[1.5] KOOSE mini reentry pod aka escape pod

4 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I was just about to build an escape system for my LKO space station when I remembered your mod, @TiktaalikDreaming! Downloaded.

One problem I have is that I can’t get the KOOSEs to de-nest. I’ve tried the staging sequence, action groups and the right click action menu of both the pods and the nest, but the pods still stay stubbornly stuck to the nest. Am I missing a dependency or just being dense?

I've had lots of stupid errors with getting that working. There's a working set of files on github that isn't yet packed into a release. Which is primarily because I have a new small part I want to sneak into the next release. It should only be a day or two away.

Just now, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I've had lots of stupid errors with getting that working. There's a working set of files on github that isn't yet packed into a release. Which is primarily because I have a new small part I want to sneak into the next release. It should only be a day or two away.

I’m pretty sure my station won’t need the KOOSE pods working properly for a while, so that’s alright. 

Will I need the new part on my station for the de-nesting to be fixed? Or is that a separate thing?

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I’m pretty sure my station won’t need the KOOSE pods working properly for a while, so that’s alright. 

Will I need the new part on my station for the de-nesting to be fixed? Or is that a separate thing?

The new part is just a surface attaching single pod mini nest.

@RealKerbal3x If you are comfortable downloading and installing manually you could grab the build on github.  https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/KOOSE I installed it yesterday from there and everything was working correctly. Looking at the dates it looks like @TiktaalikDreaming hasn't had a chance to break it yet. :)

New part, the Solo Nest is now "in game."

q2pqoSo.png

Updated, packed, updated.

The Github release 1.1.10 is actually one file update behind the SpaceDock 1.1.10, and that's because I forgot to add the new part into the CLS patch, as clearly it should be passable, but not having crew, it would never be auto-passable.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, the Spacedock release is different in many ways, most impressing difference is that Spacedock got .png textures, Github got .dds textures.

Just the emissive textures are png. The compression artifacts shouldn't matter and it saves a giant heap of space. If there are other png files, they might be left over from an older install. I just checked the 1.1.10 zip file and the primary assets are all dds.

This is very cool, I especially like the pod bay where they all fit in neatly around a hub. Below was my poor man's version, best I could do was fit them around a tank or hab using radial docking nodes, and cover the whole thing on launch with a large aerodynamic enclosure. It will be much easier to launch your version :)

I4yPxRY.png

9 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@RealKerbal3x If you are comfortable downloading and installing manually you could grab the build on github.  https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/KOOSE I installed it yesterday from there and everything was working correctly. Looking at the dates it looks like @TiktaalikDreaming hasn't had a chance to break it yet. :)

I installed manually, just off Spacedock. I guess I should grab it off Github when I get the chance.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I installed manually, just off Spacedock. I guess I should grab it off Github when I get the chance.

At the moment they're the same. The Spacedock versions are generally fewer and update less often, but that also (should) make them more reliable.

18 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The KOOSE pod is getting really hot (internally) after the SRB got fired - this can be problematic on reentry with RealHeat and DeadlyReentry - especially on RSS ...

I'll check that out.  The rocket exhaust might be clipping into the craft.
(I resisted the urge to say "Just open a window".  until just now)

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 2:28 PM, Gordon Dry said:

The KOOSE pod is getting really hot (internally) after the SRB got fired - this can be problematic on reentry with RealHeat and DeadlyReentry - especially on RSS ...

I keep meaning to get to this and keep forgetting when I'm anywhere near a pc. But I realised what this will be.

Engine heat in ksp is multiplied by the engine part's mass but in this case, the part is the whole pod. And I added heat in the config as if the part was just the SRB. So the whole pod is heating up as if it was the housing for one giant SRB rather than a pod with some advanced fireworks scale rocket attached.

I shall fix shortly.

Released in all the usual places as 1.1.11

I've also noticed it wasn't marked as 1.5 kompatible.  So, 1.1.11 is OK in 1.5.  Technically, I think just about any part mod should be fine going from 1.4 to 1.5 without any work.  Maybe some mm patching for module issues could theoretically need updating.  But as far as I know there's no part file things that would have been made incompatible.  There's some new options, but the old stuff still all there.

Now, just to go through all the stuff I have and mark it 1.5 on spacedork.

• 3 weeks later...

@TiktaalikDreaming I found I needed to add a line to the part attributes in the config files of the KOOSE Cradle and Solo Cradle to clean up warnings in the log file. There was no fx group defined for the decoupler module. I had no clue what this was until this morning. It adds a puff of smoke when the decoupler fires.

Inserted after heatConductivity. The line itself was copied from one the squad decouplers.

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple

4 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@TiktaalikDreaming I found I needed to add a line to the part attributes in the config files of the KOOSE Cradle and Solo Cradle to clean up warnings in the log file. There was no fx group defined for the decoupler module. I had no clue what this was until this morning. It adds a puff of smoke when the decoupler fires.

Inserted after heatConductivity. The line itself was copied from one the squad decouplers.

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple

Ah, that makes sense. I'll update.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I should mention that a part should not have both RTAntenna and RTAntennaPassive - this is not intended to be done like that and can cause issues.

I've never used remote tech except for when it's part of the realism overhaul package. And I certainly don't claim to have any clue about the config for it. Are you saying the module "ModuleSPUPassive" should be removed?

Or is there maybe something adding a default antenna passive in a first pass that then has the patch adding the regular antenna module after? That would be easily fixed with some module manager before after tags.

The modules come in pairs, so they have to be either

• ModuleRTAntenna
  • Module SPUPassive

or

• ModuleRTAntennaPassive
  • ModuleSPU

but not all 4 together. (or in some weird cases seen on part packs: 3 together or only the Antenna but not the SPU etc.)

I guess the KOOSE pod is not intended to send science data back to KSC, but remote control should be possible, so only these modules are needed:

• ModuleRTAntennaPassive
  • ModuleSPU

The game is locking up on load at KOOSE/Parts/KoosePod/KooSEpod

It worked fine yesterday. I have uninstalled and reinstalled via Spaced Dock and CKAN with the same results. The only difference between my game today and yesterday is that I have updated two mods via CKAN that were already installed. I'm stumped.

Let me know if logs will be useful to you.

Cheers, 

EDIT: I took a look at the logs, it appears to be locking up on the decoupler for the cradle. Here is a snip from the KSP.log

Spoiler

---------

[LOG 09:35:30.709] PartLoader: Part 'KIS/Parts/wrench/part/KIS_wrench' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:35:30.711] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KIS.wrench'
[LOG 09:35:30.741] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KOOSE/Parts/KooseChute/KOOSEparachute'
[LOG 09:35:30.770] PartLoader: Part 'KOOSE/Parts/KooseChute/KOOSEparachute' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 09:35:30.774] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KOOSEparachute'
[LOG 09:35:30.858] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KOOSE/Parts/KooseCradle/KOOSECradle'
[ERR 09:35:30.871] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.872] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.872] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.873] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.874] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.875] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.888] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.888] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.889] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.889] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.890] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.890] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 09:35:30.901] PartLoader: Part 'KOOSE/Parts/KooseCradle/KOOSECradle' has no database record. Creating.
[ERR 09:35:30.904] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.905] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.905] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.906] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 09:35:30.906] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

Edited by Stratickus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.