Fastest Juno-powered aircraft

Kvq0fVV.png?1

This challenge is pretty simple. Build a plane powered only by J-20 Juno Basic Jet Engines, and try and get it to the fastest speed possible. There is a manned (or kerballed) leaderboard-- I'll put you on the applicable one depending on your craft.

Rules:

1. No cheats, e.g infinite fuel or hacking gravity.

2. Only Juno engines are allowed, e.g no rocket engines.

3. Stock parts only, however I'll allow a KER chip if you're playing in career.

4. Your attempt must be made on Kerbin, but I'll allow planet packs like GPP if the home planet is identical to Kerbin in gravity and atmosphere.

5. Have fun!!!

There's no real scoring system for this, just submit a screenshot of your aircraft at maximum speed and I'll put you on the leaderboard---make sure I can see the velocity readout though!!!

Here's my entry-- the 'Junissile' to kick things off:

glCtHMu.png

On the runway---it has no landing gear to save weight.

nYfycV0.png

I reached 330 m/s, so almost mach 1. But I'm sure you guys can do much better--good luck :)

Probe:

1. @TheFlyingKerman 820 m/s

2. @qzgy 814 m/s

4. @Thorn_Ike 817 m/s

5. @neistridlar 813 m/s

6. @ZLM-Master 811 m/s

7. @panzerknoef 811 m/s

8. @faketuxedo 765 m/s

9. @lapis 757 m/s

10. @Vanamonde 745 m/s

11. @Dark Lion 711 m/s

12. @Gman_builder 519 m/s

Manned:

1. @swjr-swis 820 m/s

2. @neistridlar 818 m/s

3. @Servo 813 m/s

4. @Andetch 801 m/s

5. @Lisias 797 m/s

6. @Val 777 m/s

7. @GDJ 765 m/s

8. @ZLM-Master 762 m/s

9. @GDJ 743 m/s

10. @FunThomas 719 m/s

11. @Aetharan 630 m/s

12. @Klapaucius 570 m/s

13. @tonimark 340 m/s

14. @RealKerbal3x 330 m/s

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Added faketuxedo to the leaderboard.

So, Vanamondes design seemed to be quite good, but it lacked wings, so I decided to see if I could improve it. It seems I could. 784.1m/s. The craft "splashed down" only seconds after though. Not easy to fly this thing steady enough at this altitude.

nE71ivD.png

The standard intake probe core fuel juno tube seemed pretty good, so I added more junos. 40 more to be exact. Broke the 800 mark. Speed in image is 814.8, 815 if you round up.

upXb9Nk.png

Need a name maybe...... "Can o' Clippin'" seems appropriate.

This is odd. If wings aren't necessary, as I found, then aren't they adding drag rather than helping keep the craft up? In that case, mine should be faster than the winged ones. I did have to fly it with slight pitch-up input to keep it level, though, which slowed it down some. Perhaps that cost the craft more drag than wings would have? 

Just now, Vanamonde said:

This is odd. If wings aren't necessary, as I found, then aren't they adding drag rather than helping keep the craft up? In that case, mine should be faster than the winged ones. I did have to fly it with slight pitch-up input to keep it level, though, which slowed it down some. Perhaps that cost the craft more drag than wings would have? 

Yeah I think your last statement is the case. While building mine I found ditching the big wings actually made the craft slow down as it had to pitch up more to maintain level flight.

7 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

I think a standardized altitude needs to be set for this. Fastest in level flight around x altitude. 

To be honest I think this is just a ‘maximum speed’ challenge, so if your craft has a good altitude that will enable it to get to its top speed then use that altitude.

But do you guys have any other ideas??

P.S @ZLM-Master @neistridlar I only put your best entry on the leaderboard. Is that OK or should I put both of yours on there??

Edited by RealKerbal3x

3Vt9asD.png

Only 2 Junos here. No clipping. Level flight. 712 m/s!

TBH I made this craft "SuperJuno" quite a long time ago in response to another challenge to use only 2 Junos to break the sound barrier. 

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

I think we're approaching the limits of juno engines....

Seconded

Edited by Dark Lion

39 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

To be honest I think this is just a ‘maximum speed’ challenge, so if your craft has a good altitude that will enable it to get to its top speed then use that altitude.

But do you guys have any other ideas??

P.S @ZLM-Master @neistridlar I only put your best entry on the leaderboard. Is that OK or should I put both of yours on there??

Best is good with me. You could have a manned category as well as a probe category. I think the manned one is going to bring out more interesting and varied designs.

21 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Best is good with me. You could have a manned category as well as a probe category. I think the manned one is going to bring out more interesting and varied designs.

Sounds like a good idea....done. Should I put your manned entry on there??

25 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

Seconded

Thirded :P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

So does diving also count or no?...

If it helps, sure. But try not to crash :P

58 minutes ago, ZLM-Master said:

NP ! Best entry is good for me too .

I could try something on the manned leaderboard ;)

EDIT : Only Cockpit or Command seat allowed ?

Use any command pod you want from stock or Making History (I say it's stock because it's made by Squad). If you look at my original entry in the OP, I used the Mk1 Command Pod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.