[1.12.x] MemGraph Updated with Stutter Reduction

linuxgurugamer

51 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamer In the HeapPadder.version file the mod name is "MemGraph" instead of HeapPadder. This causes KSP-AVC to report the wrong mod name. 

Thanks, will fix asap

New release, 0.0.1.4

• Added InstallChecker
  • Added default file initialization to the UpdateFromConfig() in case the original file is missing
  • Updated message when invalid line found in config file
  • Fixed .version file with correct name

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/HeapPadder/releases/tag/0.0.1.4

Edited by linuxgurugamer

For all, I've started a new thread for the HeapPadder here:

There will be a simultaneous release of Memgraph when I do the full release for HeapPadder;  the change will be that Memgraph will not pad the heap at all if HeapPadder is installed

New release, 1.1.3

• Added InstallChecker
  • Added check for HeapPadder, if installed, will not pad heap
  • Adjusts help window if HeapPadder is installed to remove the padding keys

This is mainly a maintenance release.  HeapPadder is a new mod which does the heap padding of this without the graphics part.  When it's installed the heap padding code in Memgraph will be disabled.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you both @Padishar for creating and @linuxgurugamer for maintaining this awesome creation!

A long time ago I was keeping it installed but I had a very old comp with 8 gigs of RAM. Never had any significant performance boost but meh my comp was really old (DDR 2, Xeon 5460 (quad core generation)) so I never expected much from both KSP and MemGraph.

Now I have new hardware and so I gave it a try again.
After a few attempts, I have finally set it up: with heap padding of 8192* it greatly boosts KSP performance by minimizing GC stuttering. Before it literally happened every few seconds for, well, a few seconds. Like I got a 5sec freeze every 5sec. Now it only happens every 30 or 60 seconds.

So now my setup with over 100 mods and a huge base is much more playable!

Thank you guys. KSP Community is freaking awesome!

* for 32 gigs onboard, a 16 gig heap setup crashes the game. Will experiment more. 12 could probably be ok.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey @linuxgurugamer,

Yesterday I made a fresh KSP 1.8.1 installation, added my mods, works fine so far. Twice though after about two hours playtime KSP crashed with "GC_malloc_uncollectable" as per the crash dump. Never happened with KSP 1.7.3 or any earlier version. Now I'm asking myself if this mod could help here? My rig has 32 GB RAM, I'm speculating if this amount is kind of overstraining the garbage collection, could you give me your opinion?

4 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Hey @linuxgurugamer,

Yesterday I made a fresh KSP 1.8.1 installation, added my mods, works fine so far. Twice though after about two hours playtime KSP crashed with "GC_malloc_uncollectable" as per the crash dump. Never happened with KSP 1.7.3 or any earlier version. Now I'm asking myself if this mod could help here? My rig has 32 GB RAM, I'm speculating if this amount is kind of overstraining the garbage collection, could you give me your opinion?

Try the Heappadder mod

Update 2:

Since installing Heappadder, not even a single crash, neither with 1.7.3, nor with 1.8.1.

I wish SQAUD would make this "mod" (bugfix, actually) part of the core game, imo it would be their job to fix such issues, not the job of fellow modders like @linuxgurugamer

Thanks again, LGG, that I can play now as I like to :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

I wish SQAUD would make this "mod" (bugfix, actually) part of the core game...

Have you actually tried playing KSP 1.8.x without those mods? Garbage Collection was one of the areas changed with the Unity update. Granted, I don't really play KSP and when I do I'm running it fairly lean in terms of mods, just a few for the things I'm testing. I've noticed even in this state, the game no longer hitches like it used to due to the new GC method already in stock.

1 minute ago, Manwith Noname said:

Have you actually tried playing KSP 1.8.x without those mods?

I did, yes. Fresh install. Added several of "my" mods, all updated to 1.8.x. Result: Crash every other hour, error message "GC_malloc_uncollectable" as per the crash.dmp

Only thanks to LGG's mod, I can now play w/o hassles :) 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, igdegoo said:

will this make my ksp use less ram cause it freezes at the end of loading screen which apparently means not enough ram

How long does it freeze for?

If just a few seconds, right when the main menu animates up, it could be Filter Extensions.... It throws a couple dozen errors for me at that time... vOv

On 3/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Stone Blue said:

How long does it freeze for?

If just a few seconds, right when the main menu animates up, it could be Filter Extensions.... It throws a couple dozen errors for me at that time... vOv

actually i do get this now, its like it freezes for up to 5 or 10 minutes i havent counted

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 5:50 AM, Cheesecake said:

-->[1.9.x]<-- MemGraph Updated with Stutter Reduction

Yes, it does.

i may have forgotten to edit it out since i found that it does two seconds later lol

also, i increasced the total number to 8196, i have 40GB of ram, 20 GB is usually available. it works very well, viewing the graph shows a very consistent pattern, and almost no suttering!

just wondering, does having more ships in flight make cleanups happen more often?

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...