KSP Weekly: A Decade of Fermi

SQUAD

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We are also very happy to share with you that coupled with this patch’s release, we’ll be premiering the Official KSP Steam Workshop hub, as well as its in-game integration. We hope that the integration of this platform into the game will facilitate Mission and Craft sharing among KSP players.

Multiplayer mod already shares crafts with other users :/

Edited by Redneck

Zero progress on Bug #17984 == zero interest in 1.4.anything, or buying the DLC. The wait continues.
At this point my faith in Squad ever managing a release free of serious bugs is also zero.

Splash effects: Yawn.
Steam controllers: Don't use it.
Steam workshop: Yay, more stuff for steam users. Yawn.
Fixing game-engine regressions: Apparently too hard for Squad. :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Multiplayer mod already shares crafts with other users :/

Yeah, it does. Just like all the other mods Squad has copied for a quick cash grab, rather than fixing the game.
"Mission and craft sharing"... Meaning "more polish for the DLC". Yawn.

Edited by steve_v

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, it does. Just like all the other mods Squad has copied for a quick cash grab, rather than fixing the game.
"Mission and craft sharing"... Meaning "more polish for the DLC". Yawn.

me personally i dont have much interest in career or science. I have tried career but just didnt get into it. Mission and craft sharing by squad IMO dont really matter when you play multiplayer sandbox (career and science sync is in progress) anyways. Some people like to play alone and stuff. I like to build,fly,test with friends. Just finished a mission. Re-entry, and trajectory mod put me right over the mountains west of KSC and glided right down the centerline of the runway to touchdown/wheel stop! 1uLtSjs.jpg

Me, i just wonder when they are going to release a "Meaningful" update or DLC. The stuff they are putting out are ok but I am not blown away by them. They are just kinda like ehhh, whatever!  From what i hear from other coders though the code that makes KSP go is a horrible nightmare!

Edited by Redneck

53 minutes ago, klesh said:

Its funny how the bug that effects you the most gets top priority in your mind. 

Now that the even nastier exploding landing legs thing is finally sorted, yeah. It does. It's the most serious remaining regression in 1.4.x.
If an important feature you used every time you played the game, such as basic joystick support, was broken by an update and left broken for four patches, I suspect it would be high on your list of priorities too.
Presumably, you don't care because you run Windows.

11 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Me, i just wonder when they are going to release a "Meaningful" update or DLC. The stuff they are putting out are ok but I am not blown away by them.

Likewise. There's nothing in the DLC that I actually want... But I'll pay for it anyway, as a show of support, as soon as the base game is fixed.

i hear ya. KSP does have some issues i agree. But i have learned they really dont care what we say about it they are going to do what suits them otherwise multiplayer would have been introduced natively already. (and you people dont give me that crap about "it wasnt built for multiplayer" excuse! If a mod maker can do it then the people in charge of the source code damm sure could have done it! So i dont want to hear it!)  Im surprised they are actually doing anything with the game at all to be honest

Edited by Redneck

pretty bad though when a mod maker(s) can pull it off but the actual game devs can't? It tells me it is not that they cant...they simply won't! Which if you ask me they could of made a pretty good chunk of change on back in the day when KSP was on top of the world..but hey, what do i know?  

Edited by Redneck

But I must say: while sharing craft through Steam might seem appealing, I'd much rather see T2I offer @katateochi to buy his excellent site https://kerbalx.com/ for a huge pile of money. He's been running it for almost 4 years and currently has 28363 craft online. It's hard to beat that. And besides I don't really feel like uploading 300+ craft of my own, once again.

And let's face it: Valve doesn't need some extra pocket money but the guy who's been hosting our craft is.

Edited by Azimech

52 minutes ago, Azimech said:

But I must say: while sharing craft through Steam might seem appealing, I'd much rather see T2I offer @katateochi to buy his excellent site https://kerbalx.com/ for a huge pile of money. He's been running it for almost 4 years and currently has 28363 craft online. It's hard to beat that. And besides I don't really feel like uploading 300+ craft of my own, once again.

Dont forget about SpaceDock

9 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Dont forget about SpaceDock

Considering the whole collective pants-pooping reaction to T2 buying KSP, and the fear of mods being declared verboten, do you really think the community would react well to handing the keys of the de facto mod repository over to them?

31 minutes ago, razark said:

Considering the whole collective pants-pooping reaction to T2 buying KSP, and the fear of mods being declared verboten, do you really think the community would react well to handing the keys of the de facto mod repository over to them?

i wouldnt. I just thought they should get a mention :wink:

EDIT: me personally i would never put my mod/craft/mission on any site that T2I had their hands in that includes the steam platform. At least not until i see them trying to do something serious with this game and connecting with the community.

Edited by Redneck

50 minutes ago, Redneck said:

EDIT: me personally i would never put my mod/craft/mission on any site that T2I had their hands in that includes the steam platform.

I'm the opposite. If there's a button in the VAB to share the craft to the Steam Workshop, I'm never going back to KerbalX again.

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

Presumably, you don't care because you run Windows.

You get what you pay for I suppose.  I wouldn't run a freebie OS and expect some niche game to cater to your joystick needs. You could always, you know, use a keyboard.

1 hour ago, klesh said:

You get what you pay for I suppose.  I wouldn't run a freebie OS and expect some niche game to cater to your joystick needs. You could always, you know, use a keyboard.

The issue is joysticks on linux worked, and an update broke them.

4 hours ago, klesh said:

If KSP didn't run on GNU/Linux, I would not have bought it in the first place. If Squad is too lazy to fix regressions they introduced, I won't be buying anything from them again.
Apparently, some variation of this bug also affects MacOS users. That ain't free.
Also, bye.

Edited by steve_v

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm the opposite. If there's a button in the VAB to share the craft to the Steam Workshop, I'm never going back to KerbalX again.

Ever tried the mod? You can upload directly from the VAB to KerbalX :-)

And I didn't even know you have a profile there.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Ever tried the mod? You can upload directly from the VAB to KerbalX :-)

And I didn't even know you have a profile there.

No never tried the mod, though now that you mention it I think I knew about it at some time. When it all comes down to it, I don't really like sharing craft files. Mine aren't worth it (to me) and I don't really want to just use someone else's. I've only ever flown one stock plane and one stock rocket, just for the novelty of it, and never loaded anybody else's craft for anything other than helping them fix a problem with it. I may have downloaded an Eve launcher once just to see what one looked like before building m own, but that was years ago and may not have even been from KerbalX.

My KerbalX account is to put craft from YouTube videos up, where someone has specifically asked for it. I think that's happened once :D

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Ever tried the mod? You can upload directly from the VAB to KerbalX

Nifty, eh.

This steam-workshop thing sounds a lot like all the other mods Squad has copied - similar functionality, but worse.
In this case we already have a mod that allows everyone, regardless of OS or purchase type, to share craft. Squad is talking about a system that works only for those who use steam.

Yay for fragmentation. Yay for stealing thunder from the mod community again. Yay for pushing people to another proprietary system, while perfectly good open solutions exist. Yay for Curseforge all over again. /sarcasm.

What we have here is more stuff for those who came late to the party, and not for the loyal backers who bought the game in alpha, before it was even on steam.
I don't really care too much though, as I'll just keep using KerbalX and Spacedock. I'm not remotely interested in Steam, or in lining Valves pockets.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

No never tried the mod, though now that you mention it I think I knew about it at some time. When it all comes down to it, I don't really like sharing craft files. Mine aren't worth it (to me) and I don't really want to just use someone else's. I've only ever flown one stock plane and one stock rocket, just for the novelty of it, and never loaded anybody else's craft for anything other than helping them fix a problem with it. I may have downloaded an Eve launcher once just to see what one looked like before building m own, but that was years ago and may not have even been from KerbalX.

My KerbalX account is to put craft from YouTube videos up, where someone has specifically asked for it. I think that's happened once :D

Yeah there are all kinds of reasons to share/not share stuff. I myself am a heavy user, third uploader overall with 329 craft.

I have a bit mixed feelings about the viable use of both Steam cloud and mission/craft sharing through the Steam workshop.

Definately it sounds good, but if I look to myself, I tend to copy KSP out of the Steam directory because I play modded and I don't want Steam to auto-update and wreck my installs. I presume that I'm not the only one copying KSP out of the Steam directory because of this reason. For Vanilla Steam players the options of adding Steam Workshop and cloud saving it should work great, but I'd rather have an impemetation that doesn't involve Steam so you reach a broader playerbase. But I can understand that would not be easily implemented or maintainable .

I actually do add the 'out of Steam copied' KSP back into Steam as an 'non-steam' game so I can use Steam's in-house streaming function to stream KSP to my laptop, but to my understanding that sadly wouldn't allow me to use either Steam Cloudsave or the Workshop. 

TL;DR, I think this implemetation doesn't really work if you like to mod your KSP install, and therefore even a fair share of Steam bought KSP players won't be able to use these functions. 

Edited by LoSBoL

3 hours ago, Wallygator said:

So... yet another release with minimal content. I applaud the bug fixes and taking advantage of Steam workshop, but at some point someone must consider additional content- things to do, science revamp, new worlds...

I mean, it is a minor patch.  Can't expect to much.  Honestly, I just want them to fix the FX, squash a few more bugs, and stick a fork in it.

What really scares me is Squad releasing a major update, and T2 ending development before Squad can finish the minor patches needed to fix the game post update.

8 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean, it is a minor patch.  Can't expect to much.  Honestly, I just want them to fix the FX, squash a few more bugs, and stick a fork in it.

What really scares me is Squad releasing a major update, and T2 ending development before Squad can finish the minor patches needed to fix the game post update.

None of us know the details in the agreements that Take2 made with SQUAD concerning the end terms of the development contract. Of course there is a factor of uncertainty, but it really doesn't make sense to me for Take2 to create a new label (Private Division) in december 2017 for publishing and encouraging Indie type development and then all of a sudden after that pull the plug on KSP's development by SQUAD, 1.4.x and MH is the first published KSP versions under the flag of Take2. I don't think your concerns are justified, at least not yet.
And even when a scenario like that would happen a year, or a year of 2 from now, you can always stick a fork in a bugfree version that suits you best along the way.
I'm pretty happy at how KSP is looking right now, and with a few more bugfixes it can only get better. So everything that comes extra in development is just icing on the cake to me, and I do love icing, so I'd like them to keep up their good work. :)

Edited by LoSBoL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.