Post your LANDERS here!

My large & small Mun/Minmus Mushroom 2-stage Lander.  The lower stage is designed to remain behind to act as a surface science station (probe core, batteries, solar panels & antenna + science suite) for future "gather science from surface of...." contracts.   There is also a smaller version using the Pomegranate pod (2nd image).  This one uses a 2.5m launcher, the 3-seater can get to orbit with my Titan launch vehicle. 

jQMtexM.png?2

3-seater version before the above explosion, but after I clicked the "Decouple" button instead of the "Crew Report" button on the Pomegranate pod.  This one had the lower stage stripped because I hadn't intended on leaving it behind.  The rescue lander arrived with 1 snack remaining for 3 crew in this one.

pOgGnUW.png?2

This is my reusable Duna lander.  I have a slightly different version now with different engines, a bit more dV & better science suite.   The improved version has also been split into two variants - one for Duna, one for vacuum-only (so far used at Vall, Ike & Moho).  Only seats 3 though.

sLZ479X.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

35 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I like it a lot! Can you post the craft file?

If your asking about mine, all three are modded designs.  I can take a look maybe later tonight or in the morning &  post them to kerbalx.  Off the top of my head they use at least Fuel Tanks Plus, MOLE & Modular Rocket Systems.   I might be able to cut some of the mods when I look at them.

I had forgotten that I did this a while ago, when I was testing a number of different landers on Minmus to see what I liked working with the most.  A mix of simple designs, all single crew I think.  Most are single stage and I think there is at least one 2-stage lander in there, as well as some that are designed to return to Kerbin, whilst others only need to return to Minmus orbit to rendezvous and dock with a command ship.

land103.png

land101.png

3 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

GREAT! I like them!

Posted all 3, landers only - the launch vehicles all had mod parts & I didn't feel like rebuilding them.   The landers themselves I rebuilt with stock parts as much as I could

Also for your info, the lander dV:

3-seat:  Lower stage: ~1200 m/s, Upper: ~2200 m/s     So way more than you need.

5-seat: Lower: 940 m/s; Upper: 1450 m/s

I didn't make a note of the Quad lander's dV

• 3 weeks later...

OK, if you guys don't mind a "bit" modding, I do have a vessel or two to share.

First off, my Gen. II Lunar Lander, Salamander:

JJicGB2.png

oylg4Sl.png

CEbEgmN.png

The idea was quite simple really, a reusable Exploration/Recon vessel carrying all the necessary equipment and at least 2 crew with 2500+ dV and >1.2 TWR on Mun surface. These stock (albeit slightly scale-upped) radioisotope engines delivered.

Where is the Gen. I you asked? Well... let's say it had a tough landing and the design was proven to be flawed.

Actually Salamander's first task was to resecue the stranded Gen I. crew.

And this one is my new favorite, IPUL-01 call sign "Voltbug".

Compact, ultra-light, durable, elegant, one of a kind. This little fairy is the pinacle of my KSP engineering.

The bulk of its body consists of batteries and capacitor, which enable it to conduct long range "hops" with its four ion engines. The back-mounted Xeon gas tanks gave it a remarkable 4000 dV.

gIhw329.gif

Its revised little brother incoporated robotic parts to allow for larger solar panels and therefore extended propulsion time.

C1YtVmw.gif

9vUnbUe.gif

Voltbug can be safely contained within a standard 3.75m hangar, you can easily carry it to the orbit of any Mun-like moons with low gravity and easily deploy.

As with all successful design, Volt bug was based on a prototype:

Which is actually a rover first designed for a more conventional lunar expedition.

IzyLy75.png

That will be all for my showcase, thank you XD

4 hours ago, solashira said:

And this one is my new favorite, IPUL-01 call sign "Voltbug".

Compact, ultra-light, durable, elegant, one of a kind. This little fairy is the pinacle of my KSP engineering.

The bulk of its body consists of batteries and capacitor, which enable it to conduct long range "hops" with its four ion engines. The back-mounted Xeon gas tanks gave it a remarkable 4000 dV.

gIhw329.gif

Its revised little brother incoporated robotic parts to allow for larger solar panels and therefore extended propulsion time.

C1YtVmw.gif

9vUnbUe.gif

Voltbug can be safely contained within a standard 3.75m hangar, you can easily carry it to the orbit of any Mun-like moons with low gravity and easily deploy.

WHAT MODS DID YOU USE FOR THAT!?!?!?!?!?!? i will download them now and get the craft file, if you are willing to put it on Kerbalx

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

WHAT MODS DID YOU USE FOR THAT!?!?!?!?!?!? i will download them now and get the craft file, if you are willing to put it on Kerbalx

Ummm, now that's also a problem I'm trying to solve myself, I'm migrating from an old 1.30 build to newest 1.45, a lot of parts depend on outdated mods.

However the main structure is quite simple, the cockpit and its base ring was from USI Exploration Pack and ProbesPlus! (A very decent yet often overlooked mod)

The rear compartment was from Universal Storage, obviously.

The capacitors are from Near Future Electrics.

The round body was actually SD-02 Radial Engine Pod from Near Future Spacecraft

The folding mechanism was from Inferno Robotics, heck I'm not sure if it still works on 1.45

The rest are either stock or replaceable.

I'm working on compatible version of my old designs, once I finish updating Voltbug I'll be sure to send you the file.

21 hours ago, solashira said:

Ummm, now that's also a problem I'm trying to solve myself, I'm migrating from an old 1.30 build to newest 1.45, a lot of parts depend on outdated mods.

However the main structure is quite simple, the cockpit and its base ring was from USI Exploration Pack and ProbesPlus! (A very decent yet often overlooked mod)

The rear compartment was from Universal Storage, obviously.

The capacitors are from Near Future Electrics.

The round body was actually SD-02 Radial Engine Pod from Near Future Spacecraft

The folding mechanism was from Inferno Robotics, heck I'm not sure if it still works on 1.45

The rest are either stock or replaceable.

I'm working on compatible version of my old designs, once I finish updating Voltbug I'll be sure to send you the file.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to recreate the awesomeness with MY modset. and see which one flies better! HEHE

1hJ093p.png

TP8nVaQ.png

KVwEfD9.png

8iX2yWJ.png

vac6NQt.png

CQS3qT9.png

0QQptzw.png

This next one was very very difficult to use on 3x duna with surface G increased to 0.376 G (which is what the one above was for, and the other ones on Duna as well, all images on 3x worlds):

TNBsFEj.png

hbWXRwj.png

At least this got down relatively intact, with the payload in one piece and nearly rightside up (but it can't get payload to the surface, and fails as a reusable craft to land payload on the surface):

K3glMjW.png

but often it ended up like how you can imagine that this will:

OgVCX1a.png

Laythe seaplane:

V2qhJCs.png

and another one:

KBzEPpM.png

e7vPP2c.png

A6zfN8m.png

8IIx0qh.png

c6vMjEQ.png

More conventional:

XVouVyR.png

k6o5B8O.png

NVnng7G.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just built my new Mun/Minmus tourist lander. I keep one of these at each of my mun/minmus space stations. Can do several hops on Minmus but requires fairly efficient landing to make it back up from the Mun. carries 6 kerbals, manned or unmanned operation possible, although I always have a pilot on board just incase of a comms blackspot. Stock (ps4).

d8XO1gq.jpg

Here's a three-man lander I made for a tourism contract. Its boosters (jettisoned near the Mun) and immense monopropellant capacity allow the lander to fly to the Mun AND Minmus before returning home. It is recommended you start with the Mun before going to Minmus, as monopropellant will help you more in Minmus orbit (and on Kerbin return trajectory) when you inevitably run out of fuel.

- It also comes with a docking port and a claw, and don't forget the ladders, scientific instruments, and 2 x 2G antennae. I also installed a probe core for when I need to send that thing unoccupied anywhere.

sw0L279.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.