Show Me Your SR 71 Builds!!!

I recently made a SR 71 Blackbird! I was actually able to land mine without killing Jeb!

SO, after my experience with the cold war era plane, I wanted to see if mine was any good. 

Reply to this with and Image and link to your craft file if you want to share it.

Here's mine:

Jfd3OEt.png       

Click for Craft File

If you want to fly it, the stall speed is around 90-100 m/s and, it tends to yaw right at the 110 m/s mark. It works best in under 20 km. 

Yaw really doesn't work well so I roll then pitch up (remind me what that maneuver is called again).

9 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

Yaw really doesn't work well so I roll then pitch up (remind me what that maneuver is called again).

Standard flying technique? ;)

But to answer properly: it's called a banked turn.

Edited by Vexillar
added term

Mine is only based on a Blackbird, and not intended to be a true replica.  I think it bears a passing resemblance though, and it does fly nicely, so I'm happy with it.  And it's all stock.

Picture and download link can be found in a thread I started on the Exchange forum, along with a couple of other craft that I built to the same Ethos :

Edited by Scarecrow

SR-71 builds eh, time bring out something really...REALLY old.

This one is one of the first things i ever uploaded on the forums, so excuse the terrible grammar. Scratch that, ill just show you the picks instead.

Dunno what the technical specs are, as i never put them up. Oh and i don't have the craft file anymore either, as i never put up that one either. You can thank me from 3 years ago for the lazyness.

Fun fact: this one was the second ever RL aircraft i made a post about, the only crafts before this where the X-Tornado, Tornado-5 and the Boeing SST.

K47dIFL.png

LkRkbSx.png

I used a small paper model of the thing as reference to try and get the thing to look pretty much exact. It's all stock except for the cockpit and the wing-tip parts.

And that's pretty much all the info i can give you about it.

Edited by kapteenipirk
some extra info

Oh what fun! A couple years back, the SR-71 was one of my first attempts at a really high-fidelity reproduction. Time to blow the dust off and give the ol' "SkunkTwerks SR-71 Blackbird" a day in the sun:

aUaiHFL.png

It certainly didn't match the absolute work of art that was @eorin and @Exothermos's SR-71 pure stock build, but looking back on it, I still think my attempt wasn't too shabby for a pure stock, no-overlay (all ratios eyeballed), no construction-mod replica. In retrospect it's a tad too stubby (should be longer nose to tail), but I had so much fun trying to get things right.

hiEUN8l.png

kJxLkDU.png

Looks like as our aerodynamics models have evolved, this old plane had developed a bit of the ol' tendency to lawn-dart. I think I'll do a bit of aerodynamic editing to get it v.1.3+ compatible before I post the craft file here.

-SkunkTwerks

On 6/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, kapteenipirk said:

SR-71 builds eh, time bring out something really...REALLY old.

This one is one of the first things i ever uploaded on the forums, so excuse the terrible grammar. Scratch that, ill just show you the picks instead.

Dunno what the technical specs are, as i never put them up. Oh and i don't have the craft file anymore either, as i never put up that one either. You can thank me from 3 years ago for the lazyness.

Fun fact: this one was the second ever RL aircraft i made a post about, the only crafts before this where the X-Tornado, Tornado-5 and the Boeing SST.

K47dIFL.png

LkRkbSx.png

I used a small paper model of the thing as reference to try and get the thing to look pretty much exact. It's all stock except for the cockpit and the wing-tip parts.

And that's pretty much all the info i can give you about it.

It looks better than mine. This was my first RL build. Second being the F 22 which ended up looking like the wings and elevons were connected.

Edited by MeepTicoMeep

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.