Hayabusa 2 on its way back to earth

insert_name

30 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

More clear photo.

Qh3OvZz.png

GASP!!!!! HERESY!!!!  :D

My first thought was, "Hey! How is the sand standing upright? Shouldn't it fall..O wait, theres a stone underneath.."  :D

IN the one article on the BBC I was reading, I think it stated the target is in a retrograde solar orbit?  They kinda glossed over that fact, but to me, that would not make this an ideal target.  Have I been misinformed? 

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

IN the one article on the BBC I was reading, I think it stated the target is in a retrograde solar orbit?  They kinda glossed over that fact, but to me, that would not make this an ideal target.  Have I been misinformed? 

It is rotating retrograde, not orbiting

More images released, boulders are now visible

fig20180621-2.png

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

BTW, are there any known objects in retrograde solar orbit?

There's that one zipping by Jupiter in a resonanse orbit. It was likely captured soon after the solar system had formed. Scott Manley made a video about it.

Here’s a nice article about Hayabusa 2 (and Osiris-Rex as well). I never knew how closely the teams for the two spacecrafts were working together, and I can’t wait to see what cool discoveries Hayabusa 2 is able to uncover in the next two months.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/06/20/asteroid-ryugu-revealed-by-approaching-japanese-spacecraft/

Edited by ProtoJeb21

13 hours ago, sh1pman said:

BTW, are there any known objects in retrograde solar orbit?

Halley's Comet is probably the most famous object that revolves around the Sun in a retrograde orbit.

Edited by Brotoro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.