Fallout 76 & TES VI

General Apocalypse

I don't need to play Fallout 76 to experience post-Apocalyptic West Virginia: It's already a real thing and a real place. It's hard enough to see it whenever I go home to visit family; not sure I care to see whatever abuse BethSoft gives it. (There'll probably be fewer Med-X addicts in the game than in real life though.)

At least Fayette Station survived.

I said this on another forum, but it seems like there is a very significant disconnect between what people are saying about single player and what Bethesda is saying about single player.

People: "We want single player Fallout!" (as in: me + NPCs in our own world; no multiplayer. My own individual gaming experience)

Bethesda: "You can play F76 single player." (as in: you aren't required to play with other people, but the world map will still be full of dozens of other people that share your gaming experience)

These two things are not the same, but Bethesda seems to be trying to make them sound like they are.

Here's my deal. This is my opinion and only applies to me: I play games to get away from other people. To escape from reality for a while. I deal with people all day long and feel like most of them are idiots or at the very least, inconsiderate. I don't want to come home and try to relax by inviting inconsiderate idiots into my gaming experience. That's the antithesis of why I play games in the first place. Fallout is one of my favorite game series. I've loved every one I've played. But F76 has me saying "pass" for the first time ever for a Fallout game. I don't want multiplayer Fallout, and it seems like I'm not alone based on the responses I've seen elsewhere. I don't know what to make of it or what will become of it, but I really am not excited for a Fallout game for the first time ever. And that worries me.

What about Cyberpunk 2077? That looked more interesting than those to me.

Fallout 4 was kind of boring, so I probably won't but 76, at least not until it goes on a >50% off sale, and I've never played an Elder Scrolls Game. If there's a sale on a bundle of the older ones when VI releases I might grab those.

9 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Bethesda: "You can play F76 solo play."

Quite a difference from single player .

All Bethesda's games needed was co-op Diablo II style but instead they decided to be stupid about it. If they give us offline mod with mods and co-op with mods it will be awesome. Otherwise we'll just have to keep smashing KSP with mod hammer and pray to Armstrong for more updates or DLCs.

My characters' lifestyle in Skyrim would violate almost all forum rules at once, and not once. (Thanks for brilliant mods to their authors)
Why share them?
Especially when it has nothing common with me irl.
Especially when I don't associate myself with my character, I'm just a friendly spirit giving her my advices.

Edited by kerbiloid

Best compromise I have seen has Elite Dangerous.

Play in your own instance, invite/join friends, join a somewhat moderated instance of people sharing a common idea of how to play and interact, go public.

Some time ago, on a forum about Elite-type games, there was a discussion about scenario vs fully free playing.
There I've a read a definition which still looks perfect for me. 
The best is the game where the virtual game world lives its own life, and the player's character can take part in it on desire.

(And this doesn't include other players as a necessary part of the world).

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.