Standard mod tags

Hello,

this thread is a community effort to define a set of standard tags that modder can use for their released mods. After some reiteration, we can suggest this to see if we can get support from modders to implement it.

I'll update this OP with any great suggestions we can mull out.

How about

• parts
  • planets
  • gui
  • autopilot
  • lifesupport
  • science

I’m pretty sure mod devs already do that?

I mean I think I tagged mine as contracts...

What purpose would this serve anyway? (Provided I’m understanding what you mean) 

The search function already reads through postings to find those keywords, so as long as the mod has a basic description it would find it. Plus we already kinda do this, so I don’t exactly see the point. :/

Sorry. 

Edit: Wait didn’t I just see another post from you about this same thing?

This thread is probably better off in community discussion since its not for the game itself.

Edited by Mark Kerbin

15 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Edit: Wait didn’t I just see another post from you about this same thing? 

A similar post, but more about fleshing out ideas for compartmentalizing mod threads.  With encouragement, @Katten has started the initiative to make a set of standardized tags for the modding community.  The request is that modders would add these tags to their release threads so the threads would be more easily searchable.  This thread is to allow the community to have a voice in deciding what the tags should be.  And of course, with any community based standard, it would be completely optional, but encouraged. 

A secondary benefit would be that since tags show up in the forum list beneath each thread, it will be easier to scan the forum pages and pick out what types of mods you want to look at.  We all know that some mods are labelled after fictional design bureaus, with little info on what they actually are.  

This thread really should be in Mod discussion though. 

16 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

The search function already reads through postings to find those keywords,

I just did a search for Eve lander, and it returned every post with 'eve' in it.  Including anything with Even, Every, Everything, etc.  It also returned every thread that had the word 'lander' in it.   The search function has the ability, though, to limit the searches to tags only.  If we had a tag called "graphics", and you searched for the "graphics" tag only in the mod release forum, then it would only return threads with that tag in the title.  So hopefully we'd get a short list containing things like SVE, Scatterer, etc. 

Forum search engines are notoriously stupid and difficult to work with.  This would help stream line the ability of players to find mods by type. 

So please, suggest more tags if needed.  I think "Graphics" would be on the list. "Utility" should be another for things like KAC, TAC fuel, etc. 

We might end up with a dozen tags, but that should categorize the mods enough to make the forums actually searchable. 

@Mark Kerbin I had initially suggested this here.  Might be what you're remembering.

I think the best way to tag would be to do something that wouldn't ever show up in general conversation.  Should be less confusing to our already super confused search system.

So instead of tagging planets, you would tag planetsMod, modPlanets or ^planets^, etc etc. 

Each dev could also get their own tag, to easily search for all mods by one particular author.

So if I made a planet pack that included new science, I would tag: modPlanets, modScience, authGeonovast.

Edited by Geonovast

3 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Hmm yes. One thing tho.

How would this get implemented, I mean it’s gonna get annoying for the moderators really fast if they need to make tags for every single mod dev. And what happens to the older threads? 

It wouldn't be up to the moderators, they wouldn't have to do a thing.  It would be up to the devs if they choose to opt in. 

17 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

So would this be using the current tagging system or is there going to have to be a new one added in? 

This would be so we could use the default forum search engine to search tags. 

17 hours ago, Geonovast said:

So instead of tagging planets, you would tag planetsMod, modPlanets or ^planets^, etc etc. 

Each dev could also get their own tag, to easily search for all mods by one particular author.

So if I made a planet pack that included new science, I would tag: modPlanets, modScience, authGeonovast.

Possibly.  Seems kinda clunky to me.  One thing to remember, the intent is that the user is searching within the mod release sub forum only.  Of all the forums we have here, this one is the best self organized we have already.  There are very very few non mod threads in that forum.  So any result you get should be only mod threads.  So we might be able to do away with teh mod and auth prefixs.  Although, adding the author tag in some form is a very good idea.   Just don't search for @linuxgurugamer, the search engine might break. 

16 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

CKAN has some support for tagging, although it's only at a database level now and not visible in the GUI. There's a wiki page with suggested tags, but as far as I know these still have not been used yet. It would probably make sense to standardize on the same list:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Suggested-Tags

That's a very good start, mix that with some of our other suggestions, and that is a pretty good list. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.