[1.10.0] AnimatedAttachment 2.1.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

38 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Katten is all this really supposed to be in the release? Just curious...

Lol, no. Thanks for the report.

v2.0.2
Cleaned out some dlls that were mistakenly included in the release

Edited by Katten

@Katten, this is just awesome; one of the first things that disappointed me when I started making spaceplanes was the inability to put solar cells inside docking bay doors. It just seemed like a waste of prime real estate! Thanks for fixing this, and many many more issues besides!

Edited by JH4C

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Katten to supress the moving parts issue without always having to remember to disable it temporarily.

I think it will create more confusion when things are not working due to not having activated it...

@Katten I guess the people who want to use it remember to enable it.

In most cases the features are even not used, you know?

When I build a launcher for a station part extension I don't use it, for example.
Or better said, the normal rocket building process is not prone to use it.

It's reserved for special purposes.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Katten I guess the people who want to use it remember to enable it.

In most cases the features are even not used, you know?

When I build a launcher for a station part extension I don't use it, for example.
Or better said, the normal rocket building process is not prone to use it.

It's reserved for special purposes.

Hmm, that's true. I'll put the energy into finding an automatic way of dealing with it tho.

@Katten It's even worse, I assembled my station now and sent up the first crew - an engineer went on EVA to attach some KIS/KAS experiments on a surface ... huge fps drop.

I checked the log:
spammed with

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AnimatedAttachment+AttachedPartInfo.GetReferenceTransform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment+AttachedPartInfo.UpdateAttachments (State flightState, Boolean debug, Boolean debugPeriodic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment.UpdateAttachments (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 attachedPartInfos, Boolean debugPeriodic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

All this because I "forgot" to disable AnimatedAttachment on all parts in VAB for all vessels / station extensions I sent up.

Edit:

... and it's even a lot more worse:

Kerbal touched the surface of the vessel, now is stuck like with rubber bands ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Katten It's even worse, I assembled my station now and sent up the first crew - an engineer went on EVA to attach some KIS/KAS experiments on a surface ... huge fps drop.

I checked the log:
spammed with

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AnimatedAttachment+AttachedPartInfo.GetReferenceTransform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment+AttachedPartInfo.UpdateAttachments (State flightState, Boolean debug, Boolean debugPeriodic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment.UpdateAttachments (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 attachedPartInfos, Boolean debugPeriodic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AnimatedAttachment.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

All this because I "forgot" to disable AnimatedAttachment on all parts in VAB for all vessels / station extensions I sent up.

Edit:

... and it's even a lot more worse:

Kerbal touched the surface of the vessel, now is stuck like with rubber bands ...

The activation value is not persistent atm, so it wouldn't have helped. I have not yet had time to test compatibility with KAS, tho it is definitely on the agenda. Hopefully i can test and resolve this soon!

I have added logic that removes the need to manually disable the mod while fine-tuning, and I'm halfway there on KAS compatibility. So things are looking good for a release soon =)

The kerbal getting stuck from touching the vessel doesn't sound like an issue with this mod... I'll try to reproduce it tho.

- Important notice for CKAN users -

Due to a mistake in the version strings, you might have gotten stuck with an outdated version of AnimatedAttachment!

Please check if your current version of AA in CKAN is "v.1.2.2". If it is, click Refresh followed by Reinstall to get the latest version!

Edited by Katten

Just got a chance to play with this a bit - Nice!

Only thing I've found so far is in the OP - under basic usage "ModuleGenericAnimation" - I think that should be "ModuleAnimateGeneric"

Thanks for sharing this - it opens up many possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this from post on IR Next thread. You did not just save my life .. you saved everyone !

Lately i don't have much time for playing KSP (though i am trying to make finish a mod, old and long story...) but can anyone test for compatibility with procedural mods like b9 proc wings and/or procedural parts (tanks ands SRBs) ?

14 hours ago, fatcargo said:

Got this from post on IR Next thread. You did not just save my life .. you saved everyone !

Lately i don't have much time for playing KSP (though i am trying to make finish a mod, old and long story...) but can anyone test for compatibility with procedural mods like b9 proc wings and/or procedural parts (tanks ands SRBs) ?

Thanks!

I dont think that would be an issue, but i dont use them my self. Is there any moving parts in these mods? 

B9 Proc Wings have flaps/ailerons and procedural tanks/SRBs seem not to have anything animated (i tried to look for gimballed engines but found nothing).

What is more important : in SPH/VAB procedural parts change shape and size while editing, does AA capture these events ? Even stock parts with variant switching may pose a challenge (oh and by the way do TweakScaled parts work OK too ?).

It was showcased how various part can be attached and animated on flaps surfaces  B9 PWings popped into my mind.

One other test : do RCS and RCSFX parts properly update their thrust vectors when moved into new positions ? Did'nt see it in yt video...

Another possible issue is with Kerbal Foundries wheels/tracks : few KSP versions back (old KF before unity wheel collider breakdown) i had trouble with KF wheels mounted on IR parts. Back then, KF wheels would in flight scene assume direction/steering on vessel load and after deployment via IR they did not work properly. This time i hope AA deployed KF wheels should not suffer from this (now they have different direction/steering setup).

On 8/17/2018 at 4:17 PM, fatcargo said:

B9 Proc Wings have flaps/ailerons and procedural tanks/SRBs seem not to have anything animated (i tried to look for gimballed engines but found nothing).

What is more important : in SPH/VAB procedural parts change shape and size while editing, does AA capture these events ? Even stock parts with variant switching may pose a challenge (oh and by the way do TweakScaled parts work OK too ?).

It was showcased how various part can be attached and animated on flaps surfaces  B9 PWings popped into my mind.

One other test : do RCS and RCSFX parts properly update their thrust vectors when moved into new positions ? Did'nt see it in yt video...

Another possible issue is with Kerbal Foundries wheels/tracks : few KSP versions back (old KF before unity wheel collider breakdown) i had trouble with KF wheels mounted on IR parts. Back then, KF wheels would in flight scene assume direction/steering on vessel load and after deployment via IR they did not work properly. This time i hope AA deployed KF wheels should not suffer from this (now they have different direction/steering setup).

Alright!

I tested the following situations:
1. Without AA, surface attach a panel, then Tweakscale the size - works ok.
2. With AA, surface attach a panel, then Tweakscale the size - does not work as expected! Position gets offset somehow
3. With AA, Tweakscale the size, then surface attach a panel - looks okey, also during animation

RCS works okey even after animation =)

Regarding wheels, I think you'll have to tune this yourself. KSP stock handles this pretty badly without animations already (from a player perspective) so I don't count on it being better with animations.

I'll see if I can test B9 later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.