[1.12.x] ScienceAlert ReAlerted : Experiment availability, now with DMagic support

Hello all :)
I have same problem how BobbyTheNaut.

I doing all what you write here (i try on clear version 1.7), but still ScienceAlert don't work me. :c 

Win 10
1.7 from steam
huge, but on clear version don't work too
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kj-F-4pe5jcdtvRKd40LEmulc--Bczn5/view?usp=sharing (from with mod version)

I think need update this mod on KSP 1.7 ;/

Sorry for my English.

@Devixon you appear to have two different versions of ScienceAlert installed. From your logfile:

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ScienceAlert v1.9.0.1
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.7.1 / v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ToolbarControl v0.1.6.20 / v1.0.0.0
ScienceAlert v1.9.6.2
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35

Try downloading and reinstalling. ScienceAlert is working fine for me in 1.7 along with around 100 mods.

Edited by IntoSpaceAgain
Copy/paste error!

6 hours ago, Devixon said:

I have same problem how BobbyTheNaut.

Apparently, you also posted the same link to the log... I hope this was a mistake and you didn't create a second account to suggest a more serious issue.

So far, the solution I've posted before is still valid, this will also solve the issue mentioned by @IntoSpaceAgain .

On 5/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, IntoSpaceAgain said:

@Devixon you appear to have two different versions of ScienceAlert installed. From your logfile:

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ScienceAlert v1.9.0.1
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.7.1 / v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ToolbarControl v0.1.6.20 / v1.0.0.0
ScienceAlert v1.9.6.2
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35

Try downloading and reinstalling. ScienceAlert is working fine for me in 1.7 along with around 100 mods.

@IntoSpaceAgain OMG i doing this, i delete folder, start game and off she and install again. It Work. :confused:

Previously, I had only a purple square and sounds now everything works beautifully.

Thanks for help. :kiss:

Apparently, I've overlooked the fact that I have two versions installed.

@4x4cheesecake OMGx2 I actually gave the wrong link, this is my https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kMZ83uU-VPXOuqRReSNKmX3EbqH18nnv/view?usp=sharing but reinstall help me. :blush:

@Devixon Glad to hear it's working now :)

A little hint for you though, since the log you have linked is from a KSP 1.2.0 install: After 1.3.1, the log file location changed, on windows it is now located in:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt 

So when you need to share a log the next time, use this one ;)

For more informations, take a look here:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, wisnoskij said:

Any chance of updating the metadata so this works on ckan?

You can set previous game version to be compatible with the actual KSP version. In CKAN, go to Settings -> Compatible KSP Versions and set a checkmark for 1.6. As soon as you apply the changes, Science Alert should be visible in CKAN again :)

edit: LGG pointed out, that 1.7.x actually has some mod compatibility issues. I've tested this workaround just for 1.7.0 and noticed no issues but when using workarounds like this, you should never expect a mod to run properly ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Science Alert in 1.7.1 and kerbin and my ship vanished map view would only show empty space.  

Also when I reverted my rover it was semi transparent and I could see the stars inside of it. I did try using some landing legs and was able to drive around with the rover on kerbin without The world vanishing. Most of the time if I move my ship all the planets and vanished.

Edited by Vaga

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, Vaga said:

I tried Science Alert in 1.7.1 and kerbin and my ship vanished map view would only show empty space.  

Also when I reverted my rover it was semi transparent and I could see the stars inside of it. I did try using some landing legs and was able to drive around with the rover on kerbin without The world vanishing. Most of the time if I move my ship all the planets and vanished.

Science Alert is no longer working for me in 1.7.1 but its not that bad!

On 5/24/2019 at 12:33 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

You can set previous game version to be compatible with the actual KSP version. In CKAN, go to Settings -> Compatible KSP Versions and set a checkmark for 1.6. As soon as you apply the changes, Science Alert should be visible in CKAN again :)

Not for this mod. please be careful about suggesting this, apparently 1.7.* is breaking more than I thought

40 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not for this mod. please be careful about suggesting this, apparently 1.7.* is breaking more than I thought

I always test the mods before suggesting workarounds like this and I haven't noticed any issues with science alert in 1.7.0, which was the latest version at this time.

I'll edit the quoted post and add a note anyway.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

4 hours ago, GrayTech said:

Look like the current version  ScienceAlert ReAlerted will cause the new DLC rover arm and rock pickup contracts to not complete.

If you could provide a save file for me to test with, I could try to get this fixed tomorrow

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you could provide a save file for me to test with, I could try to get this fixed tomorrow

@linuxgurugamer I included a quicksave in the bug report.  Will that do?  The save is a little messy because I added and removed mods until I was able to isolate it to this one.  The craft in that file is meant to be cheated back to kerbin orbit after retrieving the mun rock. 

You can probably just quicksave before the vehicle recovery for a quicker test.

Edited by GrayTech

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see it in the list of options, but can this be made to automatically collect science as well? It can get pretty tedious over some of these planets with many biomes to constantly be collecting by hand. Both of the other mods I've seen that allow automated collection aren't being maintained and seem to have many bugs with 1.7.x

7 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

I didn't see it in the list of options, but can this be made to automatically collect science as well? It can get pretty tedious over some of these planets with many biomes to constantly be collecting by hand. Both of the other mods I've seen that allow automated collection aren't being maintained and seem to have many bugs with 1.7.x

I use ForScience and it works fine in 1.7.1. I'm not upgraded to the newest KSP yet because of Kopernicus but I've not heard anything broke there either.

So I was playing the other day a modded game and I noticed that some of my experiments that used to ignore biomes like the Magnetometer Boom (that used to care only about spaceLow and spaceHigh) now did care about them, and I tracked this to the patch from @Gordon Dry that is included in the mod. I understand that it makes sense for situationMask not to be 0, but it seems to me that biomeMask being 0 is a legit value, not all science has to be biome dependent. I tried looking for the message that biomeMask had to be a non-zero value, but I didn't find it.

@Razhan you suggest the patch changed to this?
GameData\ScienceAlert\MM_Configs\zzz_fix_biomeMask_situationMask_0.cfg

//
// This file contributed by forum user @Gordon Dry to fix any science which
// doesn't have a situation mask
//
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],~biomeMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 48
	@biomeMask = 48
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[0],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 48
	//@biomeMask = 48
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],~biomeMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 63
	@biomeMask = 63
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[0],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 63
	//@biomeMask = 63
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[>0]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = #$biomeMask$
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],~situationMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	@biomeMask = 48
	@situationMask = 48
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],~situationMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	@biomeMask = 63
	@situationMask = 63
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],#situationMask[>0]]:FINAL
{
	@biomeMask = #$situationMask$
} 

Actually I'm not using that mod because of RO RP-1 Kerbalism etc.

@Gordon DryNot exactly. The logic for situationMask seems good, but when it comes to biomeMask the only thing we should do is set if to 0 if not present.

I got a weird interaction on my save with JNSQ, Kerbalism, Strategia, Dmagic and this (don't ask why it was there) that net me several million funds shortly after starting. And although the bug is in Strategia, this patch made it quite worse

@Razhan then I guess it should be this one:

//
//
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],~biomeMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 48
	//@biomeMask = 48
	@biomeMask = 0
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[0],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 48
	//@biomeMask = 48
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],~biomeMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 63
	//@biomeMask = 63
	@biomeMask = 0
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[0],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 63
	//@biomeMask = 63
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#situationMask[0],#biomeMask[>0]]:FINAL
{
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],~situationMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?alse]|#requireAtmosphere[FALSE]]:FINAL
{
	//@biomeMask = 48
	@situationMask = 48
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],~situationMask[],#requireAtmosphere[?rue]|#requireAtmosphere[TRUE]]:FINAL
{
	//@biomeMask = 63
	@situationMask = 63
}

// @EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[#biomeMask[0],#situationMask[>0]]:FINAL
// {
	// @biomeMask = #$situationMask$
// }

I think I would go for something like this

//
//
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[~biomeMask[]]:FINAL
{
	@biomeMask = 0
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[~situationMask[>0],#biomeMask[>0]]:FINAL
{
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION:HAS[~situationMask[>0],~biomeMask[>0]]:FINAL
{
	@situationMask = 63
}

Now, my MM syntax is beyond rusty, so if anyone wants to review this, but my idea:

If there is no biomeMask defined, define it with value 0

If the situationMask is not greater than zero (meaning it is null or zero) but you have a biomeMask that is not zero, copy that value (I wonder if anyone would define a biomeMask without defining a situationMask, but better safe than sorry)

If you can't copy biomeMask, just say the experiment can be run anywhere (if it requiresAtmosphere, it will not be run in space anyway).

I'm trying to mimic how KSP behave before they added biomes in 0.22 (and I feel old now)

Was using this in an older save file, but with current KSP version.  Started a new career to get the biome features in Breaking Ground that wouldn't work unless you start with a clean save file.  Well, now this mod is barely notifying biomes when science is available.  I say "barely", because it does do it sometimes, but is missing the biome cues 90% of the time.  I have it set to always notify if any available science.  First launch on launchpad with science instruments and it detects no science available.