KSP Weekly: A Decade of Fermi

SQUAD

I bought KSP on Steam (not the DLC which I have free from KSP store and install on top of the Steam install) and am unhappy ish with the introduction of workshop.  Make it so GOG users/KSP store legacy owners can download the mods as well (and for those like me, download stuff that according to steam we don't own the DLC to use).  I would be much happier using CKAN to manage my mods like I am now.  Craft files are shared but not via CKAN-you-tubers put links to their stuff in video descriptions.  Just make workshop open to all KSP owners and I might be happy.  Squad is trying to fix something that isn't broken-putting mods on Steam when all users have CKAN for mods which installs all dependencies and recommends mods to be used with some.

14 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

it really doesn't make sense to me for Take2 to create a new label (Private Division) in december 2017 for publishing and encouraging Indie type development and then all of a sudden after that pull the plug on KSP's development

Unless Take Two bought KSP for the possible massive profits of a sequel, and not the minimal profits of DLC and the remaining long tail of KSP1.  All we can do is speculate.

14 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

you can always stick a fork in a bugfree version that suits you best along the way.

Sure.  I can do that now.  Any future purchasers can not.

38 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Unless Take Two bought KSP for the possible massive profits of a sequel, and not the minimal profits of DLC and the remaining long tail of KSP1.  All we can do is speculate.

Sure.  I can do that now.  Any future purchasers can not.

You are right, all we can do is speculate and/or make assumptions.  Considering the amount Take2 bought the IP for, they probably will do something with it, but that would be another assumption.

Why couldn't future purchases stick a fork in an earlier version? On Steam I can roll back to 1.05 if I wanted to? Is that not possible when you purchase on the official Kerbal Space Program site?

I think the frustration for me is that I bought this game so I could build rockets and fly space missions. I didn't buy it to build missions to share with others. I didn't buy it to share my designs or use other people's designs. 

Now, the "building and flying rocket" rocket parts continue to be buggy while it seems like the Squad dev team is spending all their time on things that are off course from the core game. I think it's all great to add new capabilities but keeping the core game healthy and bug-free should be priority one. 

The DLC rocket parts had me really excited, but it's been 3 months and there are still really simple bugs that they haven't bothered to squash - seriously, it take a few lines of code to fix the Korolev Cross issue. A player actually wrote and submitted the fix months ago. Why the heck isn't this in the game yet? 

TL:DR fix what I've already paid for before you try to sell me more stuff. (I guess this is the problem though...I've already paid for it, so my opinion may not even be relevant to Squad/T2)

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

TL:DR fix what I've already paid for before you try to sell me more stuff.

There are plenty of bugs that will never gets fixed, because the game sells quite well with them not being fixed.

I've learned to deal with it and have already implemented a slalom-like style of playing the game by carefully avoiding all of the open ends and/or examples of sloppy or guess-driven coding :-)

On 6/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, Azimech said:

It would be fantastic if these issues can be looked into.

This one affects all of my 100+ published vehicles: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19231

And this affects about 20% of them, making them impossible to use (eyesore) in KSP 1.4.x: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19232

Thanks for the reports Azimech. I'd like to mention that both of them lack reproduction steps and expected result sections, those are necessary when a QA manager picks outstanding issues from the bug tracker.

Usually a bug report, which is easy to understand and work with, should contain:

1. bug description
  2. reproduction steps
  3. expected result
  4. actual result
  5. screenshots (preferably with annotation)
  6. savefile / craft file / output_log.txt (depending on the nature of the bug)

Plus, as far as I know wheels don't like interacting with each other, clipping one wheel into another is a recipe for trouble. KSP uses a modified wheel script from Vehicle Physic Pro (I could be totally wrong about it, I recollect a mention that they were working with one of the Unity wheels script devs at that time) which came into effect when we saw the Traction and Friction control sliders. It has its own issues, but I doubt devs will ever abandon it in favor of the old Unity stock wheel script.

Edited by Enceos

16 minutes ago, Enceos said:

Thanks for the reports Azimech. I'd like to mention that both of them lack reproduction steps and expected result sections, those are necessary when a QA manager picks outstanding issues from the bug tracker.

Plus, as far as I know wheels don't like interacting with each other, clipping one wheel into another is a recipe for trouble. KSP uses a modified wheel script from Vehicle Physic Pro (I could be totally wrong about it, I recollect a mention that they were working with one of the Unity wheels script devs at that time) which came into effect when we saw the Traction and Friction control sliders. It has its own issues, but I doubt devs will ever abandon it in favor of the old Unity stock wheel script.

Okay,  I need to work on the reproduction & expected result sections. But to me it's unclear how I should proceed. Any help would be appreciated (PM?)

But I've been clipping wheels together ever since 1.2 and it always worked fine. Clipping is no problem otherwise I wouldn't be able to publish 50+ vehicles using it. There are examples like the F1 2017 you can try which doesn't has this problem: no collider near the upper side of the wheel. The transition from 1.3.1 to 1.4.0 (the new Unity version) created the problems. And the fun part is: we've seen it before. So my theory is that during the transition some settings weren't copied while they were copied the last time.

The base friction settings is just a simple oversight OR Unity changed the base settings in Vehicle Physic Pro. In any case, it affects 100+ of my vehicles but it probably affects tens of thousands vehicles from users all over the planet.

Edited by Azimech

On 6/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, SQUAD said:
tumblr_inline_padlxxDAe01rr2wit_540.png

BlitWorks, has also been very busy with the upcoming patch for KSP Enhanced Edition. We’ve been regularly receiving builds filled with improvements and bug fixes that will surely please console players. In the latest build, various bugs were fixed, including one that took players to a non-functional KSC screen when they selected “Recover Vessel” during flight Training missions. Similarly, a bug that caused the overlapping of menus when a flag was changed from the Space Center was mercilessly squashed.  On top of that, and as suggested by the community, now you’ll be able to disable/enable trimming from your controls.

Are there plans to translate the game into Spanish? Good day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.