Dust storm on Mars is threatening the Opportunity rover.

Scotius

From what i know consumer grade panel's degradation rates are between 0.5% and 0.8% per year. I can imagine that what nasa uses is better than that (though probably not by a factor) and by no means a limiting element for the rover.

Btw.: If i read it right, the rover's panels are assumed to have been cleared from dust by wind shortly after the storm. The rover died of old age.

Edited by Green Baron

8 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So hang on. There's sand on the solar panels, correct? Well, what would happen if some wind blew the dust off? Then the solar panels would get light, the rover would power up, and then Opportunity is alive!

Yeah, that was about the course of things ... until last time. But that can all be read up on NASA's mission pages or even Wikipedia.

Edited by Green Baron

29 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So hang on. There's sand on the solar panels, correct? Well, what would happen if some wind blew the dust off? Then the solar panels would get light, the rover would power up, and then Opportunity is alive!

The problem is that battery technology requires maintaining a reasonable temperature, or it bricks itself. Without power to run the heaters, there's no battry left to run the heaters, and it becomes a braindead zombie rover that only walks in the day.

6 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

The problem is that battery technology requires maintaining a reasonable temperature, or it bricks itself. Without power to run the heaters, there's no battry left to run the heaters, and it becomes a braindead zombie rover that only walks in the day.

So we might have an undead robot on Mars. 

Someone in my robotics club programmed their VEX robot to say “my battery is low, and it is getting dark out.” Their robot is also named F-bot, coincidentally enough, although I don’t think constantly playing a beloved rover’s dying message counts as paying respects. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.