More/Better Rover Parts

What next?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which types of parts would you like to see in vanilla KSP?

• Wheels
    • Bodies/Structures
    • Scientific Instruments
    • Landing Gear
    • Parachutes/Retro-Rockets/Some other form of delivery system

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2019 at 05:00 AM

Hi all,

The following post is related to suggestions regarding more/better rover ideas.

I have been wanting to design rover in Kerbal Space Program ever since I heard of it (which was before I even purchased it). I see now that it is very hard to create rovers in KSP. I can build better rovers now, but when I was a beginner trying to figure out how to get to Duna with a rover name Kuriosity, I found out quite quickly that building a rover in KSP is extremely difficult. I do understand that there is the Probodobodyne RoveMate, but it is still hard to build rovers. I would really value a tutorial implemented in a further update that walks a new user through making a rover. I understand that with the Making History Expansion that Missions can be downloaded, but not everybody has the DLC required to use the Missions. And although there are mods made by the Community (Some especially good ones from SQUAD member RoverDude ;)), some people like to use a stock KSP.Perhaps some new rover parts can be added alongside a new tutorial?

Thank you for considering this,

Skywalket

Kerbal Enthusiast and Elon fan

Edited by Skywalket

Just now, GrouchyDevotee said:

The build process for rovers is somewhat "difficult" for console players...

I'd love to be able to build better rovers.

Have you tried building them in the SPH, and then importing them into the VAB?  I've found the symmetries to be much easier to work with in the SPH, as a rover is more like a wingless plane that never flies, rather than a rocket.    In fact, I think I'll call my next rover the Dodo.

On the poll: I'd very much like to see wheels and landing gear that aren't janky as all hell, don't bounce or slide around unrealistically, and actually behave like wheels rather than exceedingly jittery point colliders.

24 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Have you tried building them in the SPH, and then importing them into the VAB?

This is the way, along with watching control-point orientation.

Why is it hard? You just slap wheels on anything you want and ta-dah. Sure there is Rovemate, but for me it's only a nice surface to attach stuff on, and I don't even need it to make a rover.

For example, this is my latest Mk1 (as I call everything that uses these tiny wheels) creation:

DRXTCuRUQAAutYb.jpg:large

Battery, probe, some experiments, solar panels and wheels. Looks like a bug and works like one. Hard and needs sun to work hah.

40 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Why is it hard? You just slap wheels on anything you want and ta-dah. Sure there is Rovemate, but for me it's only a nice surface to attach stuff on, and I don't even need it to make a rover.

For example, this is my latest Mk1 (as I call everything that uses these tiny wheels) creation:

DRXTCuRUQAAutYb.jpg:large

Battery, probe, some experiments, solar panels and wheels. Looks like a bug and works like one. Hard and needs sun to work hah.

This. KSP rover wheels are really, ridiculously good compared with real life ones (200km/h top speed is comparable to high speed trains, which only travel on smooth rails). 

screenshot4.png

https://kerbalx.com/TheFlyingKerman/Sparo-3

On 6/17/2018 at 11:01 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

This. KSP rover wheels are really, ridiculously good compared with real life ones (200km/h top speed is comparable to high speed trains, which only travel on smooth rails). 

screenshot4.png

https://kerbalx.com/TheFlyingKerman/Sparo-3

Yeah, MSL (Curiosity) on Mars has a top speed of something like 6cm/s (that’s like 0.06 m/s) so the KSP wheels are really fast.

But that makes them more fun!

On 6/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

I second this.

I made a jet rover once doing 430+ kp/h using the TR L2 wheels assisted by a wheesley, clipping several pairs of wheels inside one another to absorb terrain and also using decouplers as suspension/shock absorbers to minimize wheel breakage and it could traverse the grasslands on Kerbin at that speed (in the average vicinity of 113 m/s). In terms of speed over surface by comparison is similar to driving a Bugatti Veyron at full speed through i.e. the Nevada dessert or over Irish grass hills without breaking anything on the way.

Any sane suggestion about rover wheels would be nerfing them, but it is kinda cool and I bet many will agree so it's better here to stay.

On 6/17/2018 at 4:14 AM, Gargamel said:

Have you tried building them in the SPH, and then importing them into the VAB

Wait the VAB? What's that?

I personally almost never use that building. The exception being RO stuff.

Back to the topic - In general I'd like to see a lot more small parts. For replicas and what not as well as fine detailing and stuff. Smaller wheels would be a nice thing to have too.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:31 PM, qzgy said:

Wait the VAB? What's that?

I personally almost never use that building. The exception being RO stuff.

Back to the topic - In general I'd like to see a lot more small parts. For replicas and what not as well as fine detailing and stuff. Smaller wheels would be a nice thing to have too.

Did you play the tutorials? The VAB is the Vehicle Assembly Building, and the SPH is the Spaceplane Hangar.

And I would like to see smaller parts too. The sizing is ridiculous sometimes compared to real-life parts.

Edited by Skywalket

Just now, Skywalket said:

Did you play the tutorials? The VAB is the Vehicle Assembly Building, and the SPH is the Spaceplane Hangar.

it was a joke....... I would hope that came across..... I am perfectly aware of each meaning and i would hope I knew them after playing the game for 2 and a half years......

Also, No I didn't play the tutorials.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

it was a joke....... I would hope that came across..... I am perfectly aware of each meaning and i would hope I knew them after playing the game for 2 and a half years......

Also, No I didn't play the tutorials.

Ah. Sorry about that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.