The 1.3.1 Club

Dafni

On 2/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, steve_v said:

My thoughts exactly. I thought 1.8.1 was close, and 1.8.2 might be the one... then they blew it. Again. Just like last time we got close to a properly playable infuriation-free release

I've played every version to some degree since 1.3.1, hoping that we'll get a good stopping place that I won't bother updating again.  And 1.8.1 was so close - it certainly ran much smoother for me than anything since 1.3.1.  My usual strategy for updates is keep playing my mod game while waiting for mod updates, but still updating the steam install right after release so I can play with it a bit to see what's changed.  When 1.9 dropped, I saw new bug complaints before I saw the message that 1.9 was out, so I actually haven't bothered this time.  I'll probably update to 1.9.1 this weekend and see if it wants to behave.  For now I'm pretty content with 1.8.1, running both a 20% science rewards career (shameless plug) and have started messing with JNSQ for a possible new career that has me relearning how to do pretty much everything. 

58 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I'm starting to think this is not an accident, but something purposely perpetrated.

Well it certainly inflates interest in new releases... Until one actually tries to play them.

12 hours ago, steve_v said:

Well it certainly inflates interest in new releases... Until one actually tries to play them.

not working anymore. They need a new trick - as publishing useable releases for a change.

Spoiler

Question is, how reliable are these numbers? I'd think that most of the long time players like me don't use the steam install but copy the KSP folder to another location and play from that, hence don't contribute to this statistics.

Edited by VoidSquid

5 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Question is, how reliable are these numbers? I'd think that most of the long time players like me don't use the steam install but copy the KSP folder to another location and play from that, hence don't contribute to this statistics.

TL;DR : If Steam Charts (and the Bug Track) are not reliable, what to say about you? (not a contempt against you - just blunt logic)

How reliable are your statements? Do you have any evidence that most of the long time players like you don't use steam? How many of us (as me too don't use steam) are out there? Are we the norm or are we exceptions?

The only guys that really have these reliable figures are Private Division and perhaps Squad, as they are the ones with access to the cash flow and Unity telemetry. Everybody else can only take the publicly available numbers and try to find trends on it. 

We don't need to do it "right". It's enough and sufficient to have it "not too wrongly" - and, currently, the most reliable (besides not exactly comprehensive) source if information I have are Steam Charts and the Bug Track. Please give me any more reliable sources of information and I will gladly use it.

22 minutes ago, Lisias said:

TL;DR : If Steam Charts (and the Bug Track) are not reliable, what to say about you? (not a contempt against you - just blunt logic)

How reliable are your statements? Do you have any evidence that most of the long time players like you don't use steam? How many of us (as me too don't use steam) are out there? Are we the norm or are we exceptions?

The only guys that really have these reliable figures are Private Division and perhaps Squad, as they are the ones with access to the cash flow and Unity telemetry. Everybody else can only take the publicly available numbers and try to find trends on it. 

We don't need to do it "right". It's enough and sufficient to have it "not too wrongly" - and, currently, the most reliable (besides not exactly comprehensive) source if information I have are Steam Charts and the Bug Track. Please give me any more reliable sources of information and I will gladly use it.

The problem is that we don't have accurate numbers to tell us how accurate the Steam figures are.

So we frankly don't know if we know or not.

A similar issue is using this forum to ask the "user base" for answers.

The problem is that it's just a fraction of the "user base" that's ever registered here, and a fraction of that fraction that logs in and reads anything and an even smaller fraction of the fraction of the fraction that ever posts.

(And no, I'm not a steam user, and I block the unity stats in my firewall ;) )

29 minutes ago, Lisias said:

(not a contempt against you - just blunt logic)

Yeah modern times of PC and snowflakes :D 
All good, I love logic and reason!

30 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Do you have any evidence

Naturally not. That's why I deliberately said "I'd think".

31 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Unity telemetry

Not even that, regarding me, I disabled any such communications.

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Please give me any more reliable sources of information and I will gladly use it.

I'd think those numbers are good for showing a general trend maybe, I'l happily admit, but the numbers itself, imo not reliable at all. I'd guess one would have to add a big horizontal baseline.

38 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

The problem is that we don't have accurate numbers to tell us how accurate the Steam figures are.

We don't need to be accurate. It's enough to be more or less on the right track.

I.e. : I don't need to know how much users are playing KSP right now in the World. What I need is to know the current trend . Are the numbers raising or dropping? What's the slope of that curve?

Statistics works (when you know how to use it).

38 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

(And no, I'm not a steam user, and I block the unity stats in my firewall ;) )

What doesn't affects the trending. ;)

34 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I'd think those numbers are good for showing a general trend maybe, I'l happily admit, but the numbers itself, imo not reliable at all. I'd guess one would have to add a big horizontal baseline.

Exactly. The numbers itself are meaningless for our purposes, what's really matters are the curve slopes.

However, without giving you the numbers, how you could verify if I'm telling the true? I could easily pulled out numbers from my SAS to built that chart - but by giving you the numbers and the source, you can rebuild the chart by yourself and validade my data.

And with my data validated, we can discuss about educated and reasoned guesses about how to read it.

Edited by Lisias
Eternal typos from the Englishless mind.

16 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Not from me they don't. Lovely to see others blocking it too.

You know - and I'm getting very off topic here, so if you want to continue the conversation, I suggest PMs - 2013, Snowden, that was the last straw that broke my camel's back, since then I don't have a mobile phone anymore (not that I ever had much use for it, for various reasons). 

I like my privacy :) 

14 minutes ago, Lisias said:

how you could verify if I'm telling the true?

I can't. Do I need to?

Trust.

The very foundation of our civilization.

Just now, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

By the way what are you guys talking about?

The unity engine is massively "calling home".

See this thread for example:

14 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:
32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

how you could verify if I'm telling the true?

I can't. Do I need to?

Trust.

Yes, you need. I'm human, I make mistakes, I can be honestly unknowingly biased.

You can honestly tell what you think is the true at the same time making a stupid mistake about how to interpret information. :)

Just now, VoidSquid said:

Dunno, just ask him?

Nope, I'm not there - wherever it is. :)

Just now, Lisias said:

I'm human, I make mistakes, I can be honestly unknowingly biased.

You can honestly tell what you think is the true at the same time making a stupid mistake about how to interpret information. :)

I'd love to continue this, but this is way too much off topic regarding this thread. With all due respect, let's continue it here, ok?

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

We don't need to be accurate. It's enough to be more or less on the right track.

I.e. : I don't need to know how much users are playing KSP right now in the World. What I need is to know the current trend . Are the numbers raising or dropping? What's the slope of that curve?

Statistics works (when you know how to use it).

Actually no.

Since you're only using one source of debateable quality.

What you are saying is that the trend, using that single source, is indicating something ;)

• 10 months later...

I love all the mods that were released and are still quite playable and stable on 1.3.1 ! So far, with no exceptions and multiple config changes, I am running more than 120 mods with OPM, Stock Visual Enhancement, Universal Storage 2, Infernal Robotics Reworked, Scatterer, Procedural Parts,plus some elements of Kopernicus expansion without anything bad going on, and no exceptions, with pretty Kerbal-ish framerates depending on parts :). Game loaded, I am at 4.5gm ram and it's ossilating between 4.2 and 5.5gb over 2-4 hours depending on how many quickloads I use ;)

My Sarnus vessel

Jeb, who is pretty happy about all of this!

Ubio Welding Co.  need a working patch for 1.3.1.

KSP: 1.3.1 (Win64)

Unity: 5.4.0p4

000_AT_Utils - 1.5
Filter Extensions - 3.2.0.3
Toolbar - 1.7.16.5
USI Tools - 0.10.2
Ambient Light Adjustment - 2.6.3.8
B9 Part Switch - 2.1.1
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.9
CameraTools - 1.9
Chatterer - 0.9.93.1804
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.2
Community Category Kit - 2.0.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.8.1
CommunityTechTree - 3.2.1
Community Trait Icons - 1.1.1
Contract Configurator - 1.23.3
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.2.1
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy - 1.1.7
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7.0.2
Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 2.1.4
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
Contract Reward Modifier - 1.0.2.5
Community Terrain Texture Pack - 1.0.4
Custom Asteroids - 1.5
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.16
DangIt - 0.7.16
AGExt - 2.3.2.3
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.11
Contract Parser - 1.0.7
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.1
Progress Parser - 1.0.8
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.2
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.9
Firespitter - 7.7
FShangarExtender - 3.5.2
GroundConstruction - 1.2.1
HullcamVDSContinued - 0.1.8
Impact - 1.6.2.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 3.12
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.3
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.5.1
KerbalKonstructs - 1.3.9.11
HyperEdit - 1.5.6
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.9.6571.274
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.3.1.15
KronalVesselViewer - 0.0.8
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
Lights Out - 0.2.2
LoadingScreenManager - 1.2.3.4
LucMods - 1.0
Infernal Robots - 2.0.14
MarkIVSystem - 2.4.1
MCM - 2.1.2
MechJebForAll - 1.3.0.6
Modular Rocket Systems Lite - 1.13.1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.7
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.4
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.8
NearFutureProps - 0.3
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.6
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.8
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.7
EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2.1.6
Final Frontier - 1.3.1.3103
S.A.V.E - 1.4.7.2860
OuterPlanetsMod - 2.2.8
PAWRangeBuff - 0.2.2
Photon Sailor - 1.4.8
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15.1
Procedural Wings - 0.12.2
Procedural Parts - 1.3.18
QuickGoTo - 1.3.3
QuickSearch - 3.2
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1.2
RealChute - 1.4.5
RemoteTech - 1.8.8
AmpYear - 1.5.1
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.7
SCANsat - 1.1.8.4
Ship Effects Continued - 1.0.8.2
Ship Manifest - 5.2
SpaceY Expanded - 1.3.1
SpaceY Lifters - 1.16
StageRecovery - 1.7.2
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.0.2
StationScienceContinued - 2.3
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.5
Strategia - 1.6
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.6.6484.37549
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 7.2
TAC Life Support - 0.13.7
Trajectories - 2.3.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
TweakScale - 2.3.7
UbioWeldingLtd-Continued - 2.5.2
USI Core - 0.5.1
Freight Transport Tech - 0.8.1
Konstruction - 0.3
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.8
Universal Storage - 1.4
Universal Storage 2 (1.3.1) - 1.3.1.10
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.15
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.23
Waypoint Manager - 2.7
WildBlueTools - 1.40
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.6.1
Buffalo - 2.3.4
Pathfinder - 1.21

Edited by Lucke001

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Dafni said:

Who's still here??    :)

Vice-chairperson of the 1.3.1 Forever-as-long-as-we-need-to-wait-for-an-acceptable-alternative Club, reporting.

I started out writing a few paragraphs about how and why ... but what's the point, really. No one wants to read that, and it's not gonna make a bit of difference anyway.

On to 1.12.1. Maybe that'll be The One. Hah. But maybe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.