Jump to content

[1.12.x] ScienceAlert ReAlerted : Experiment availability, now with DMagic support


linuxgurugamer
 Share

Recommended Posts

I found an interesting flaw in Science Alert ReAlerted Mod.

Recent version: 1.9.8.8

When using Universal Storage II's Materials Bay wedge or its Mystery Goo wedge, if I use Science Alert buttons to activate the observations, I only get one shot at the experiments.

These experiments have two bays each, so two experiments.  If I right click them and run them, collect them, I can re-run them one more time.

I noticed the Science Alert buttons for these are highlighted yellow instead of the regular white.  I dont know what that means but I assume its a one shot button.

In addition, if I use these buttons for these two experiments, I cannot collect the one experiment into the science container I have on board my probe.  Works fine when a capsule is attached, but not for probe cores and science containers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Much thanks to LGG for yet another excellent mod, plus community here supporting all our space races! Just wondering if anyone else has found duplicated science, from using Collect All feature for Science Alert in KSP 1.9 & 1.10?

Know it's calling stock command from PAW for science storage parts - seen Collect All in the mod, create identical copies in each part the science is passed through (listing in log top-left), storing these multiples copies in a final science storage part.

Not noticed it before, but since  KSP 1.9 have spotted this - first with 650 copies of science stored in a Bigby Workshop, assuming due to (lots of) mods conflicting or corruption. But also with very few mods (just other Science like Kraken & dMagic, US2 plus utility / quality of life like KAC & Engineer) when helping brother with his first Kerbin Station, which also had 7 Science storage parts inserting the same number of identical copies into an MPL (just repeated identical steps again a day later, after checking everything's up-to-date).

Before pulling logs & files from his install (or using a single part's PAW to Collect All instead), thought best check if I've overlooked something when playing - plus searching around and reading this thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SkiRich I think your dMagic mods need updating to work with last Science Alert from 1.9.8.7 onwards (see last quote below):

On 6/19/2020 at 2:09 AM, SkiRich said:

I found an interesting flaw in Science Alert ReAlerted Mod.

Recent version: 1.9.8.8

When using Universal Storage II's Materials Bay wedge or its Mystery Goo wedge, if I use Science Alert buttons to activate the observations, I only get one shot at the experiments.

These experiments have two bays each, so two experiments.  If I right click them and run them, collect them, I can re-run them one more time.

I noticed the Science Alert buttons for these are highlighted yellow instead of the regular white.  I dont know what that means but I assume its a one shot button.

In addition, if I use these buttons for these two experiments, I cannot collect the one experiment into the science container I have on board my probe.  Works fine when a capsule is attached, but not for probe cores and science containers.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.8.7

  • Fixed Collect all to be visible even when only one science container on vessel
  • a single Kerbal doesn't have a "collect all" action.
  • Added support for the DMagic experiments
  • Added support for DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric
  • Added check for old version of DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (disables if less than 0.23)
  • Thanks to githb user @Fitiales:
    • Added spanish translation

Important Note:  only works with v0.23 of DMModuleAnimateGeneric, just released today

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BenJee said:

@SkiRich I think your dMagic mods need updating to work with last Science Alert from 1.9.8.7 onwards (see last quote below):

 

Thanks, but everything is current.

My workaround is to not use Science Alert to engage the science, Instead I created an action group to engage all the science and then I just reset the science that is zero.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, BenJee said:

Much thanks to LGG for yet another excellent mod, plus community here supporting all our space races! Just wondering if anyone else has found duplicated science, from using Collect All feature for Science Alert in KSP 1.9 & 1.10?

Know it's calling stock command from PAW for science storage parts - seen Collect All in the mod, create identical copies in each part the science is passed through (listing in log top-left), storing these multiples copies in a final science storage part.

Not noticed it before, but since  KSP 1.9 have spotted this - first with 650 copies of science stored in a Bigby Workshop, assuming due to (lots of) mods conflicting or corruption. But also with very few mods (just other Science like Kraken & dMagic, US2 plus utility / quality of life like KAC & Engineer) when helping brother with his first Kerbin Station, which also had 7 Science storage parts inserting the same number of identical copies into an MPL (just repeated identical steps again a day later, after checking everything's up-to-date).

Before pulling logs & files from his install (or using a single part's PAW to Collect All instead), thought best check if I've overlooked something when playing - plus searching around and reading this thread!

Was just coming to see if this was reported :D

It's not even particularly consistent about how many copies it makes either - in some cases, I ended up with 72 reports in a container (18 * 4,) but others just had 18 reports (which still means those 18 science reports are duplicated among multiple parts)

Hopefully it's something easy to find, like forgetting to check for something in whatever loop goes through and tries to collect data. If not, I can probably hack together some minimal-install replication steps sometime in the next couple of days.

Edit: I just realized that I should explicitly state two things: First, "collect all" works fine as long as there's only a single part that can collect science data. Second, the bug seems to crop up when you've got multiple (6 in my case) parts that could collect science.

Edited by etmoonshade
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

Was just coming to see if this was reported :D

It's not even particularly consistent about how many copies it makes either - in some cases, I ended up with 72 reports in a container (18 * 4,) but others just had 18 reports (which still means those 18 science reports are duplicated among multiple parts)

Hopefully it's something easy to find, like forgetting to check for something in whatever loop goes through and tries to collect data. If not, I can probably hack together some minimal-install replication steps sometime in the next couple of days.

Edit: I just realized that I should explicitly state two things: First, "collect all" works fine as long as there's only a single part that can collect science data. Second, the bug seems to crop up when you've got multiple (6 in my case) parts that could collect science.

Cheers etmoonshade - you explained it much more succinctly then I did! Guess if Science Alert's just calling a Stock Collect All function for all Science Storage parts: I'm assuming maybe Squad changed the implementation in v1.9, which is causing it to break the basic rule of no duplicate Science stored in parts (just EVA Kerbals)?

I checked my Mun Station: Collect All via mod still pulls many duplicates into the Bigby Workshop (as I first found in v1.9), leaving one copy in the penultimate part all the Science is pulled through - think I've probably used manual EVA or Experimental Science Container's PAW in paranoia since!

Agreed: bit random but certainly more Science Storage parts then much more likely to find this, but I'm sure a Mun Lander (Can with Experiment Storage) hasn't experienced Collect All issue so far.

Will also take a proper look at what's causing this, made my KSP tuition with brother even more complex - but at least if root cause is mix of mods (rather than Stock issue): his limited utility installs has certainly whittled down my long list of culprits to more manageable amount to isolate with!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2020 at 3:46 PM, etmoonshade said:

Edit: I just realized that I should explicitly state two things: First, "collect all" works fine as long as there's only a single part that can collect science data. Second, the bug seems to crop up when you've got multiple (6 in my case) parts that could collect science.

I've seen this happen with just two parts capable of holding science. I sort of avoid Collect All for this reason. Unless I'm down to a simple craft, I tend to stick to Action Groups to always collect where I want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, Morphisor said:

This mod has proven valuable to me, since switching over from x science. I feel there's something I'm missing though, and perhaps it's just me. But is there a way to set the filter method for *all* experiments globally, instead of individually per experiment type?

Have you noticed any sort of performance difference between the two?  I'm currently using X-Science and A.S.S. together.  I'd like to get down to just one of this type of mod if possible.  Also, if I'm going to change it would be good to get a couple of opinions first.

The reason I've kept using A.S.S. is that it has automatic collection (to a specified collector if there's more than 1) and automatic reset if you have a scientist available.  I really enjoy the QoL those features bring but I'm actively trying to trim my mod list.  But I've also kept X-Science installed because A.S.S. doesn't drop warp/notify if you, for example, cross a biome and a new EVA report becomes available.  It can only detect science that is available in a given scene/instant.

Looking at the OP, linuxGG has said that reset is on a potential road-map but dude is soooper busy - while also highly skilled and appreciated within the community!  If reset is the only thing I'd lose - and this had better performance than X-Science I may consider it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2020 at 5:33 PM, Idleness said:

Have you noticed any sort of performance difference between the two?  I'm currently using X-Science and A.S.S. together.  I'd like to get down to just one of this type of mod if possible.  Also, if I'm going to change it would be good to get a couple of opinions first.

The reason I've kept using A.S.S. is that it has automatic collection (to a specified collector if there's more than 1) and automatic reset if you have a scientist available.  I really enjoy the QoL those features bring but I'm actively trying to trim my mod list.  But I've also kept X-Science installed because A.S.S. doesn't drop warp/notify if you, for example, cross a biome and a new EVA report becomes available.  It can only detect science that is available in a given scene/instant.

Looking at the OP, linuxGG has said that reset is on a potential road-map but dude is soooper busy - while also highly skilled and appreciated within the community!  If reset is the only thing I'd lose - and this had better performance than X-Science I may consider it.

X-science has a bunch of compatibility issues with the latest KSP and various science mods, resulting in decreased performance among other things. ScienceAlert has proven very efficient to me, I just miss the database and filter settings from X-science.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Morphisor said:

I just miss the database and filter settings from X-science.

Yeah, this.

Sometimes it seems that ScienceAlert also gets confused and doesn't remember science that is done. I think the problem might go away if I change settings to only alert on <90%, instead of 'maxed'. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Just tried this mod flying around Kerbin and found that when I hover the mouse over the mod's window, it neutralizes the joystick input. It's a bit disconcerting when I'm holding some elevator input or turning.  v1.9.8.9 on KSP 1.10.1, Win10

If you are hovering over the window, depending on your ClickThroughBlocker settings, the window will keep focus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Just tried this mod flying around Kerbin and found that when I hover the mouse over the mod's window, it neutralizes the joystick input. It's a bit disconcerting when I'm holding some elevator input or turning.  v1.9.8.9 on KSP 1.10.1, Win10

That's probably going to happen with any of my mods that uses the ClickThroughBlocker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 11/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, Krazy1 said:

Just tried this mod flying around Kerbin and found that when I hover the mouse over the mod's window, it neutralizes the joystick input. It's a bit disconcerting when I'm holding some elevator input or turning.  v1.9.8.9 on KSP 1.10.1, Win10

Also happens with MechJeb windows.  But this has happened with MJ since like KSP 0.x.  Disconcerting when you don't know it happens, but you can plan for it.  I am only just starting to use Atmospheric Autopilot, but I believe there is a setting that will allow you to hold course and altitute.  Like I mentioned, I'm new to AtmoAuto.  You can set MJ to hold your altitude and attitude also.  Either one of those mods will allow you to gather your science without needing to constantly use the joystick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, smotheredrun said:

hold your altitude and attitude

Sure. I just wasn't sure if that was expected or not. I'm doing mod debugging.  Pilot Assistant is another option.

@linuxgurugamer After removing this mod  v1.9.8.9 (at least temporarily), I have a KSP log error when a craft loads.   Completely asymptomatic in-game so far. I'm just paranoid. 

[ERR 10:32:19.028] Cannot find a Module of typename 'ScienceAlertProfileManager'
[ERR 10:32:19.029] ScenarioModule is null.

KSP log - line 5361

I used CKAN to remove it, including the file folders. It does this on new craft too (like in the log attached), not just ones active when the mod was installed.

My persistent.sfs has this:

Spoiler

    SCENARIO
    {
        name = ScienceAlertProfileManager
        scene = 7
        ScienceAlert_Profiles
        {
            852991fd-6b24-4627-84e6-a71910238545
            {
                name = default
                modified = False
                scienceThreshold = 0
                recovery
                {
                    Enabled = True
                    SoundOnDiscovery = True
                    AnimationOnDiscovery = True
                    StopWarpOnDiscovery = False
                    Filter = Unresearched
                    IsDefault = False
                }
                ROCScience_EelooBerg
                {
                    Enabled = True
                    SoundOnDiscovery = True
                    AnimationOnDiscovery = True
                    StopWarpOnDiscovery = False
                    Filter = Unresearched
                    IsDefault = False
                }
                ROCScience_EelooBrownBoulder
                {
                    Enabled = True
                    SoundOnDiscovery = True
                    AnimationOnDiscovery = True
                    StopWarpOnDiscovery = False
                    Filter = Unresearched
                    IsDefault = False
                }

***snip***

                ALSEPreflectorExp
                {
                    Enabled = True
                    SoundOnDiscovery = True
                    AnimationOnDiscovery = True
                    StopWarpOnDiscovery = False
                    Filter = Unresearched
                    IsDefault = False
                }
            }
        }
    }
 

Normal? Bad? Ignore? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

@linuxgurugamer After removing this mod  v1.9.8.9 (at least temporarily), I have a KSP log error when a craft loads.   Completely asymptomatic in-game so far. I'm just paranoid. 

You can ignore it, or you can edit the save file to remove those sections.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Tested it in 1.11, there seems to be some bugs happening.

(tested with ReStock and DMagicScienceAnimate)

First, the thermometer isn't detected at all as an available science experiment, but is getting collected when pressing the corresponding button.

The mystery goo doesn't run its animation and can't be restored by a scientist after hitting "collect all", despite him being 5 star. Steps to reproduce: hit run mystery goo -> collect all -> no restore option available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...