[1.12.x] ScienceAlert ReAlerted : Experiment availability, now with DMagic support

From what I understand of the Science Labs, (and I understand only a little as I don't use them) is that Science that has been "Completed" (Returned to KSC or Transmitted to KSC) can still be processed in the Lab for extra science. BUT each report can only be processed once in each lab.

So you could for instance, Collect a Crew report at the Launch Pad, and transmit it to KSC, Its now completed in the R&D.

Take another crew report at Launch Pad (which would technically have zero value since its completed), transfer it to your Science Lab 1 for processing. 

Take another Crew Report at Launch Pad and transfer to to Science Lab 2 for processing. etc.

ScienceAlert ONLY tracks what has been collected and/or completed for the R&D. (AFAIK when you put uncompleted experiments in the Science lab, it gets zeroed out in Science Alert, because you have no experiment to return to KSC.)

In the example above you could put the Launch Pad Crew Report in Lab 1, get it again and put it in Lab 2, get in again and transmitted it to KSC, and it will now be shown as complete in ScienceAlert and the R&D.

What your wanting is a Science Alert tracker for each lab you build. While I bet it is possible, since each lab can accept all science reports but can only accept each report once, somewhere there is a list of what each lab has received.

But that is not what this mod is for, but maybe some one can make a mod that will show what experiments each lab has received.

I noticed that Science Alert seems to be not working when in the landed situation.  X-Science checklist indicates science is available but Science Alert does not trigger and I set the filter to equal "Not Maxed" for all experiments.  I have attached screenshots, I am using KSP version 1.6.1 with version 1.9.5.3 for Science Alert.  Once I launch, it seems to be working better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6brmdn4hvb59la/screenshot_2019-02-03--09-23-58.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6dx2fq39gr1ji2/screenshot_2019-02-03--09-22-24.png?dl=0

25 minutes ago, HawkEngineer said:

I noticed that Science Alert seems to be not working when in the landed situation.  X-Science checklist indicates science is available but Science Alert does not trigger and I set the filter to equal "Not Maxed" for all experiments.  I have attached screenshots, I am using KSP version 1.6.1 with version 1.9.5.3 for Science Alert.  Once I launch, it seems to be working better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6brmdn4hvb59la/screenshot_2019-02-03--09-23-58.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6dx2fq39gr1ji2/screenshot_2019-02-03--09-22-24.png?dl=0

Well, it works fine on Kerbin though:

Eb4Ehad.png

Probably an inssue between ScienceAlert and GPP....can you upload a logfile please?

1 hour ago, HawkEngineer said:

Sure, here is the link to the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jmm9gc9jpuwhae/KSP.log?dl=0

Uff, there are a bunch of errors there but just one regarding ScienceAlert:

[WRN 11:20:35.472] ScienceAlert: RemoveMagicTransmitter: caught exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.StorageCache.RemoveMagicTransmitter (Boolean rootOnly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I can find the part of the code which causes this message and it seem to fail because the module "MagicDataTransmitter" is not present in the vessel but I have no clue why it is not available...I don't really get the code about this module :/

It's time to summon the ModFather \o/ @linuxgurugamer \o/

15 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Uff, there are a bunch of errors there but just one regarding ScienceAlert:

[WRN 11:20:35.472] ScienceAlert: RemoveMagicTransmitter: caught exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.StorageCache.RemoveMagicTransmitter (Boolean rootOnly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I can find the part of the code which causes this message and it seem to fail because the module "MagicDataTransmitter" is not present in the vessel but I have no clue why it is not available...I don't really get the code about this module :/

It's time to summon the ModFather \o/ @linuxgurugamer \o/

MagicDataTransmitter is a module added at runtime to the vessel.

It's very odd, it should only try to remove it if it exists.

I'm suspecting that for some reason,  the vessel.rootPart.Modules is null.

Try this zip, it has a couple of extra checks for nulls.  It's the complete mod, but all you really need is the dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acw2s0astz17pya/ScienceAlertBeta.zip?dl=0

Please let me know how it goes

Actually, it starts to make sense.  Please upload the craft file so I can look at it. I need it as it is failing

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

MagicDataTransmitter is a module added at runtime to the vessel.

It's very odd, it should only try to remove it if it exists.

I'm suspecting that for some reason,  the vessel.rootPart.Modules is null.

Try this zip, it has a couple of extra checks for nulls.  It's the complete mod, but all you really need is the dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acw2s0astz17pya/ScienceAlertBeta.zip?dl=0

Please let me know how it goes

Actually, it starts to make sense.  Please upload the craft file so I can look at it. I need it as it is failing

Thanks @linuxgurugamer, I downloaded the new science alert files and it appears the problem has been corrected on my initial test.  I plan to build some additional craft to see if the problem occurs again. 

Here's the link to the craft file when I started to notice the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wicqguse2w906gx/[Viking I%2C Mission -] 1st Launch.craft?dl=0

the new update seems to have a major bug with transmitters, a probe core sitting on the launch pad will have no connection

might be a problem with the new mechjeb though, i added both at once and i cant seem to narrow down which it could be.

Edited by lunaris69
correction

I installed both Science Alert Realerted and Experiment Tracker retracked including it's dependencies and tried to activate the toolbar buttons but couldn't find them in the menu. All other buttons (ScanSat, DOE, Alarm Clock, etc..) work just right. Any ideas on how to fix the issue? Thanks a lot^^

8 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Do you have an antenna on the probe? The built-in antenna cannot be used to transmit science, which is a stock behaviour.

no i dont mean for transmitting science, i mean any connection whatsoever, no connection no probe control, little red indicator indicating such where there would be a green one indicating what my connection strength to the space center is

I'm guessing you probably aren't having the same issue when you play it right? i'm starting to suspect its mechjeb2

21 hours ago, DaCoda said:

I installed both Science Alert Realerted and Experiment Tracker retracked including it's dependencies and tried to activate the toolbar buttons but couldn't find them in the menu. All other buttons (ScanSat, DOE, Alarm Clock, etc..) work just right. Any ideas on how to fix the issue? Thanks a lot^^

Had same issue after updating to 1.9.5.4 via CKAN. Closing KSP and re-opening it (not re-loading or starting new game) resolved issue.

(I also deleted what CKAN downloaded and replaced with GitHub version, but WinMerge detects no differences between the two, so assuming it was just the restart that fixed)

2 hours ago, kluj said:

Had same issue after updating to 1.9.5.4 via CKAN. Closing KSP and re-opening it (not re-loading or starting new game) resolved issue.

(I also deleted what CKAN downloaded and replaced with GitHub version, but WinMerge detects no differences between the two, so assuming it was just the restart that fixed)

The restarting didn't help. But the reinstalling manually from github was the correct way of resolving the matter in fact. ScienceAlert and the Toolbar Controller show up correctly in the stock bar now.

Thererfore the problem could lie in the ckan version of the Toolbar mod as it's a common dependancy for any mods that didn't show up.

Thanks a lot for the tip :)

Edited by DaCoda

46 minutes ago, DaCoda said:

Thererfore the problem could lie in the ckan version of the Toolbar mod as it's a common dependancy for any mods that didn't show up.

I tend to doubt that, otherwise there would be many reports.

Also, the Toolbar mod is very old and very mature, it hasn't had a bug in over a year.

I use CKAN to install everything, and don't have a problem with it.  You could have had a corrupted file, but it's a bit late now

16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I tend to doubt that, otherwise there would be many reports.

Also, the Toolbar mod is very old and very mature, it hasn't had a bug in over a year.

I use CKAN to install everything, and don't have a problem with it.  You could have had a corrupted file, but it's a bit late now

Makes a lot of sense now that you say it as I just remembered that all the files in ckan were cached in CKAN so the corruped file probably lies in one of these cached versions.

Thanks for your response :)

Hello Everyone, I was playing through my career game using GPP using KSP 1.6 and ScienceAlert 1.9.5.4.  When I landed on the surface of Iota, science alert failed to alert of any science, however, X-Science checklist indicated there was missing science. Before touching down on Iota, science alert appeared to be working and detecting science opportunities.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I have attached my log file and a screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yklm2iq7n2kfcke/screenshot_2019-02-12--13-53-10.png?dl=0

2 minutes ago, HawkEngineer said:

Hello Everyone, I was playing through my career game using GPP using KSP 1.6 and ScienceAlert 1.9.5.4.  When I landed on the surface of Iota, science alert failed to alert of any science, however, X-Science checklist indicated there was missing science. Before touching down on Iota, science alert appeared to be working and detecting science opportunities.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I have attached my log file and a screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yklm2iq7n2kfcke/screenshot_2019-02-12--13-53-10.png?dl=0

Could you also provide the save file?  Preferably in the situation where the picture was

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could you also provide the save file?  Preferably in the situation where the picture was

Unfortunately, I don't have a save file for when the probe was on the surface, but the save file below is just after I reentered in orbit around Iota.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae92mo1xy1tel3z/quicksave2.sfs?dl=0

1 hour ago, HawkEngineer said:

Yes, after manually clicking on each science part. 

Not much I can do then. Next time this happens, please exit the game before you get the science and package up the save game and the log files and send them to me.  I need to see the situation before the science is obtained. 

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not much I can do then. Next time this happens, please exit the game before you get the science and package up the save game and the log files and send them to me.  I need to see the situation before the science is obtained. 

Sorry, for some reason I didn't save when I noticed the issue.  I will send another probe to see if the same situation occurs again and let you know.  Thanks for your time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.