Cant target Kerbal from lunar orbit

Cant target Kerbal from lunar orbit.

So i'm in orber around Kerbals moon and i need to do a Kerbal transfer burn. Odd thing is i cant target Kerbal. Is that normal? Mod issue? I can list Mods be don't have meany ruining.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, that's normal. You can never target Kerbin from the Mun.

If you can make manuever nodes, then that will show you your Kerbin orbit when you are setting up the transfer burn.

9 hours ago, bewing said:

Yes, that's normal. You can never target Kerbin from the Mun.

Wait, is this why I can't target the Sun from anywhere?  The parent SOI is untargetable?   Hmmm.... that explains alot, thought I was just derping it up. 

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'm actually curious: Why would you even want to target the parent SOI? It's not like that you will need a 'closet approach' marker or anything else.

Once wanted to target the Sun before so I could aim solar panels at it automatically, but that's a pretty rare thing to want.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Unless said Kerbal is putting out several bazillion lumens of light, it won't help me charge my panels. 

That's to target Kerbin. To target the Sun, land the targetted kerbal on the Sun instead.

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Unless said Kerbal is putting out several bazillion lumens of light, it won't help me charge my panels. 

Haha. I ended up targeting Moho. Not ideal, but it did guarantee the probe in question always faced the Sun.

And it was purely for rp purposes anyway. As soon as I left the probe it of course went on rails and rotation stopped mattering.

17 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Haha. I ended up targeting Moho. Not ideal, but it did guarantee the probe in question always faced the Sun.

And it was purely for rp purposes anyway. As soon as I left the probe it of course went on rails and rotation stopped mattering. 

Moho will work.  My mother ships are nuclear powered, 4 nuc reactors each putting out 6k EC/sec, but the 3 engines draw 8200 EC/sec each, so I go heavy on the batteries too.  The design of the ship pretty much means I only get 20-30% solar panel exposure in most orientations, and with the centrifuge also blocking the panels at times, it jumps all over the place.  But when I'm not burning the engines, the ship can operate on just solar power, but only if it's pointing at the sun.  So moho should work fine (why didn't I think of that!).

• 5 years later...

I think people in this discussion are confused about what you are asking. Do you want to target the planet Kerbin, or a walking Kerbal on the surface of the Mun? I am finding it impossible to target a walking Kerbal on the surface of Eeloo after destroying the broken craft. I can see him in map view when I zoom in, but when I try to right-click on him, I can only set interact with Eeloo, like to focus on it.

Many of the replies in this post I believe may be irrelevant to your question, which specifically was worded to target a Kerbal. That is the little green guys that run around with EVA packs. Is this what you meant?

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

You actually can target Kerbin from the Mun, you just have to change your perspective. So what do I mean by perspective,  zoom way out, swivel it around so that you are looking at  the Mun from the other side  of Kerbin and then zoom in tell your viewpoint is close to Kerbin and just selected it.  Works really great try it.

Edited by DareDrop