Some opinions

SSTOExtremes

Should KSP make something like Tweak scale a stock feature  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Vote

No Never Nope Nada Nyet!

I would much rather the devs spend time on working on gameplay mechanics that is not accessible to the modding community and making those improvements to the stock game. 

I do think a couple mods should be included in Stock though.  KAC and @HebaruSan's version of a stock dv readout.  But thtat would not be aimed at the PC player, it would be for those poor console players (BUY A PC ALREADY! @GrouchyDevotee ;D) who have no access to mods, and those two are fundamental to a lot of players' games. 

Without the console market, I see little reason for pushing for Squad to incorporate any mod into stock.  They did that a bit back in the alpha days, but those were "Hey, we were going to do that anyways" things, or things that they did do, and mods removed, such as the launch tower. 

Edited by Gargamel

I refuse to vote on "something like" and similarly vague/loaded questions. Please be specific.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:08 PM, SSTOExtremes said:

Guys,i need to know what you think about making mods a stock feature,like tweak scale,BDArmory,KAX and Airplane plus

That^ has nothing to do with a poll, so I'll be happy to oblige with a little bias. Also worth a mention that my opinion on this subject has changed since first playing with installed mods...

~Firstly, lets consider the name of the game: Kerbal Space Program. Space. It isn't a war program, so no, I don't feel like BDA is ever a part of that by default. Sure, I would agree it's fun to blow stuff up, but how does a little ol' missile you can pack on your wing not equate to a tiny little rocket you could've made yourself?? Cannons? PLEASE! Unless it's centered around interplanetary or at least intercontinental warfare AND comes with some antagonist(s) to defend/kill off, I'm not even interested. TBH, that deserves a game unto itself-- oh wait... there are loads of those. Maybe I'll just play them a while to get out the destructive feels so I can get back to work on the next venture of creativity.

~Secondly, consider the nature of the little green kerbals we know and love (in various ways.) The relative size difference between their head and the rest of their body should speak for itself here. Seriously... why are so many so enamored with aesthetics of a mess of planes and mostly phallic-looking contraptions? Oh, scale. xD Right. It not only has to be the biggest, but it also must be the prettiest! :confused: Suit yourselves. It's still not a necessity with a well-thought-out design. In the worst cases, is "work-around" a dirty word or something?

~Last, but certainly not least, the aircraft-specific parts mods. YES. Most definitely, I would agree that this is a part of interplanetary space travel and should be included. The Making History expansion gave no credit to the Wright brothers, Henri Giffard or DaVinci... nobody but CCCP and NASA. More friggin rockets, as if there weren't more rocket parts than I know what to do with already... I digress. The first powered flight was steam-driven, not a propeller, BUT! the vast majority of successful models through history have been/still are propeller-driven. I don't care nearly as much about using them at Kerbin as I do on Eve, Duna or Laythe, but that's on me. Especially with such awesome potential in hybrid electric or completely battery-operated propeller-driven planes as are on the real world market today.

Even if some propellers getting in the part list is all I can agree with being stock from your short list there, there are a great number which you don't bother mentioning which I believe KSP should not be without. I will not bother listing those here though. Mainly because I'm of the mind that only some small part of the mod is truly necessary, or perhaps too niche to be considered. For instance, I've wished for better piloting GUI and more than 10 action groups since I began. Work around that..? Can't. How about some moving parts? Oh sure, you can work around some stock hinges and things, but good luck with your part counts on a craptop like mine... Sadly, the only response I'll likely get to that is not the stuff I need to streamline the game, but instead a list of minimum system requirements.

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Tweakscale maybe, but definitely no BDA. That mod totally goes against the 'peaceful space exploration' image of KSP in my mind. It should stay as a mod so people have the option to use it if they want.

Stock Tweakscale means it is no longer possible to re-create any(non excessively clipped) stock vessel from just a good picture of it.

It also means you lose legitimate design choices like the lower-efficiency ISRU in exchange for a smaller size(everyone will just use a shrunk-down large one) and the various trade-offs for the various engines at different sizes(poodle shrunk to 1.25m is more fuel efficient than terrier, and possibly more powerful as well).

12 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Stock Tweakscale means it is no longer possible to re-create any(non excessively clipped) stock vessel from just a good picture of it.

It also means you lose legitimate design choices like the lower-efficiency ISRU in exchange for a smaller size(everyone will just use a shrunk-down large one) and the various trade-offs for the various engines at different sizes(poodle shrunk to 1.25m is more fuel efficient than terrier, and possibly more powerful as well).

Yeah, true. Now I think about it, tweakscale is one of those things that should stay a mod.

KER should really be stock though.

Did somebody mention consoles?

I've only ever played KSP on a PS4, so, I haven't even heard of most of the mods out there.

Now that the game plays well on console, and is able to run without crashing, I do have a few suggestion for the stock console game.

Scan Sat - KSP has a few scanners that can be challenging to employ, game needs a few more stock awkward parts like a Hubble or James Webb telescope. Perhaps they can help with biome identification or anomaly search.

Hawking Gravity scanner could help with transfer window planning.

Time warp - is needed while doing long burns, and perhaps other times as well.

Alarm clock - of some kind is definitely needed.

Transfer window planner -even if its just a rough guess, the console game needs something along these lines.

Kerb-Net - needs more something... usefulness and or explanation. I'm frankly mystified by it. Console version needs access to a method of biomes identification and charting.

Mech jeb.... - Some of the data already present on the map screen should be available while flying an improperly trimmed launch vehicle. Apoapsis and Periapsis for example. And some of the data on the zoomed in screen should be available in map mode, like how long until a stage burns out for example. I don't want an auto pilot, just access to more of the flight information without having to jump between screens.

I'd love to build and fly more aircraft - so more parts like propellers, cock-pits, and wing shapes would be excellent. But I still need to buy a joystick or flight-yolk.

At least a couple more runways are needed. It is just icky landing an SR-71 in the trees.

Mun bases - more or some, permanent base fixtures like bio-domes, canteenas and recycling facilities. Same goes for space stations. need a reason to go there..

Some more capabilities from the skills department - in terms of Scientist abilities, they should be really good at finding anomilies and new biomes, and telling me about it.

- for Engineers abilities, they should be able to do more in terms of swapping parts, strengthening station connections, fixing things.

- Pilots seem to be well balanced, but I'd have guessed I'd be able to better predict where I'm going to land on Kerbin after a space trip.

Love this game.

Looking for New DLC or Expansion paks.

Tweakscale and/or procedural parts/wings/whatnot should be in the base game, along with something to swap what tanks hold (and swap textures to match).

They should have a nice intuitive interface and the texture matching/stretching should "just work."

In theory, there could be a single inline tank and a single radially attached tank, and the ability to resize them within a range proscribed by tech level.

These should not be left to mods because reasons ;)

On 6/15/2018 at 9:58 PM, JAFO said:

The list you supplied? Not only no, but HELL NO!

KAC and a stock dV readout.. and that's IT.

And Transfer Window Planner. It's not perfect, but it gets you in the ballpark. I never have and never will hold a protractor to the screen to figure out when a transfer window will be!

8 hours ago, SSTOExtremes said:

he said that mods are essential to console players that dont have acess to mods

That is not what I said at all.

I said that KAC and a simplified Dv readout should be stock.   These are two mods that the vast majority players rely on for every game.   It is unfair to our console brethren to limit some basic functionality that really expands the games possibilities. 

Edited by Gargamel

yes,i agree,but 

console players dont have acess to mods,they could have like acess to a mod list on playstation store for example,and then download just like in the PC,but not necessarely on a folder,i just simplified your comment on a wrong way

sorry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.