Hayabusa 2 on its way back to earth

insert_name

16 hours ago, insert_name said:

It is rotating retrograde, not orbiting

Well that's a HUGE difference.   I was trying to figure out why they would go there, and how.    Do we even have any rockets (et al) capable of a retrograde solar orbit?

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Well that's a HUGE difference.   I was trying to figure out why they would go there, and how.    Do we even have any rockets (et al) capable of a retrograde solar orbit?

Doubt it. Solar polar orbit with a gravity assist from Jupiter is certainly possible though. Maybe it would be possible to go from polar to retrograde, but that would take a lot of time. Somebody should try that in KSP.

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

No, but we have a Jupiter. If you swung really close you could probably get into a highly elliptical sun dive, the trouble is getting a sun dive that's remotely close to whatever comet you're trying to reach.

This is a very interesting mission because it has a lot of deployables.  It carries the return capsule, 4 rovers, a detachable anti-tank round, and a detachable camera(so it can move out of the way of the debris).  

Let me start by making clear that Hayabusa is an amazing mission and that I do expect to see absolutely stunning imagery from this mission.

However, "clear terrain image" a blob a dozen pixels wide is not.

"First images" or "Exciting first images;" yes.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Let me start by making clear that Hayabusa is an amazing mission and that I do expect to see absolutely stunning imagery from this mission.

However, "clear terrain image" a blob a dozen pixels wide is not.

As this cubic Minecraft asteroid is made of cubes, these "pixels" are those cubes.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, DAL59 said:

It carries the return capsule, 4 rovers, a detachable anti-tank round

At least, will they first suggest to surrender?

Edited by kerbiloid

On 6/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, Wjolcz said:

Doubt it. Solar polar orbit with a gravity assist from Jupiter is certainly possible though. Maybe it would be possible to go from polar to retrograde, but that would take a lot of time. Somebody should try that in KSP.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:26 AM, cubinator said:

No, but we have a Jupiter. If you swung really close you could probably get into a highly elliptical sun dive, the trouble is getting a sun dive that's remotely close to whatever comet you're trying to reach.

Yeah, I figured a Jool Jupiter slingshot would be required, I just didn't know if we had any wessel capable of doing this solo. 

Spoiler

It's the door of Ryuguzilla lair.
They'll drop four rovers which will be  running around and roaring.
When Ryuguzilla gets her head out of the door to look what happens, they'll shoot an impactor right into forehead.

(Don't worry, these beasts have strong skulls, nothing will happen but just a bump on the head)

An orbiter with webcam will be flying around and make selfie video with Ryuguzilla.

Spoiler

300px-SpaceCore.png

Later somebody will make an anime.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Very cool! I like seeing the lumpiness of the asteroid as a whole and the rocks scattered on its surface.

yeah, it was also useful in that i hadnt seen that crater just south of the equator towards the east before

fig2.jpg

That thing on the north pole looks like a solid rock. Also, is it me or does the equatorial ridge look a bit brighter than the rest? Maybe it's just how the light reflects off of it.

Probably just light. And yeah, both poles might be made of big chunk of rocks. Probably smaller lumps of rubble got shifted by rotation towards the equator early on, while bigger boulders resisted the weak inertial forces and remained in place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.