Dust storm on Mars is threatening the Opportunity rover.

Scotius

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

Analyzing pictures for fun is fun. I like having a little but of insight on what is going on in the world on another world.

This one was taken yesterday by Curiosity.

RLB_582506671EDR_F0710000RHAZ00311M_.JPG

For comparison, this one was taken 20 'sols' earlier

FLB_580732589EDR_F0701752FHAZ00337M_.JPG

The signal clearly has a little bit of difficulty punching through the dust storm.

That signal is almost certainly going through a ton of ECC (error correcting codes) and is either going through in its entirety or not.  I'd bet that's sand left on the lens.

9 hours ago, wumpus said:

That signal is almost certainly going through a ton of ECC (error correcting codes) and is either going through in its entirety or not.  I'd bet that's sand left on the lens.

Wouldn't it be out of focus if it was on the lens?

15 hours ago, wumpus said:

Possibly just sensor noise due to the low light level.

7 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Wouldn't it be out of focus if it was on the lens?

They are out of focus.  Or at least they probably are.   It's really hard to tell, sand is quite small.   The rest of the photo is in focus, as expected.   It's only if you try to focus on the sand on the lens will the rest of the photo go out of focus, if the f stop is low enough (low in this case is below 50).   A high enough f stop, and the entire pic would be in focus, sand and all. 

5 hours ago, Scotius said:

While Opportunity needs to hunker down and weather the storm, Curiosity keeps going.

I.e. while Opportunity uses an auto-balanced self-sustaining fuel-independent fusion reactor in 1.5 AU away via a semiconductor remote receiver, Curiosity spends the pieces of an artificial fission material.
:(

Edited by kerbiloid

On 6/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, NSEP said:

Analyzing pictures for fun is fun. I like having a little but of insight on what is going on in the world on another world.

This one was taken yesterday by Curiosity.

RLB_582506671EDR_F0710000RHAZ00311M_.JPG

For comparison, this one was taken 20 'sols' earlier

FLB_580732589EDR_F0701752FHAZ00337M_.JPG

The signal clearly has a little bit of difficulty punching through the dust storm.

I think the grainyness might be causes because of a solar storm rather than the dust. This was taken a few hours ago.

RLB_582845105EDR_F0710066RHAZ00341M_.JPGRear Hazcam

FLB_582845069EDR_F0710066FHAZ00341M_.JPGFront Hazcam

So the dust has either settled (wich i kind of doubt) or the sun is blasting the thing with radiation, and that is what causes all the dots. Apparently the dust storm is at its peak right now, according to some news articles.

There is also the chance the rear camera has become bad.

We can clearly see some dust particles that have landed on the camera.

Edited by NSEP

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:43 AM, Xd the great said:

There are winds on Mars, so maybe the rover can have its solar panels cleaned. Maybe, just maybe.

Would it be possible for a rover to use an air compressor to blow dust off the solar panels instead of waiting for a random wind?  Would an air compressor work in such a thin atmosphere?

1 hour ago, KG3 said:

Would it be possible for a rover to use an air compressor to blow dust off the solar panels instead of waiting for a random wind?  Would an air compressor work in such a thin atmosphere?

maybe, but air compressors take up space and tend to be heavy, also they wouldnt help in this case because the dust blocks out most of the sunlight

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.