Dust storm on Mars is threatening the Opportunity rover.

Scotius

Bad weather on Mars, folks - and plucky little Opportunity is caught right in the middle of a very, very nasty dust storm. Will its batteries hold out long enough to survive this predicament? Will rover's solar panels continue to work when sand settles on them? Scott Manley did  video on this topic:

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Can't they afford to hire someone who can do a good photoshop? Look at how those wheels are clipping into the ground.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And at something looking like a white building reflected in the solar panels.

Wait...
Oh, ....

Dreadful work I agree.

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Can't they afford to hire someone who can do a good photoshop? Look at how those wheels are clipping into the ground.

I hate it when i stand on sand and my feet clip into the ground.

Girl%20Standing%20in%20Wet%20Beach%20San

Bury-your-Head-in-the-sand_new.jpg

When was that render made, 2003? 2004?

off topic

I think opportunity will have to stay idle for quite a long time so breezes can blow some of the dust off. The dust on it is without a doubt extremely light, and i think even the most martian of breezes can blow it off. But we will have to see.

Power savings has to be balanced with operations, since operations keep the rover warm. Sleep mode for an extended period could be mission ending.

Nonetheless, the temp is coming into summer temps, and the storm has warmed the atmosphere, so they think it can weather storm.

If they lose all battery power, it goes into clock fault mode, and the rover with then try contact at intervals (not knowing what time it is) at times when it has power.

So, to you guys who are buffs or experts on this stuff: why did they send rovers to Mars without a radioisotope generator? That tech is like what . . . 45 year old? Was it just cost?

It seems it was always pretty obvious Mars is a dusty place, and thus solar power was problematic

800px-Curiosity_Self-Portrait_at_'Big_Sk

Maybe also mass/size. Curiosity is a lot bigger than Opportunity and all RTG I ever saw in photos were big (but I never looked much into it)

Spoiler

EFNmIx9NxFoM75lXb6SJlzSzW3AvPllEsettaqkR0r4.jpg?s=6d68d45a4e12fe526b53f6f95971397f

Image result for Radioisotope thermoelectric generator

Image result for Radioisotope thermoelectric generator

EDIT: this one from Apollo 14 ALSEP looks smaller, but it's hard to say in terms of power generation:

Spoiler

1024px-ALSEP_Apollo_14_RTG.jpg

File:SNAP 8DR core asembly.jpg

Edited by VaPaL

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why does this fully mechanised rover not have a simple windshield wiper.

Already answered two posts above yours:

It was designed to operate for 90 days. Long-term maintenance gear was considered pointless.

Which begs the question, why is such complex and expensive hardware expected to last only a few months, while the total mission time from concept and design to data analysis takes many years. I think that both Spirit and Opportunity showed us that there is plenty of science to be done well past the designed lifetime.

Somehow I believe that such expensive projects should be built with as many safeguards as possible for indefinite extension of operation.

This existing approach stinks of planned obsolescence.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.