[1.10.0] AnimatedAttachment 2.1.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

6 hours ago, ThePixeledFox said:

great looking mod , if only i could find the parts in the game ? ksp version 1.4.5 no expansion , no other mods .

There are no parts; this is a plug-in to allow parts makers to add animation to their parts more easily, or surface-mount parts to existing animated parts. Do be careful doing this though, there can be entertaining and explosive side-effects in some cases!

I'm finding that often I'll launch a craft with a part attached to an animated surface, and although it's well-aligned in the VAB or SPH it goes wildly out of position when placed in the game world. Sometimes this means your attached item is floating 30 meters up in space, other times it can destroy the runway completely... Still, for every time it goes wacky, there's a time it saves me SO much fiddling about that I'm happy to live with the consequences!

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, eberkain said:

Is there a way to make the joints stronger.  I tried making a robot arm with the parts in RocketEmporium and it just wiggles like a wet noodle when I put any weight on the other end. 

Hi! Yes, in stock settings, choose Advanced Tweakables, and you can select the joint strengths in the VAB

On 9/28/2018 at 4:37 PM, ThePixeledFox said:

great looking mod , if only i could find the parts in the game ? ksp version 1.4.5 no expansion , no other mods .

Indeed, no parts in this mod. There are parts in my other mod, Rocket Emporium, that uses AA. =)

• 5 weeks later...

Field testing report with a bug...

Was tinkering with Nertea's new NearFuture Spacecraft pack, and slapped a pair of strakes onto the "skirt" section of the Elara biconic capsule. Upon Launch, they moved around the skirt, and one promptly exploded. The movement persists when I revert to the VAB. Disabling the AnimatedAttachment function promptly clears the issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 6:56 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Field testing report with a bug...

Was tinkering with Nertea's new NearFuture Spacecraft pack, and slapped a pair of strakes onto the "skirt" section of the Elara biconic capsule. Upon Launch, they moved around the skirt, and one promptly exploded. The movement persists when I revert to the VAB. Disabling the AnimatedAttachment function promptly clears the issue.

@Katten, @MaverickSawyer,

I saw something similar when trying out the pre-release of the NFS biconic as well in 1.5.1; elevons on the edge of the skirt getting randomly relocated after vessel loading into flight.  I didn't originally attribute this to AA, but I've recently seen similar effects when attaching USI airbags to the RB-1 capsule.  It didn't seem like I was snapping to the petal attachment nodes (are they on the inner or outer surface?).  In some launches to flight, the air bags would suddenly get relocated in random, asymmetric, locations around the capsule body.  I've had a little better luck so far attaching the airbags on the outside first, then OXSTATs on the inner petal surface seem to grab the airbags, but it may be that I'm just lucking out in not crossing some invisible line.  I'm wondering if there's a common collider-related problem.

Edited by KSPrynk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 2:00 AM, Katten said:

Hmm, that's interesting, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Same thing happens with Paks shuttle. Upon launch, the shuttle doesn't stick to its decoupler. As of the joints can't be connected properly. Craft has nothing that needs AA, but as soon as I remove the mod, the problem is solved. Not sure why this is happening. Not seeing any errors in the logs either.

Edited by damonvv

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, riocrokite said:

hello, superb mod congrats @Katten

Just wondering would it be possible to move IVA with an animation? for now IVA navball updates but IVA view is locked in previous position unless I save and load the game.

Thanks! I haven't been working anything with IVAs so I don't know much about it.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, Gapone said:

Does this support all animated parts or should be manually compatibled with mods?

It works with all animations using the stock generic animation part module, as well as gimbaling engines and control surfaces. 

However, it should work with anything else too that causes a connection node or mesh collider to move - but you'll have to change AnimatedAttachment.cfg so that the AA part module is added to your part.

Edited by Katten

17 hours ago, Katten said:

it should work with anything else too that causes a connection node or mesh collider to move

So there is a config to enable it for deployable antennas and solar panels (dunno who needs this but anyway)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]:NEEDS[AnimatedAttachment] {  %MODULE[AnimatedAttachment] { } }
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna]]:NEEDS[AnimatedAttachment] {  %MODULE[AnimatedAttachment] { } }

p.s. your changelog is messed up

Edited by Gapone

On 2/5/2019 at 11:56 AM, Gapone said:

So there is a config to enable it for deployable antennas and solar panels (dunno who needs this but anyway)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]:NEEDS[AnimatedAttachment] {  %MODULE[AnimatedAttachment] { } }
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna]]:NEEDS[AnimatedAttachment] {  %MODULE[AnimatedAttachment] { } }

p.s. your changelog is messed up

Thanks! I will check out the log..
EDIT: do you mean the log in the thread start? Looks okey to me..

Edited by Katten

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2018 at 7:56 AM, Katten said:

Edit: now supports surface attached parts too

What about the compatibility of surface-attached parts from Third-party mods? Or cargo bays ? 

On 6/28/2018 at 10:43 PM, Katten said:

In stock KSP, wheels create auto-struts that inhibits robotic mods to move them. All auto-struts are now removed by AnimatedAttachment while any animation is running. They are recreated after the animation has stopped

Are the wheels still stable while long animations ?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:02 AM, Katten said:

Players simply use the "Deploy" button or similar to run the animation and any connected sub-part will move with it.

any connected (stock) sub-part ?

If that's true, great work, Katten !

1 hour ago, SeucheAnemone56 said:

What about the compatibility of surface-attached parts from Third-party mods? Or cargo bays ? 

Are the wheels still stable while long animations ?

any connected (stock) sub-part ?

If that's true, great work, Katten !

Hi there!

Surface attachment works on cargo bays (and anything using generic animations), and should work on any third party mod that moves the collision meshes of a model - but you'll need to edit AnimatedAttachment.cfg so that AnimatedAttachment is added to that specific part (or, to ALL parts). This was tested successfully earlier with one of the tank/weapon mods! =)

I don't know if there can be situations during animation that could disturb wheels. Not impossible...

Yes, any connected stock or mod part! Both physics based (tanks etc) and physics-less (antennas, small struts)

SampleReturn.png?raw=true

Edited by Katten

@Katten

I have a bit of a problem with this.  I was trying to use this to put solar panels (OX-STAT) inside a cargo bay, and while it worked, when I got in flight, the solar panels would move 1 way, and then stay there

The part in question is the following, it uses 2 ModuleAnimateGenerics, one for each side, and I was using the stock flat solar panel

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Mk2.5_Spaceplane_Parts/blob/master/GameData/RaginCaucasian/Parts/mk25Fuselage/mk25Fuselage0500_Cargo.cfg

Would this be because the PhysicsSignificance for the solar panel is = 1? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pretty weird issue that I've got no explanation for. When I launch a vessel, the parts move or pile up and stop working, the same happens if I save and load the vessel in VAB. Some cargo bays work flawlessly, some work inconsistently or only some parts of the model while others don't work at all. I've tested with various mods cargo bays and I've no idea what's going on, even copy pasting and editing config files around hasn't proved very helpful. 

Here's an example, with cargo bays from top to bottom being:

0.625m cargo bay from Universal Storage 2, using USAnimateGeneric.

1.25m cargo bay from Ven Part Revamp, using ModuleAnimateGeneric.

MK2 cargo bay from stock, using ModuleAnimateGeneric.

In VAB:

unknown.png?width=334&height=331

All set, no symmetry used anywhere.

On launch:

unknown.png?width=352&height=331

Right away, the middle cargo bay's items have moved, but only one side. They still move though. Everything else is fine. (Sometimes on launch, the top cargo bays items glitch out as well, so this seems to be inconsistent)

On load in VAB:

unknown.png?width=306&height=331

Top cargo bay items have merged into a pile that floats in a random position and they don't move with the bay. Middle bay still broken, while bottom is still perfect.

Here's another example:

unknown.png?width=344&height=330

unknown.png?width=333&height=330

unknown.png?width=326&height=330

I've tested a lot of parts and I've no idea what's wrong. Some Universal Storage 2 bays work fine, some Near Future work fine, others don't and all Rocket Emporium works just fine. Stock seems to work as well. Any ideas? Cause I'm lost.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, Raccoon said:

I've tested a lot of parts and I've no idea what's wrong. Some Universal Storage 2 bays work fine, some Near Future work fine, others don't and all Rocket Emporium works just fine. Stock seems to work as well. Any ideas? Cause I'm lost.

Thanks Raccoon and linuxgurugamer for the bug reports! Hopefully I will get a chance to look at this soon! (very busy work period at the moment)

For the cargo bays I would suspect that the model structure contains something that isn't handled well by AA, maybe some negative scaling or anything else that I wouldn't have foreseen when writing the code.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, doodlemh said:

are there any parts that can make a spinning motor?

Hi!

There are no parts in this mod, but it should be easy to create a part like this for another mod =)

On 5/8/2019 at 3:11 AM, fourfa said:

Can you surface attach to the spinning ore scanner with this mod? I never tried

Happy to oblige! =)

Add the following to the stock file OrbitalScanner.cfg:

MODULE { name = AnimatedAttachment }

Also, in the same file, change

attachRules = 1,1,0,0,0
to
attachRules = 1,1,0,1,0

Edited by Katten

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.