Highest altitude/fastest climb with 1 juno.

With the recent appearance of many juno challenges, I decided to make my own. This challenge has two leaderboards. You can enter in both, or just one.

1. You must sustain the highest altitude possible with 1 juno powered airplane. "Sustain" means staying within 20m of the altitude for 30 seconds. 

2. You must reach a certain altitude as quickly as possible(e.g, time-to-climb). There are several altitude goals for this one. The time is recorded from 100m up.

RULES:

1. Obviously, the only propulsion method allowed is a single juno. No RCS thrusters either. 

2. A video (or some other definite proof) is required. 

3. No mods allowed(except autopilot mods)

3.1. Mods that allowed easier placement of Kerbals in command seats are allowed, but can only be used for that purpose. 

4. No cheats, no hacks, no text editing, and no exploiting bugs/glitches/krakens.

4.1. No launch clamps, or any device that elevates the craft above 100m ASL.

4.2. Launch clamps are tolerated below 100m ASL.

5. Craft must be manned!

6. Have fun!

LEADERBOARD

Sustained altitude:

1. 15250m @CrashyMcCrashFace

2. 15000m @TheFlyingKerman

3. 14889m @Vanamonde

4. 14740m @neistridlar

5. 10000m @Andetch

Time-to-climb

To 2000m: 15s @swjr-swis/@CrashyMcCrashFace

To 5000m: 29s @swjr-swis/ @CrashyMcCrashFace

To 8000m: 43s @CrashyMcCrashFace

To 10000m: 52s @CrashyMcCrashFace

To 15000m: 1:23s @CrashyMcCrashFace

To 20000m

Edited by Guest

On 6/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Andetch said:

Andetch Entry

So I will kick this off - although the OP should really have put the first submission on. @dundun92

2,000M - 1:22

5,000M - 2:59

8,000M - 5:15

10,000M - 6:42

Craft cruises at 10,000M just fine, and comes down for a landing just a-ok. 

https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Juno-High

Great! I know, I should have started this off, but ive been busy lately. 

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

Great! I know, I should have started this off, but ive been busy lately. 

Ya, no worries. Just having a friendly dig ;)

Now, how long until someone knocks me off my perch? I will be impressed if someone can get to 20km with a single Juno as my minimalist craft lacked TWR to keep climbing past 10km. Bigger wings = more lift but lower TWR

Top altitude: 14,740m

2,000M - 1:05

5,000M - 2:16

8,000M - 3:45

10,000M - 5:12

If I spent more time investigating the optimal climb speed and such I think I could do better, also I just realized I carried 7.5 units of mono prop all the way up there.... Maybe I will do a better run tomorrow.

And some tips for @Andetch Try a steady climb, and keep maneuvering to a minimum, that just wastes energy. Also try flying at higher airspeed, especially with high wing loading aircraft like your design that tends to result in faster climb rates.

And here he is to knock me off my perch! I swear someone is following me? I figured that going straight up for the first 2km would be quicker as my design has little tiny wings. When I went for the gentle climb angle it actually was slower.... 
I am glad you had some fun @neistridlar anyway..... Righy - onto the next aero challenge :sticktongue: (FYI - I am coming for you on the speed run, by optimizing my design I have got it 790m/s while keeping it as a plane rather than a capsule with a load of engines)

3 hours ago, Andetch said:

And here he is to knock me off my perch! I swear someone is following me? I figured that going straight up for the first 2km would be quicker as my design has little tiny wings. When I went for the gentle climb angle it actually was slower.... 
I am glad you had some fun @neistridlar anyway..... Righy - onto the next aero challenge :sticktongue: (FYI - I am coming for you on the speed run, by optimizing my design I have got it 790m/s while keeping it as a plane rather than a capsule with a load of engines)

I only beat you cause I love you honey :P.

3 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I only beat you cause I love you honey :P.

"My client claims his "beating" is simply a gesture of love and affection, and being an old fashioned type guy thinks this is more than acceptable behaviour. 

As such, I implore the jury to find my client not guilty of domestic violence charges brought before this court.."

Lol... 

Anyway, shouldn't you be busy reviewing sub-standard aircraft for KEA? Or am I so easy to beat that you can do it in your spare time? (FYI, you have to be the one to review my CaveTech - Nest Rider).

5 minutes ago, Andetch said:

"My client claims his "beating" is simply a gesture of love and affection, and being an old fashioned type guy thinks this is more than acceptable behaviour. 

As such, I implore the jury to find my client not guilty of domestic violence charges brought before this court.."

Lol... 

Anyway, shouldn't you be busy reviewing sub-standard aircraft for KEA? Or am I so easy to beat that you can do it in your spare time? (FYI, you have to be the one to review my CaveTech - Nest Rider).

I should, and I have tried, but for what ever reason it is just really hard to get the words down. (also you may have noticed a little thing in my sig....)

14 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I should, and I have tried, but for what ever reason it is just really hard to get the words down. (also you may have noticed a little thing in my sig....)

I see the WIP parts and the diver thing.... I have not experimented with diving yet on KSP, other than when I smack into the water at hyper-sonic speeds! I am interested in the parts when they're done. I don't envy you having to do all those reviews too! 

1 hour ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

I tried a steep climb using the lightest craft...

And may I congratulate you for also winning the "Understatement of the Thread Award" - that is so steep your craft is more rocket than plane! Shame the resources tab isn't open though, would have liked to see the fuel amount you used in your climb! 

Since it doesn't actually say anywhere that you gotta have wings or anything of that sort, I just skipped out completely on those and went as light as I possibly could.

this is the result, basically a manned missile, nothing more.

Ug1RcyH.jpg

Spoiler

q8meydO.jpg

100m in 4 seconds.

pqa8V7d.jpg

2000m  in 22 seconds, minus the first for seconds gives 18 seconds.

82OhNrl.jpg

5000m in 37 seconds, which is actually 33 seconds.

w9D2p8e.jpg

8000m in 51 seconds, but actually 47 seconds.

BKvZ0Yp.jpg

and 10.000m in under a minute, 57 seconds.

Edited by panzerknoef

On 6/19/2018 at 3:23 PM, panzerknoef said:

Since it doesn't actually say anywhere that you gotta have wings or anything of that sort, I just skipped out completely on those and went as light as I possibly could.

this is the result, basically a manned missile, nothing more.

Ug1RcyH.jpg

Genuine question: how did you load the kerbal without using either a launch clamp or a mod?

I have a tiny winged plane that manages to beat your climb numbers, but the only way I can get it manned and launched properly in my stock game is by using a launch clamp, which is explicitly excluded by rule 4.1, and we're not allowed mods other than autopilots.

9 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Genuine question: how did you load the kerbal without using either a launch clamp or a mod?

I have a tiny winged plane that manages to beat your climb numbers, but the only way I can get it manned and launched properly in my stock game is by using a launch clamp, which is explicitly excluded by rule 4.1, and we're not allowed mods other than autopilots.

The thing just sits on the ground, Kerbal walks up to it and boards the control seat, there's nothing special about this. 

2 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

The thing just sits on the ground, Kerbal walks up to it and boards the control seat, there's nothing special about this.

Hmm, hadn't considered that. Reverting and launching time and again to tweak things, it's a pain the rear to have to separately 'launch' a kerbal in a pod on the launch pad and walk to the runway every time.

I'll save that for the final launch.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Rule 4.1 does not say no launch clamp - as long as your starting altitude is below 100m. You are just not allowed to use it to get some unfair head start.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Hmm, hadn't considered that. Reverting and launching time and again to tweak things, it's a pain the rear to have to separately 'launch' a kerbal in a pod on the launch pad and walk to the runway every time.

I'll save that for the final launch.

You could always use vessel mover to spawn the vessel on the runway. So, launch your command pod with your pilot, leave it on the runway. Go back to the SPH, make the craft. Go back to the pod, use vessel mover to spawn the new climber attempt. Walk kerbal the few metres into the new climber. Maybe use a quicksave too, so the the pod is always sitting on the runway containing your pilot. 

I am sure if you strenuously denied reading this post, no one would catch you. And as long as the craft starts from the ground it wont matter... right? 

7 hours ago, Andetch said:

You could always use vessel mover to spawn the vessel on the runway.

Vessel mover is a mod, I'm guessing? Or is it one of the new DLC things?

Tip is appreciated, but it is moot now: OP has clarified (not when I thought, reading is still a skill) that a launch clamp is allowed below 100m, which allows me to do this and keep my game stock. Now to find a few moments to finish this in between stuff that supposedly has 'higher priority'... :D

Edited by swjr-swis
got my OPs mixed up

6 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Vessel mover is a mod, I'm guessing? Or is it one of the new DLC things?

Tip is appreciated, but it is moot now: OP has clarified that a launch clamp is allowed below 100m, which allows me to do this and keep my game stock. Now to find a few moments to finish this in between stuff that supposedly has 'higher priority'... :D

Yeah, Vessel Mover is a mod. It allows you to a) pick up a vessel and move it somewhere and b) spawn a vessel saved in your VAB/SPH 

Really useful if you're playing with BDArmoury and want to launch a formation of craft at the same time. 

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@dundun92

For those people who wish to have a vessel with an external seat, can they use TakeCommand to launch the vessel with the kerbal ?  As you can see above, there are workarounds, but they are essentially just wasting time and effort.

I get your point. I actually wasn't anticipating command seat entries lol. But I think I will allow it. And, yes, launch clamps are allowed below 100m.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.