[1.5] KOOSE mini reentry pod aka escape pod

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

I have no idea how KIS items work, but maybe its possible to use the stock inventory to turn a heatshield/chair combo into something they can fit in their front pocket? 

I think you should also be able to modify a Kerbal’s CoM/CoL since it’s technically just another part, but you might have to write a plug-in to change it depending on the status. (Boarded vs Eva)

Though I admit that may be a bit too much work. ;) 

do KIS jet pack items extend the kerbal itself or do they count as another part?

Nm, you mentioned it all being calculated for just the kerbal. 

I actually think this might be worth investigating - could you do this as basically a stowable command chair that you have to get into once deployed?  Could that help the COL/COM issues?

2 hours ago, Def_por4 said:

Separate deployable escape craft may be bad idea when you've jettisoned from exploding rocket and reentring atmosphere at 3 km/s

Obviously you want to deploy and board *before* you re-enter if possible...

8 hours ago, Jognt said:

I have no idea how KIS items work, but maybe its possible to use the stock inventory to turn a heatshield/chair combo into something they can fit in their front pocket? 

I think you should also be able to modify a Kerbal’s CoM/CoL since it’s technically just another part, but you might have to write a plug-in to change it depending on the status. (Boarded vs Eva)

Though I admit that may be a bit too much work. ;) 

do KIS jet pack items extend the kerbal itself or do they count as another part?

Nm, you mentioned it all being calculated for just the kerbal. 

Well, to be fair, I don't know how KIS inventory items work either.  It does *seem* to behave like a single physics object (the kerbal) though, based off turning on the show aero forces UI option and so on.  And that matches the behaviour in game, ie, it's easy to rotate, even in situations where the aero forces would be extreme.  

At the moment, I'm just looking at abusing the capabilities of someone else's code.  I will likely do an external chair version, which would be all regular parts, with known systems for controlling stability and so on.  It will need it's own rcs type arrangement, as you can't use the kerbal maneuvering system while seated.  But that's not non-cannon for the MOOSE.  I'd still skip the chute and force players to Gagarin it by exiting the chair after safe speeds are achieved.

I'm going back and MOOSE-ifying the EVA KOOSE though.  Before it gets too finished.

Bdx8H55.png6aQegKq.png

We'll see how that behaves.  I should also check what sort of pixel density is typical of equipable inventory items.  I'm assuming more detail per m than craft parts.

Hang on. What is it that you’d like to achieve if we were to ignore constraints. 

I dont know modelling, but I do know my way around ksp modules and a bit of code. 

Im unfamiliar with this Koose, what functionality would you want to mirror in KSP?

What I’m guessing at is this:

• A part that allows reentry for one kerbal;
  • that can be carried in an inventory;
  • that will automagically face the proper reentry orientation;

?

Edited by Jognt

Well the thing was I was able to use a tweaked ballute to replicate the paracone concept, for a given value of working, ( somehow it keeps flipping over the instant it’s no longer in the red hot stage then starts spinning like a frisbee which since it does it as it’s droping below hypersonic or at hypersonic velocity is weird, I suspect a mod conflict)  ,  but getting a model that would inflate and animate properly is kind of beyond me. 

That and now I’m going to shoot auto correct. 

38 minutes ago, DStaal said:

If you scroll to the bottom of the wiki article, the original nasa source document is linked as well (it has a lot more than just the moose in it though).

But, the functions for this are an inventory item that expands to a heat shield. The other moose functions are covered by standard kerbanauts' space suit. Rcs, and parachute.

Later I'll do an external seat version which will need RCS as well.

The last few days I've just been struggling to see if I can achieve directional dynamic stability with the aerodynamics. That's standard for reentry capsules. But, due to the way inventory works in kis, it looks like I can't do this for this version. I will confirm this with some basic brutal tests later, but so far shifting things a bit doesn't shift any centres (mass, lift, drag) from the Kerbal centre. These restrictions should all go away with an external seat version as those follow regular craft behaviour.

3 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

have you looked at the Kerbal (personal) heatshield?

Yep, I've seen that.  A very similar idea, and neatly gets around the directional stability by not having any direction that makes any difference.  When I last checked it did have half a tonne of ablator on it, which seemed a bit extreme.

I meant to have a look, back when I first did the KOOSE mod's first iteration, but I'd never touched anything KIS or KAS and was scared off thinking it might be tricky.  And the same for looking at external seats.  I'd never really managed to use them in game, even when they changed them so you could occupy them during VAB times.  It's just things I never used.  That the external command seat and inventory items were both near perfect ideas to build a MOOSE style thing with never got past the "I don't know how those work" threshold, until recently re-viewing the KOOSE.  And I attribute that to wondering if I could do up a KOOSE t-shirt, because I bought Scott Manley's MOOSE t-shirt. 

I just recently did the "why don't I just try it" thing.  External seats are pretty easy.  KOOSE items aren't particularly tricky either.  But it's all new to me.  I'm not sure just yet which part attributes carry over to an inventory item, even though it uses the PART module.

36 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Yep, I've seen that.  A very similar idea, and neatly gets around the directional stability by not having any direction that makes any difference.  When I last checked it did have half a tonne of ablator on it, which seemed a bit extreme.

I meant to have a look, back when I first did the KOOSE mod's first iteration, but I'd never touched anything KIS or KAS and was scared off thinking it might be tricky.  And the same for looking at external seats.  I'd never really managed to use them in game, even when they changed them so you could occupy them during VAB times.  It's just things I never used.  That the external command seat and inventory items were both near perfect ideas to build a MOOSE style thing with never got past the "I don't know how those work" threshold, until recently re-viewing the KOOSE.  And I attribute that to wondering if I could do up a KOOSE t-shirt, because I bought Scott Manley's MOOSE t-shirt. 

I just recently did the "why don't I just try it" thing.  External seats are pretty easy.  KOOSE items aren't particularly tricky either.  But it's all new to me.  I'm not sure just yet which part attributes carry over to an inventory item, even though it uses the PART module.

exactly what I was thinking. :D

OK, basic shape done.  Until I change it.  I'll be adding details like survival kits and so on, and then doing the UV and texturing.  I need to autoloc the text fields and probably do a bit more tweaking, but so long as you're OK with a bit ugly, it's ready to roll.

gY2Z82h.png

I won't be pushing this version to spacedock yet, but it's available through my github repo, https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/KOOSE/releases/tag/1.2.0

On 6/13/2018 at 7:14 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Well, the intention is climbing into the pod from a main craft or station, then deorbiting. It's an escape capsule, not an EVA platform.

If you need an escape capsule, you're not realistically going to be able to suit up. That takes hours, and assistance. And who's going to assist the last astronaut?

I use it as a  crew delivery and return bus just pop it on the bottom of whatever I'm sending up and it's  a convinent 6 pack. Then dismantle it for parts once you send down it's current load.

And now I need to build and launch an actual 6 pack......

5 hours ago, Rik said:

I kind of like the idea of my Kerbals escaping death in something that vaguely resembles a baked potato.  

+1 :rep:

4 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Crap, likes are back!

Came here to say I'm now tempted to make this look a lot like a baked potato now.

:blink::D

can that be a loaded baked? in a foil wrapper? :P

Well kind of not Quite taking them orbit diving, but you can take up to 7 tourists suborbital in it very reasonably for me that is...

ZbRq1ul.png

Although for what they payed for the 10 min thrill ride they could have gone to Kisneyworld and ridden all the rides and had plenty left over for Keaworld and Kniversal Ktudioes

Edited by [email protected]

Mesh details for the "pod" done.  On the victim's left, from the top down, is a flare, chaff mortar and SOFAR device.

d21jVjZ.png

On the right is a battery and beacon.

6ESA2Y8.png

Classic MOOSE shape still in play, although there's now a "feature" on each side.

xp3i0pE.png

And the front won't close off with a zip.  Seriously, who seals a craft v re-entry with a zip?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.