The 1.3.1 Club

Dafni

I had intended to switch to version 1.6.1, but in fact I stayed with 1.3.1 until after version 1.7.3 came out.

Version 1.3.1 was is very nice for a lot of the reasons in the top post, and version 1.7.3 shares a lot of those advantages.

Each of 1.3.1 and 1.7.3 was the version just before switching to a new version of Unity, which might improve performance but also seems to uncover bugs.  A lot of code inadvertently depends on undefined assumptions about the behavior of library it uses, and the worse the documentation of the library, the more behavior is undefined.  The new version of the library is liable to violate those mistaken assumptions, so what worked before no longer works.

It is nice to have the ability to keep two versions of KSP around, the one we trust and the latest, so we can keep what we like and don't feel we are missing out.

On 2/9/2021 at 5:28 AM, dave1904 said:

I understood this club back before 1.8.1(or 1.7or 1.9) was released with major performance increases. But right now I cannot understand why someone would play on 1.3.1. FPS is far more important to me than bugs. 

After a ton of tests, I can get a very decent 30fps with 120+ parts. there is only one thing that I have witnessed however, it takes about 30 seconds to stabilize the physics load on 1.3.1 when you switch to a vessel. besides that, it's pretty fluid. A disadvantage I found is that multiple planet packs tends to throw exceptions. I have been able to have Outer Planets Mod running smooth in career mode and now I am adding The Boris System and another pretty cool one so far, TheWorldBeyond .

Edited by Lucke001

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.