[1.5] KOOSE mini reentry pod aka escape pod

Currently testing a version that seems to have the capability of becoming an external command seat after deploying via KIS.  I can't seem to get a backpack plus available as seat inventory though.  But if I mark it as non-carryable, then it is available, and apart from not being worn as a backpack, seems to function.  My first go at RCS placement was hilariously bad though, nasal powered.

iiZ6eK4.png

Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to add a parachute.  Parachutes are always separate parts in KSP due to how they function.  So this may always require a Gagarin landing.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

• 2 weeks later...

Personally have been unable to use the "inflatable pod" yet. the RCS thrusters seem to only induce rotation, can't control in the least and about the Gagarin landing, I don't see how you can even exit the pod. Will try again with the default astronaut suit, maybe that messed something up? IDK.

10 hours ago, Sebra said:

Not this Gagarin I hope ;)

May be Kerbal would be able to use own Parachute inside this Seat...

It seems no aerodynamic glider.

Not *that* Gagarin, no.  Although, if a spin starts up, the effect may be similar.

The original plan was a chest mounted parachute pack.  I might have a look at a second KIIS parachute.  You can't activate the kerbanaut's chute when in an external command chair.  

There's a nice write up of the MOOSE as the number 1 in this count down that captures the essential qualities https://www.cracked.com/article_19545_6-terrifying-emergency-escape-pods-that-arent-worth-it.html

Yes. I know Yuriy landed on own parachute.

Is "crush up foam" doable? You may be able to increase impact tolerance. And buoyancy. And viscosity.

I want as well such emergency rocket extinguisher engine as KIS usable tool. ;) Doubt it is possible.

What parameters of EVA Kerbal can KIS object change except appearance?

On 4/7/2020 at 2:07 AM, Sebra said:

What parameters of EVA Kerbal can KIS object change except appearance?

I really have no idea.  This is the first time I've messed with it, and I'm basing my "knowledge" on what does or doesn't function in game.  And what options there are in the config files of course.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, it seems there is something wrong with the dimensions of the KOOSE chute. If attached to the pod the vessel size jumps from 0.6m/1.2m/1.2m to 23m/10.5m/10.5m (H/W/L) which means that you can't use the pod and chute without upgrading the launchpad first.

Edit: Apart from that everything seems to work fine in 1.12.2

Edited by CreepyShadow

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BlueTiger12 said:

I seem to be unable to place the lifeboat into the inventory of a capsule though (1.12.2)

With

@PART[ExternalReEntryPack]:NEEDS[KOOSE]:AFTER[KOOSE]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleCargoPart
    packedVolume = 15
  }
}

within a .cfg file in the GameData folder, i am at least able to put the lifeboat in the inventory of a capsule in the VAB again.
Didn't test, if everything else works though.

Tested a little bit, but either i am too stupid for it, or it doesn't work correctly. I was not able to deploy it, as i don't get any options in the context menu, when i have it on a kerbal.

Edited by BlueTiger12

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a bit late, but I've had some issues with deploying the ELK. I have KIS and everything (fairly new to KIS so no idea how to do most of it) but I don't get anything in the context menu or KIS inventory area that suggests I could inflate it. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a bug? Do need help, Bob is currently burning up with ELK equipped :0.0:

Okay, so I found a thing. I placed it, but now I can't board it. Great!

I GOT IT! Bob's going for a proper reentry now, let's hope... :D

Hm. It appears that bob is overheating with the thing deployed on his back. Ablator is draining, but he's overheating and I have to use his RCS fuel to rotate him to remove heat. He'll run out of RCS fuel before the reentry gets to the worst part, and it's already getting deadly at the weakest area of reentry... 50 KM periapsis from the default 86 or so KM orbit in the set orbit cheat. Seems pretty unsafe!

Okay, problem solved. It doesn't reach a temperature above about 3 quarters, but that caught me off guard there :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.