science from it (deploying or not beforehand makes no difference)

Whether the bay has been deployed or not, the science experiment will show as normal, and the option to retain/transmit it will appear. If you opt to keep the experiment results, the bay will lose the data and become inoperable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, Kielm said:
  1. Put a Universal Storage II Materials Bay (wedge) on a craft. 
  2. Launch it, and attempt to use sciencealert to gather the science from it (deploying or not beforehand makes no difference)

Whether the bay has been deployed or not, the science experiment will show as normal, and the option to retain/transmit it will appear. If you opt to keep the experiment results, the bay will lose the data and become inoperable. 

Is there a way I can edit my save file to "reset" the affected US2 experiments and perform them again by hand without ScienceAlert?

Edit: I figured it out on my own. Here are the steps to fix it (using the material bay wedge as an example):

1) Open the save file (persistent.sfs or quicksave.sfs)
2) Search for your vessels name
3) Within your vessels module, search for "USMatBayWedge" (material bay wedge, other experiments will have different names)
4) Scroll down until you find a module called "USAdvancedScience"
5) Set "isDeployed" and "Deployed" to "False"
6) Reload your game / quicksave and the experiments can be operated again.
7) Remember to not interact with US2 experiments with any of these science mods until this behaviour is fixed.

I hope this is the right place for this post and that this helps anyone :)

Edited by KCreate
Added description of how I fixed the issue myself

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.