Between the gravity wells of Kerbin in the mun?

Cloakedwand72

What's the altitude the vary edge of the orbit of the Mun when you leave Muns orbit also what's the absolute highest orbit around Kerbin? I want to do a L1 type station & I also want to do a binary thing but with space stations orbiting the Mun binary style is that efficient/viable? 

You can find this information on the Wiki. For Mun, https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

However, you cannot do an L1 station. KSP does not model N-body systems so your ship will either orbit Kerbin ignoring Mun, or orbit Mun ignoring Kerbin.

You could look into Principia, it is pretty big rewrite of the orbital code to do N-body systems (and many other things). I've only played with it a little but in it you can do Lagrange points.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You can find this information on the Wiki. For Mun, https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

However, you cannot do an L1 station. KSP does not model N-body systems so your ship will either orbit Kerbin ignoring Mun, or orbit Mun ignoring Kerbin.

You could look into Principia, it is pretty big rewrite of the orbital code to do N-body systems (and many other things). I've only played with it a little but in it you can do Lagrange points.

Does pricipia work with kerbalisim? Also does it kill a laptop even a pretty good one with good ram & a good GPU?

20 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Does pricipia work with kerbalisim? Also does it kill a laptop even a pretty good one with good ram & a good GPU?

No clue about compatibility. It worked fine on my (gaming) laptop.

Note you lose some things like maneuver nodes. They have an alternative but it's a bit difficult to use for my taste. For all people complain about stock maneuver nodes, they are pretty easy to use.

Edited by 5thHorseman

The devs should keep patched conics but add a pseudo lagrange point.  If you are in the point and traveling slow enough, you can click on your command module and lock onto the point.

4 hours ago, DAL59 said:

The devs should keep patched conics but add a pseudo lagrange point.  If you are in the point and traveling slow enough, you can click on your command module and lock onto the point.

At the very least, something to add more gameplay mechanics like this. 

Well there isn't any Lagrange point, but you could place something in orbit right in front or behind the Mun (outside of its SOI ofcourse) two of them should cover nearly 100% of surface in terms of connection.

Lagrange points are only interesting in the real world for our Moon thanks to the instability of most low orbits around it. In KSP, there's no instability. So you can just get a station high above the Mun and it'll have roughly the same effect.

Well, ignoring L1 and L2, you can do psuedo L3, L4, and L5 but simply matching the mun's orbit. IRL L3 is unstable and needs small corrections to remain there, whereas a pseudo-L3 is neutrally stable, as are psuedo L4 and L5: which means unless you get it perfect they will slowly drift out. 

So for psuedo L4 and pseudo L5, which are stable, I just get in position, and then edit the orbit parameters to have exactly the same SMA, so that they remain in position and don't drift out.

For addiing planetary bodies, 2 with exactly the same SMA will mess up the sentinel camera's asteroid mapping, so I place celestial bodies at the L5 position, with an SMA 0.1 meters greater than the larger body. The drift is far too little to notice even over centuries of KSP time (and by doing it at L5, they would have to drift 300 degreesrelative to each other to collide, compared to 60 degrees if placed at L4... alternately you can do L4 and have the body have an SMA 0.1 meters less than the primary body)

Edited by KerikBalm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.