Fastest Juno-powered aircraft

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Let's see... so... Junos.... Junos... A Juno is a device for pushing things... push things with the Juno... Push a vehicle with a Juno. A vehicle needs a control point. A control point such as an Octo probe core....

Push an Octo probe core with the Juno...

Push an Octo probe core with LOTS of Junos.

Aha! I have a brilliant plan! It involves 152 Junos pushing on an Octo probe core to 1646 m/s in 1 frame. To those of you who say "this isn't a plane." I say "Depends on the definition of a wing. This thing lifting-bodied itself into the ground within a second of the last screenshot.

iImc6IB.png

A few. Milliseconds. Later:
0mxTZ0E.png

Slowed down to subsonic without overheating.
Poe8Npj.png

Edited by Pds314

26 minutes ago, Val said:

I like the out-of the-box thinking :blink:

I tried several times to use a ladder instead because that would give it 8 times the force with the potential for a Kerbal onboard. But alas, Kerbals on ladders are finicky and don't do so well under 26000 G acceleration. 

3 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

from the Juno wiki entry

Peak thrust is at about Mach 1.25 - 1.5. At Mach 2 it drops to about 70%, and then falls off rapidly to 0 by Mach 2.5.

J-20_Juno_Basic_Jet_Engine_velocity_curve.png

Well, só Junos start to choke when the instake airspeed reaches Mach 1.25 (more or less), until the point they get a flame-out. :)

22 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I was agreeing with you, just with more data.

Yep. And I was fixing my argument using your data! :)

(language barrier and context-less communication channels bitten us! Was the use of the "so" the problem? Honest question!)

36 minutes ago, Lisias said:

(language barrier and context-less communication channels bitten us! Was the use of the "so" the problem? Honest question!)

More the overall phrasing. By mostly repeating the last thing you said, I wasn't entirely sure if you misunderstood what I said, or you were being sarcastic, or what.

Well, I decided to give that X1 Stock Mk3D stunt of mine a new shot on KSP 1.8.1

Problem… I lost that crafts on some delete fest, but for luck I had uploaded the Mk3 into KerbalX, so rebuild the stunt was pretty easy.

Taking off with this crap is still a pain in the SAS, the engines flame-out a lot due the lack of air intakes, at bare minimum to minimize drag. Good luck putting her into the air :D (once you manage to do it the first time, it's easier).

Well, I think I remade her exactly as the last time, and on KSP 1.8.1 I managed to get 801 M/S. Craft on KerbalX.

0001.jpg

Unfortunately, I could not splash the thing once the fuel is out- I messed up and splashed too hard!

0003.jpg

A bit more of fuel, and I could try to land it!

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

Apparently KSP 1.8 gave this thing a bit more juice, I reached 799.1 M/S with 246 Fuel left (I had 204 Fuel when I reached 797M/S on my previous entry).

I think I can extract a bit more from this thing, I will try to figure out how.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.