The 1.3.1 Club

Dafni

On 6/22/2018 at 7:58 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

GRAND TOUR?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?! I'm doing one here:

I appreciate the invite but I'd have to start proving things rather than just enjoy my wanderings.  Besides, I haven't played stock since I found mods existed :)  Good luck with your challenge.

And since I'm here, I'll add the first image to this thread of what I'm tooling around in. Needs a few upgrades but she'll do.

MEv9MBw.png

52 minutes ago, Trann said:

I appreciate the invite but I'd have to start proving things rather than just enjoy my wanderings.  Besides, I haven't played stock since I found mods existed :)  Good luck with your challenge.

And since I'm here, I'll add the first image to this thread of what I'm tooling around in. Needs a few upgrades but she'll do.

MEv9MBw.png

It actually REQUIRES mods.

I'm keeping most of my business in 1.3.1, and I'm keeping realism overhaul stuff in 1.2.2. However, I have a few experimental 1.4.x installs to test mods and mess around with the new chutes. I'm planning on migrating my installs to 1.4 once mods are updated.

49 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

I'm on 1.4.3, but I have a 1.3.1 install still available. There are certain bugs on 1.4.3 that get to me, but then again, there are mods that only work in 1.4.x, so yeah...

This. My choice as well. The downtime for just waiting for 1.4.x to catch up, if ever, is not an option. But we are in a catch22 situation here as you say with mods that will only work in 1.4.x

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have 1.4.3  currently but thought I retry 1.3.1 with RSS.

That was a week ago and if im honest I havnt fired up 1.4.3 at all. I do think 1.3.1 is running a lot smoother on my laptop even with more mods.

I consider myself a new member of this club :)

Hmm.

I'm on the current version to start my newest save...

...but the thought of all that modded goodness...

No! NO! That path leads to MADNESS!!

Must...use...only...the mods...I need...to LIVE! (KER, SCANSat, currently, but really struggling not to install FF, KIS/KAS, USI *.*, etc...only thing keeping me sane is that most aren't updated)

I'm currently in low-power gaming mode, just using my old laptop to eek along...if I install 20+ mods, it will melt.

-Jn-

28 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

...if I install 20+ mods, it will melt.

I felt the same way when I was trying to upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.4.3. So I only installed "the basics" which IMO are essential functional mods, not mods that dramatically change gameplay or add a lot of extra parts. 

My 1.3.1 save is the farthest along, with about 20 flights in progress and a couple really huge space stations. But I can't make that one run yet in 1.4.x because some mods were still updating.

So I did a completely fresh install for 1.4.3 and a brand new save game. I was determined to only add only the basics. I actually found the game runs really smoothly. With only my basic mods installed, it's lightweight and doesn't chew up that much RAM (which the parts mods or heavy functionality mods tend to do. My 1.4.3 game loads in like 3 min vs. 10-15 before).

For reference, here's my essentials list, I think a majority of these are upgraded even to 1.4.x right now:

Spoiler

**Key Functionality**

Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.2)

MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.7.0.0)

MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.2)

Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.7.0)

HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.6.0)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.3)

Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.1)

TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.14)

**VAB/SPH**

RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.5)

--> Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.9)  **Required by RCSBuildAid now

--> ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.5) **Required by RCSBuildAid now

HangerExtender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.3.2)

Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.19.3)

TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.3.7)

The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.3)

BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.3.1)

TRP-Hire (TRPHire 0.6.8)

Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 2.10.3)

Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 2.10.3)

**Maneuvering & Flight**

Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.9.1)

BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.6.1)

BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.9)

Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 1.5)

Trajectories (Trajectories v1.7.1)

Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0)

Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0)

Keep It Straight (KeepItStraight 1.0.3)

Alternate Resource Panel (AlternateResourcePanel v2.9.3.0)

Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 15.1)

--> Community Train Icons **Required for Portrait Stats

**Graphics** (I believe these do have some performance impact)

Stock Visual Enhancements (StockVisualEnhancements 3:1.2.8.0)

--> Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)  **Bundled with SVE

Stock Visual Enhancements-Medium Resolution Textures (SVE-MediumResolution 3:1.0.3)

scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0320b)

scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0320b)

scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0320b)

Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1)

Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.9.1)

The other nice thing about going from 1.3.x to 1.4.x is that they fixed a number of annoying bugs (a few mentioned in the thread above) that I didn't notice too often in 1.3, but would run up against every now and again. I would agree newer isn't always better, but this has been a nice upgrade for me.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:23 PM, Trann said:

MEv9MBw.png

Really like what you've got there! Can you point out some of the functionality for this ship? I can tell most of it, but wondering how you're planning to use it all?

Edited by scottadges

From your list, mine's more like this:

Spoiler

**Key Functionality**

Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.2)

Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.7.0)

Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.1)

TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.14)

**VAB/SPH**

TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.3.7)

**Maneuvering & Flight**

Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.9.1)

Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0)

Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0)

I also run with:

SCANSat

AVC

Final Frontier

KAS/KIS

Almost all the USI stuff

Deep Freeze

Indicator Lights

Chatterer

...and a bunch of others that have fallen out of updates, like Infernal Robotics, etc...I've got a list somewhere!

But the only ones I really struggle without are KER and SCANSat.

KER really should be in the game.

-Jn-

Still on Club 1.3.1 as well. I couldn't be bothered with 1.4.x since I read that it was buggy again. And the 1.3.1 installs (with different sets of mods) are as stable as I like it to be. I think I'll be on 1.3.1 for a while still. Haven't got to all the cb's in New Horizons for example, and so much to do in the Outer Planets install as well! Once I lose interest in those installs, I'll concider updating...

Edited by Epicdreamer
Textual correction

I have yet to move on from 1.3.1 too, mainly because 1.3.1 has proven remarkably stable despite the number of mods (some of which are actually made for even older versions of the game) I have in use, and because many of the mods I use have yet to be updated for 1.4.1. I am considering transitioning to 1.4.1 once the mods I use are all updated for it, as personal kerbal parachutes is a big draw, but it's not pressing for me.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, scottadges said:

Really like what you've got there! Can you point out some of the functionality for this ship? I can tell most of it, but wondering how you're planning to use it all?

MEv9MBw.png

The Main Drive reaches to just past the dishes; The Refinery has solar panels atop a converter and four large ore containers, two deep drills and two thermal control panels with a quad-engine arrangement around it all; there is a reducer from the center line of the Refinery to the Lander's science pod; The Lander is a tri-engine arrangement feeding its center core.  A previous generation of this ship went to Duna and proved the design was reasonable enough to push out to Jool.  That version also held a modular survey scanner that coupled between any two ships but the extra weight and delta-V required to attain a decent polar orbit meant I sent scanning probes in advance of this ship's arrival, instead.

Once establishing a low orbit, the usual mission profile begins with Main Drive refuelling.  Detatch the Lander and back off a bit.  The Refinery is detached and side-steps to clear the re-coupling of the Lander and Main Drive.  The Refinery de-orbits, sets down, mines, and tops up all her tanks before meeting up with the Main Drive again.  Dock between again (fore-aft arrangement doesn't matter) and convert ore to liquid fuel.  Repeat until the main drive is full.  At this point, we switch to Science and Exploration.  The Lander scopes out biomes of interest (especially in tight arrangements) and sets down, gathers science, plants the flag to mark it as done, and rejoins the Main Drive.  A refuelling run is made if needed to top up the Lander; on exceptionally low-gravity bodies, I can dock the Refinery and Lander nose-to-nose and land the Refinery with the Lander suspended upside down.  Repeat the gathering of science until all biomes have been visited.

I've done Vall, Bop, and Pol completely; I managed to set the Lander down on Tylo once but barely made orbit again.  I also need to think about how to handle Laythe: chutes will get either lander down but 1) I have to do the math to see if the Refinery is efficient enough to haul ore uphill and be net-positive for fuel and 2) the previous generation of this ship allowed the Lander to jettison the side-tanks for reduced mass to reach orbit; I can't have this if I want repeated landings.

The ship is preparing to head back to Kerbin for upgrades.  It holds 241 bits of science which should be fun to cash in.

Thanks for asking!

I did install 1.4,  and bought the Making History expansion, but I have not done much with them.  I looked at the new parts; parachutes and engine plates will be nice.  I copied a save-game over and tried DMagic's mod "Tracking Station Evolved" which is very nice.  I played one 'Mission' which was nice for the novelty but I won't play any more.  I filed several bug reports.

I play version 1.3.1 for fun.  The good bits of 1.4 will still be there after the dust settles.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, Gargamel said:

Why 1.4.1?  Why not the latest version which has most of the bugs stamped out (1.4.4)?  Or was that a typo?

Frankly, it's because I had no idea what the current version was and either thought it was still 1.4.1 or was trying to generally refer to the 1.4 series and didn't want to truncate the version number, I can't quite remember.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally crossed over to the dark side and upgraded to 1.4.3.

Chose that version because all my mods have either upgraded to that version or are stable in it.

Played around with it a bit yesterday and all seems to be well.

Happy flying everyone.

MM

On 7/9/2018 at 1:59 AM, Remass said:

Frankly, it's because I had no idea what the current version was and either thought it was still 1.4.1 or was trying to generally refer to the 1.4 series and didn't want to truncate the version number, I can't quite remember.

Because a few bugs on 1.4.4 are so nasty that we prefer to live with the old ones. People using KK and Kopernicus know what I mean.

10 hours ago, Lisias said:

Because a few bugs on 1.4.4 are so nasty that we prefer to live with the old ones. People using KK and Kopernicus know what I mean.

What's up with Kopernicus on 1.4?  I'm still in the 1.3.1 club, so I am unawares.

43 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

What's up with Kopernicus on 1.4?  I'm still in the 1.3.1 club, so I am unawares.

On 1.4.4 . It's working fine on 1.4.3 .

If I understand correctly, there was an optimisation on a subsystem that rendered Copernicus and KerbalKonstructor high and dry. The problem is known and expected to be dealt on 1.4.5 .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.