[1.12.x] ScienceAlert ReAlerted : Experiment availability, now with DMagic support

On 11/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You need to post a log file before I’ll look into this

Here it is: https://ufile.io/dipsh9qx 

I'll also add that after clicking the "Deploy all" or "Deploy all but EVA" buttons, the EVA Report option doesn't show up when arriving in the new biome.

Edited by Physical Copy

@linuxgurugamer so looking at it now, I've tried with just SAReA and its 2 dependencies and I see slightly different behaviour.  I see the same type of errors in KSP.log I saw before but I was able to collect science from the parts for regular mystery goo and science jr.  I'll have to add back some mods slowly to see where the break happens. In the meantime, here's some snippets of the log.

[ERR 21:11:41.581] ScienceAlert: Failed to invoke "DeployExperiment" using GetType(), falling back to base type after encountering exception System.MissingMethodException: ModuleScienceExperiment.DeployExperiment Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.
  at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] providedArgs, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.String[] namedParams) [0x0070c] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Type.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.Experiments.ExperimentObserver.Deploy () [0x00055] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 

[ERR 21:23:31.166] Exception handling event onVesselChange in class DraggableOptionsWindow:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ScienceAlert.ProfileData.ScienceAlertProfileManager.get_ActiveProfile () [0x00019] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnProfileChanged () [0x00000] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnVisibilityChanged (System.Boolean tf) [0x00006] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnVesselChanged (Vessel vessel) [0x00007] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 
  at EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) [0x000b0] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

[EXC 21:23:31.167] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ScienceAlert.ProfileData.ScienceAlertProfileManager.get_ActiveProfile () (at <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0)
	ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnProfileChanged () (at <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0)
	ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnVisibilityChanged (System.Boolean tf) (at <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0)
	ScienceAlert.Windows.DraggableOptionsWindow.OnVesselChanged (Vessel vessel) (at <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0)
	EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
	FlightGlobals:setActiveVessel(Vessel, Boolean)
	FlightGlobals:SetActiveVessel(Vessel)
	ShipConstruction:AssembleForLaunch(ShipConstruct, String, String, String, Game, VesselCrewManifest, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Orbit, Boolean, Boolean)
	ShipConstruction:AssembleForLaunch(ShipConstruct, String, String, String, Game, VesselCrewManifest)
	FlightDriver:setStartupNewVessel()
	FlightDriver:Start()

[ERR 21:23:34.860] ScienceAlert: ExperimentManager.RebuildObserverList: No ScanInterface component found

Sorry @linuxgurugamer, after poking around I don't know for sure if this is a problem with SAReA, or one of the dependencies.  From the Player.log I can only see ScienceAlert errors.  The bad interaction doesn't seem to happen until after I install DMagic Module Science Animate.  When this is installed I can interact with the science parts fine on a ship load.  However, if I click on the Deploy All button in SAReA interface then the Goo and Sci Jr parts fail to respond or animate.

Here's the log...

Edit to add ksp.log ERRs, though I know that log is not always considered useful.

[ERR 23:05:57.993] ScienceAlert: Failed to invoke "DeployExperiment" using GetType(), falling back to base type after encountering exception System.MissingMethodException: ModuleScienceExperiment.DeployExperiment Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.
  at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] providedArgs, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.String[] namedParams) [0x0070c] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.Type.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at ScienceAlert.Experiments.ExperimentObserver.Deploy () [0x00055] in <5b63d426cefd489880dbed062d239ee8>:0 

[LOG 23:05:57.994] [Experiments]: Setting FX Modules to 1...
[LOG 23:05:57.994] [Experiments]: FX Modules set: 1
[LOG 23:06:07.582] Added 1.999999 (2) reputation: 'Progression'.
[ERR 23:06:08.873] ScienceAlert: Failed to invoke "DeployExperiment" using GetType(), falling back to base type after encountering exception System.MissingMethodException: DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.DeployExperiment Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.

[LOG 23:06:08.873] [Experiments]: Setting FX Modules to 1...
[LOG 23:06:08.873] [Experiments]: FX Modules set: 1
[ERR 23:06:08.873] ScienceAlert: Failed to invoke "DeployExperiment" using GetType(), falling back to base type after encountering exception System.MissingMethodException: DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.DeployExperiment Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.

Edited by Idleness

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the DMagic Orbital Science goodies cannot be run directly from ScienceAlert, though they can be run from their own menus.

Something I've noticed ... the DMagic experiments that do not work automatically have a sort of two-step process. Meaning, they have a "toggle" option where the experiment becomes active, and then an option for actually running the experiment. Using the experiment's PAW you can skip the "toggle" step by just clicking the run experiment button, but I'm wondering if this sort of two-step animation thing prevents SA from being able to trigger the experiment. This is my W.A.G. based only on the fact that it works fine on other experiments (e.g. stock, Kraken science) and DMagic is the only one I've used that has this two-step-ish feature.

21 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I can confirm that the DMagic Orbital Science goodies cannot be run directly from ScienceAlert, though they can be run from their own menus.

Something I've noticed ... the DMagic experiments that do not work automatically have a sort of two-step process. Meaning, they have a "toggle" option where the experiment becomes active, and then an option for actually running the experiment. Using the experiment's PAW you can skip the "toggle" step by just clicking the run experiment button, but I'm wondering if this sort of two-step animation thing prevents SA from being able to trigger the experiment. This is my W.A.G. based only on the fact that it works fine on other experiments (e.g. stock, Kraken science) and DMagic is the only one I've used that has this two-step-ish feature.

DMagic Orbital Science has it's own science modules to do science which are not compatible with the stock science modules.  I would have to do some special coding to support it, and would have to do that for every mod which has its own science modules.

Just wanted to add that the DMagic OS experiments worked fine with SA in 1.7, just started with 1.8 to not toggle.  Thought it might be a "wait for the next update" issue.  I've also noticed the disappearing EVA button.  Thanks for this great mod, one of my must haves.

Has anyone ever seen a kerbal disappear using this mod? Just got my first kerbal into orbit in my current game, and as i was orbiting, got notified that there was an eva report available, clicked the button on the notification panel, kerbal eva'd, was visible just long enough to see her on the ladder outside the pod, then vanished. Game doesn't show her as dead, she's completely gone from the game. persistant file shows she exited the vehicle, then flew by the sun, and is now missing.

9 minutes ago, avalancha said:

Jup I can confirm that one. Love your investigation into the save file! I always just quick loaded and did the EVA manually, then continued on my marry way :D

I hadn't quick saved in a long time, so that wasn't an option. save file editing was the only way to restore my missing pilot. 

17 hours ago, Huttwin said:

Just wanted to add that the DMagic OS experiments worked fine with SA in 1.7, just started with 1.8 to not toggle.  Thought it might be a "wait for the next update" issue.  I've also noticed the disappearing EVA button.  Thanks for this great mod, one of my must haves.

I'll look into it

On 11/13/2019 at 10:31 PM, Idleness said:

Sorry @linuxgurugamer, after poking around I don't know for sure if this is a problem with SAReA, or one of the dependencies.  From the Player.log I can only see ScienceAlert errors.  The bad interaction doesn't seem to happen until after I install DMagic Module Science Animate.  When this is installed I can interact with the science parts fine on a ship load.  However, if I click on the Deploy All button in SAReA interface then the Goo and Sci Jr parts fail to respond or animate.

When you install the Dmagic Science Animate, did you also install the dmagic experiments?

I'm probably missing something obvious, and this question is also more about Toolbar Controller than about ScienceAlert Realerted, but then ScienceAlert Realerted is the biggest reason I have Toolbar Controller installed (KEI is the other) and I see that linuxgurugamer is the support point for all three....

I don't have the Blitzy toolbar installed, so the Toolbar Controller UI is sort of pointless, but I see no way to get rid of the pointless Toolbar Controller iCon that seems to be a permanent feature of the stock toolbar as long as the controller is installed at all. Takes up valuable space on the toolbar, causing other more useful icons to be shoved down where I need to scroll to get to them (possibly related to my using UI scale, but that seems beside the basic point). There's an option to show it only on the Blitzy toolbar, but it says that option is ignored unless the Blitzy toolbar is installed.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

When you install the Dmagic Science Animate, did you also install the dmagic experiments?

Yes.  I believe that the science animate was installed via CKAN as a suggestion (I don't think it is a dependency) when I installed the DMagic science mod itself.

Sorry to bother you again, @linuxgurugamer, but the latest version seems to have some issues:

1. The experiment display window opens initially on the top left corner of the screen, very small.

2. More serious is that the settings dialog does nothing but a click sound.

This is regardless if I use the mod via Blizzy's or the stock toolbar.

KSP 1.8.1, all mods are current (Toolbar, MM, ...). After reverting back to 1.9.8.4, everything works fine.

Edited by VoidSquid

2 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Sorry to bother you again, @linuxgurugamer, but the latest version seems to have some issues:

1. The experiment display window opens initially on the top left corner of the screen, very small.

2. More serious is that the settings dialog does nothing but a click sound.

This is regardless if I use the mod via Blizzy's or the stock toolbar.

KSP 1.8.1, all mods are current (Toolbar, MM, ...). After reverting back to 1.9.8.4, everything works fine.

I see the problem, and I see the issue.  One of those silly mistakes which happens sometimes.

Will get out an update soon

• 1 month later...

I'm experiencing something weird with science alert where it won't work on the DMagic science items (attempted with magnetometer boom and plasma wave one.) It tells me "can't be done right now" but I can just right click on the boom and make it run science. Log is provided:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o82t14e2vt0uyy6/KSP.log?dl=0

EDIT: Further, I noticed I didn't have the "dmagicanimategeneric" (or something like that, not at my KSP computer at the moment) mod installed, and I thought ooh maybe that's the issue. So I then installed said mod through CKAN, and then it didn't fix the issue.

Edited by Crixomix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.