MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer question

Bakkerbaard

I think it's about MechJeb, but I'm not posting it there because I'm not sure and I don't think it matters much for this question.

In the VAB I have this label bit in the bottom left, which I think was put there by MechJeb, but I installed that at the same time as KerbEngineer, which I why I'm not sure, but I digress. Again. That label shows some stats, amongst which is the TWR, which I always use to eyeball my contraptions. Snark once taught me that you'll want at least 2 TWR, so I look for at least that, but behind my TWR of 2.00 is another number. I don't know the math (sorry, Snark), but it could be (4.21) or something. The actual numbers don't matter right now.

Okay, so there is an actual question in all this: Those two numbers, do they indicate atmospheric TWR (Vacuum TWR)?

Never mattered much to me before, but I'm now setting up a space station that might also have to travel a bit.

Edited by Bakkerbaard
Added picture link

A screenshot would probably help, but I suspect its a KER window, although I don't have KER installed.  Mechjeb's dV/TWR display has to be turned on in the VAB/SPH, it doesn't just pop up.  And it only becomes available once you have a mechjeb part installed on the craft

Edited by Cavscout74

That's not the KER window, or the MechJeb window.  I think it might actually be a stock feature - I've noticed it as well, and it might be something brought in in KSP 1.4.  (The KER window, should you bring it up, has a button to switch between atmospheric and non-atmospheric modes.)

If you want to see which it is, try a very small probe with a Xenon thruster, or something else that produces essentially no thrust in atmosphere, but produces a moderate amount in space.  Then compare the info to the expected.

(Or bring up the KER window and compare.)

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

That's not the KER window, or the MechJeb window.  I think it might actually be a stock feature - I've noticed it as well, and it might be something brought in in KSP 1.4. 

Nope, that's KER.

8 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Those two numbers, do they indicate atmospheric TWR (Vacuum TWR)?

These numbers are TWR (max TWR), max TWR is calculated with empty tanks. These values are always the same as in your KER window and will change if you switch to "atmosphere" or "no atmosphere".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.