[1.10.0] AnimatedAttachment 2.1.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

• 3 weeks later...

With Breaking Ground, KSP now has built in support for robotics, including surface attachments! VERY NICE!

However, this mod still functions the same as earlier, adding support for surface attachments and simple robotics based on generic animations (cargo bays etc),
as well as control surfaces, nozzles, and any third party mod that somehow animates meshes.

have you tried attaching parts to the BDB launch service towers? I just wanted to put a light at the end of the crew tower walkway to illuminate the capsule but it stayed out there when the walkway retracted. The attempted lift off was hilariously cut short when one of the tail fins hit the light...

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

have you tried attaching parts to the BDB launch service towers? I just wanted to put a light at the end of the crew tower walkway to illuminate the capsule but it stayed out there when the walkway retracted. The attempted lift off was hilariously cut short when one of the tail fins hit the light...

v2.1.4:

* Added support for launch clamps

https://github.com/KSPKatten/AnimatedAttachment/releases/tag/v2.1.4

Was very nice with the foldable lights, as they automatically folded back when staging, for some reason =)

• 6 months later...

I modeled and textured a male and female tether dock and implemented in game only to discover the animated attachment mod doesn't have the ability to move ModuleDockingNode referenceattachnodes or nodeTransformNames. The things move if attached in editor and then launched but not after docking to each other. There is a specific part of the attachment script that reads:

Transform referenceTransform = GetReferenceTransform();

// If this attach node is defined in the cfg, then bail out now, it will not be movable
            if (referenceTransform == null)
            {
                if (debugPeriodic)
                    printf("Skipping cfg based node: %s", stackAttachNode.id);
                return;
            }

And so, I am lost again... :(

Is there any chance of this portion being implemented?

Edited by bcink

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@Katten backward compat to 1.7.3+, or 1.10.0 only? or do we use 2.14 for 1.8.1-1.9.1?

Hey!
I did a quick test for 2.1.5, and saw:
* KSP v1.7.3 - not OK
* KSP v1.8.1 - OK
* KSP v1.9.1 - OK

Edited by Katten

• 4 weeks later...

@KattenCan Animated Attachment be made to work with node-attached parts. Example being the launch rails I'm trying to make. They can be angled by using a deploy limit slider animation, but if the rocket is node-attached to the rail (at the bottom of the engine) then it doesn't move with the rail as the slider is adjusted. If the rocket is surface-attached to the rail itself, then it does move.

Also, I discovered if the rocket has the root part in it (usually being a probe core or pod at the top), then it also doesn't move with the rail. I was wondering why AnimatedAttachment wasn't working with my test rail, but when I rerooted to the launch stand the rail was mounted on, then attached the rocket to the rail, then it did work.  I'd would greatly rather have the rail being attached to the rocket, with the rocket having the root part.

• 1 month later...

I had a problem with the Advanced Grabbing Unit (klaw). As soon as I docked using the grabber, the grabber and the attached part began a slow animation, twisting and passing through each other. The effect looked similar to Free Pivot mode, but at a slower rate, and continued at the same rate unaffected by any ship maneuvers. I confirmed by actually turning on Free Pivot, and then the klaw and attached part became much looser and responded to ship movements.

I found an easy fix. I turned off the animated attachments button on the grabber's part window and then the grabber and grabbed part stopped getting twisted up. It looks animated attachments turns on by default when in VAB.

Animated Attachment 2.1.5. KSP 1.10.1. Restock 1.2.1 modifies the grabber's art; I don't know if that's a factor.

This log file reflects all the mods I'm using. It was copied before I found my easy fix. https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Kzd8KfL4pOWHJqI-vIgPPAoN8heKcLl/view?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:40 AM, AlphaMensae said:

@KattenCan Animated Attachment be made to work with node-attached parts. Example being the launch rails I'm trying to make. They can be angled by using a deploy limit slider animation, but if the rocket is node-attached to the rail (at the bottom of the engine) then it doesn't move with the rail as the slider is adjusted. If the rocket is surface-attached to the rail itself, then it does move.

Also, I discovered if the rocket has the root part in it (usually being a probe core or pod at the top), then it also doesn't move with the rail. I was wondering why AnimatedAttachment wasn't working with my test rail, but when I rerooted to the launch stand the rail was mounted on, then attached the rocket to the rail, then it did work.  I'd would greatly rather have the rail being attached to the rocket, with the rocket having the root part.

Hello!

Generally, nodes can be animated too!

As far as I recall, one problem is, if the node that is being animated is the root that the animating part is itself connected to its parent with, it won't move the parent. If that makes sense =)

• 7 months later...

Just saw this post today, and I have been wanting such mod for a long time, way back in KSP 1.2.2...

I have a few questions. First, there is a feature known as "Same Vessel Interactions", where parts can push each other on the same vessel. Does parts that are attached on other animated parts have the same effect when moved?

Second, Does the engine gimbal animations works as well?

• 2 months later...

A word of warning : this mod will cause all your vessels to suffer from a similar issue as what you can experience with breaking grounds robotics "drift".
To be more clear, it will make the current in-physics deformation permanent :
- Every time you engage timewarp

- When the vessel is saved (ie, every time you quit the flight scene)
This will lead to all vessels parts positions/orientations randomly and permanently shifting every time either of those actions are performed.
Also, contrary to the stock robotics issue that only affect the child parts of robotic parts, it will do that for all parts and all vessels, even if they don't use animated parts.

The issue is here : https://github.com/KSPKatten/AnimatedAttachment/blob/b80b7c2acdfef750a7928805ef5728cdba265d92/AnimatedAttachment/AnimatedAttachment.cs#L858
Nobody should ever call Part.UpdateOrgPosAndRot() outside of the editor for existing parts.

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 4:23 AM, Gotmachine said:

A word of warning : this mod will cause all your vessels to suffer from a similar issue as what you can experience with breaking grounds robotics "drift".
To be more clear, it will make the current in-physics deformation permanent :

Gotmachine, you made some changes in KSP Comm Fixes, regarding the robotic drift...

WOuld that affect/fix/completely conflict with *this* mod?

38 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

WOuld that affect/fix/completely conflict with *this* mod?

No, that won't change anything as far as AnimatedAttachment is concerned, this should be fixed from within this mod.
And I'm not entirely sure about this, but I have some doubts this mod interacts correctly with stock robotics anyway, no matter if KSPCF is involved or not.

Fixing this mod would involve a solution nearly identical to what I implemented to fix the robotic drift issue, but from a quick look at the source code, it probably would have to be rebuilt from scratch with a different approach for its intended purpose.
What this mod is trying to do isn't easy and its implementation is taking too many shortcuts to be really viable IMO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.